The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Took a Day Off  (Read 1262 times)

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
Took a Day Off
« on: Apr 03, 2008, 06:34 PM »
I thought I would be smart and take Thursday off as the weather looked good. Fairly cold (for April) in the morning and with a good stiff breeze out of the south it was down right un-Aprilish. Dressed a little light, I started thinking of all the work I could be getting done at the office.

Well it started to warm up some and this 8.9 lbs came shooting up through the hole after a couple of runs. I mean shooting up, this thing came flying out of the hole!

Had some good teeth.

Have not seen too many of these guys as other reported but this one was laying on top of the ice as it melted.

The snow geese made an appearance.

With the dark rocks and this week's earlier rain and warm the edges really took a beating.

But I was able to find an area where it wasn't so bad and got set up.

With the warm afternoon sun it became very nice. I had one last flag and as I approached I could hear the reel just tinging. When I got over the hole the reel was still smoking and I was getting towards the end of the spool. I have only been spooled once, and that was on Eagle Lake in Maine with a Lake Trout on a -10 below day in March. Since it looked like he was not stopping anytime soon I applied a slow brake and just like that it was over. When I pulled the line back up my 40 Lb mono leader had been cut off. I have caught Pike in the high teens and I have never had a problem with that leader...not once...until today!

It turn out to be a good day - hell a great day since I didn't work. Hopefully there will be one more day on the ice before I start getting the boat ready!

Offline fish rascal

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Took a Day Off
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2008, 03:10 PM »
Nice pics and great story
Cast and Blast!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Ice Shanty  pictures for sure. Shame on you thinkin bout work.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2008, 05:00 PM »
 :tipup:           METOVT:
You take great pics! Nice northern! If you don't mind my asking where abouts where you fishing?
BTW I lost 4 nice fish(pike) this year experimenting with fluoro leaders (up to 25 lb. test) :tipup:

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:52 AM »
:tipup:           METOVT:
You take great pics! Nice northern! If you don't mind my asking where abouts where you fishing?
BTW I lost 4 nice fish(pike) this year experimenting with fluoro leaders (up to 25 lb. test) :tipup:

Thanks. I was on Champlain in St. Albans (you can PM me if you want specifics). I use Maxima line for my leaders when I troll and for my leaders on my ice fishing lines. I like the fact that the line seems to disappear when put in the water and it doesn't seem to bother the action of the bait even at 40 lbs. I'll continue to stick with them for now.

I was out yesterday and it looks like that will be the end of it for this year...it's time anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.