The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspien first timer  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
Caspien first timer
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 05:35 PM »
So this Saturday I'm meeting a friend from new Hampshire at caspien (its halfway for us)

I have never even seen the lake, nevermind fish it.. I'm asking,for some help!!

I'm mainly a perch jigger but we want to try jigging for lakers or browns.. Any tips, info general location would be immensely appreciated!!

We both have flashers so that'll be helpful.. But honestly, I dont even know where to start when it comes to Lakers.. Any tips on techniques lure selection and if someone would be so kind as to point me in a general direction of a place to start fishing.. I am going to look around on navionics tonight, should I look for steep drop iffs? Points, humps? Help a rookie out! Thanks

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Re: Caspien first timer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Get there early like 4, 5am pimples work well there. Nightcrawlers in tight with jigging starting at 25 fow an keep moving till you get on fish.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply! Shoild I look for steep areas? Flats? Points? Or just look for 25 foot and fish?

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:31 PM »
Thank everyone for the messages! Amazing support!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Thank everyone for the messages! Amazing support!

Has it dawned on you that maybe the folks on this forum aren't knowledgeable about Caspian? Maybe that is why you got  only one good response!

Offline Sn0789

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Tomorrow is the Greensboro fire department derby at Caspian so there will be plenty of people there to talk to and get to know the lake a little.  Some fish close to the dam just to the right of the launch and claim to catch rainbows.  The back side is decent but a haul to get to.  I have luck with rapalas.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Has it dawned on you that maybe the folks on this forum aren't knowledgeable about Caspian? Maybe that is why you got  only one good response!

Has it dawned on you that not everyone on here is passive aggressive and I was actually being genuine and thanking everyone that messaged me via DM..? Including a few that were kind enough to give me waypoints and what certain baits to use..

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Tomorrow is the Greensboro fire department derby at Caspian so there will be plenty of people there to talk to and get to know the lake a little.  Some fish close to the dam just to the right of the launch and claim to catch rainbows.  The back side is decent but a haul to get to.  I have luck with rapalas.

Hopefully not to busy! Thanks for the info.. I'm hoping the snow got knocked down a little to make walking a little easier!

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:07 PM »
The north end of the lake has always been the most productive for me. Try jigging around underwater structure, such as reefs, ledges, and trenches. Around where brooks come in can be productive too. Have had most luck in 30-60 FOW. Smelt imitation swim shads work well, especially if you reel swiftly up from near bottom when a fish shows on the finder. If you can catch a few smelt, putting a whole dead one hooked through the lips on a heavy gold spoon or kast master also works well when jigging, particularly when the lakers are being picky. They won't always hit the smelt setup when they first close in on the finder, but if you let it sink to bottom and leave your bail open, most times they will follow it down to bottom, and then pick it up and take off. Good luck!

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:12 PM »
The few times I've been to Caspian, I had the best luck in 30-60ft just like weather man said. White tube jig, move till you mark em then make em chase it.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2019, 03:22 AM »
Thank you guys.. I'm pretty excited to head up there this morning.. I'll be happy to just catch one laker but we'll see how it goes.. I'll report back

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04:08 AM »
Has it dawned on you that not everyone on here is passive aggressive and I was actually being genuine and thanking everyone that messaged me via DM..? Including a few that were kind enough to give me waypoints and what certain baits to use..

My bad ,I thought you were being a whiny millenial and I apologize .Good luck fishing!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2019, 11:00 AM »
 :)

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2019, 02:44 PM »
My bad ,I thought you were being a whiny millenial and I apologize .Good luck fishing!

Unfortunately I am a millenial (33 yrs old) but I don't "identify" as one!! Haha :-\

This forum has been great, I have nothing negative to say about it., I cansee how that unintentionally came off as a snotty comment.. My apologies!

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info.. Found them in a deep basin type area (about 50') and hooked into 6 managed to land 4.. Missed another few on the hooked as well.. Pretty busy out there today. But I'll definitely be going back

Offline schmidtxc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Tough drag today, or was the snow packed down a bit? Trying to decide between Caspian and Dunmore for tomorrow.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:52 PM »
It was definitely a tough drag! Try and find a snowmobile path of where someone plowed..

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Tough drag today, or was the snow packed down a bit? Trying to decide between Caspian and Dunmore for tomorrow.

There is less snow down here near Dunmore. I haven't been out today, but we had rain last night and a freeze so it is probably a few packed inches now.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Congrats glad you had a good day.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:41 AM »
Sounds like a good day on the ice!

Offline The Butcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Way to go get on some new water and figure it out!! Nice Work!

Kuddo's to all those that reached out and shared info!!! Love hearing that!!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #21 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:58 PM »
I fished there last year for the first time in a looong time just jigging with mimic minnows and raps and had some really good days my best was the day I caught and released 23 fish. Went up once this year so far and got one. I’d like to go more but with no vehicle atm and working nights I really don’t have the energy to get up and go early lol
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.