The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pelot's Bay this weekend  (Read 1761 times)

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
Pelot's Bay this weekend
« on: Mar 26, 2008, 10:09 AM »

What is this on this northern??? you guys see this a lot??  It was bleeding when i pulled it out of the hole!  i  have heard that the pike have a disease...different from VHS....but definately not a lamprey hit..have any of you seen this

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
Re: Pelot's Bay this weekend
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2008, 11:50 AM »
I have seen it on a few fish. Being fairly new up here I'm not sure what it is. A friend told me it was a growth of sorts and said a biologist had told him it will fall off.

Good thing it's all catch and release for me because it's appetizing. :sick:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2008, 11:52 AM »
 fish can have "ulcers" on them. that's what it looks like. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Smada_Evad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish Therfore I am
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2008, 07:12 PM »
fish can have "ulcers" on them. that's what it looks like. ;D

What you are seeing is called Lymphosarcoma it is a virus that only effects pike, muskie and pickeral, this is not related to VHS and pike actually heal from this virus however it is more fatal in muskie. what it does is cause cancerous sores on the skin and in the muscle of northern pike  It has no affect on humans and is not a threat to people who handle the fish. 
Aproximately how many of the pike that you caught had these marks?  What size, and where where the marks located.  The VTFWD is working on collecting information on this to track where it is found, most has been found north of Keelers Bay. 

I hope this helps

Dave

PS:  Looks like a hell of a time on the ice!  I was fishing off savage point and got into some nice ones myself, nothing in the teens but 3 10's  so it wasn't all bad   ;)

Tight Lines and Full Buckets

Offline METOVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maine to Vermont & Back
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2008, 07:57 AM »
What you are seeing is called Lymphosarcoma it is a virus that only effects pike, muskie and pickeral, this is not related to VHS and pike actually heal from this virus however it is more fatal in muskie. what it does is cause cancerous sores on the skin and in the muscle of northern pike  It has no affect on humans and is not a threat to people who handle the fish. 
Aproximately how many of the pike that you caught had these marks?  What size, and where where the marks located.  The VTFWD is working on collecting information on this to track where it is found, most has been found north of Keelers Bay. 

I hope this helps

Dave

PS:  Looks like a hell of a time on the ice!  I was fishing off savage point and got into some nice ones myself, nothing in the teens but 3 10's  so it wasn't all bad   ;)

Good info. thanks

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2008, 03:32 PM »
i don't know, i have seen lymphosarcoma before and it didn't look quite like that, it wasn't raised as much....but it could be, i sent a pic to th VTF+G just to let them know.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:36 AM »

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.