The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Van Everest today  (Read 5097 times)

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
Van Everest today
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:33 PM »
All the snow and rain combine have smoothed the ice out like glass. Was all anchor ice earlier . With the freeze coming and a little snow things look good for walking conditions. :)  headed down tomorrow to give it a try.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Van Everest today
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:14 PM »
Nice!  10 day forecast shows doesn't show any temps above freezing.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:48 PM »
I drove down today to check it out.. It had smoothed out.. Didn't walk out but it definitely looked wet.. I'm busy all weekend, but might pull a sick day on Monday depending on the weather! Keep me posted stick eyes!

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:46 AM »
Sounds good that anchor ice was real tough walking before, think I was the first to venture out there. The ice was moving a lot earlier, there would be big open cracks that would appear. Be careful and tight lines
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Went out today. Ice is smooth but need a little more cold, as every few steps you break thru top ice into about 1 inch of water. Probably won't be a problem after tonight. Real windy out there. Bit was slow for me.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:50 AM »
Heading out today.. Forgot it was free fishing day. So had a hellnof a time finding bait.. Had to settle with medium hunts.. Great day for it though! I'll report back

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Awesome day today.. Ice was in good shape.. About 10".  Pretty busy out there as expected, but managed to catch 226 in a little under 5 hours between the two of us.. Let the cleaning begin!

Anyone else get out? If so, how'd ya do?

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Nice catch
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline FishHawkVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2019, 03:38 PM »
Adam, any whites in the haul?

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2019, 05:28 PM »
it was great weather for free fishing day. Good to hear lots of people out. Glad you got into them.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Adam, any whites in the haul?

Never saw any.. Hooked into something big though. Never saw it.. Just sat on the bottom pulling drag slowly.. Felt like a damn log.. Then poof, spits the hook.. No idea what it was

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:52 AM »
Saw lots of people out there, counted over 75.
The perch bite slow, only a dozen keepers, not many throwbacks either, but we didn't hole hop since I had newbies with me we just camped on a few holes and ran a few tipups

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Did really well away from the crowds yesterday. Walked off with about 2 buckets worth between 3 people.  Had to keep moving or else dinks would come in eating the puked up alewives. Kept only bigger medium and up.  Also hooked something big and fast about 15' down in 50 FoW...couple big head shakes, screaming drag and then gone.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:29 PM »
That wind got bad.  saw one guy drive out with a suv.  plenty of ice i suppose.

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:04 PM »
Did really well away from the crowds yesterday. Walked off with about 2 buckets worth between 3 people.  Had to keep moving or else dinks would come in eating the puked up alewives. Kept only bigger medium and up.  Also hooked something big and fast about 15' down in 50 FoW...couple big head shakes, screaming drag and then gone.

What do you think it was?!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:37 PM »
What do you think it was?!
Probably a dink perch double! Seems to be plenty of dink perch there.
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:46 PM »
just got back from there.  wind is brutal . Like you said..lots of dinks. Wan't to go out deeper but the wind was too much for me.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:49 PM »
I was there Saturday and watched 50+ people all catching dinks, used binos and saw about 25-30 more people still catching dinks. Thats to many dinks for me to ever go back. Good luck at this spot... wasted my time and money; o well that is fishing. 
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:25 PM »
I was there Saturday and watched 50+ people all catching dinks, used binos and saw about 25-30 more people still catching dinks. Thats to many dinks for me to ever go back. Good luck at this spot... wasted my time and money; o well that is fishing.

I wouldnt judge a spot based off of what other people are catching.. But hey, that's road fishing.. Good luck at the next parking lot!  ;D all joking aside.. That place has produced most of my biggest perch to date..  I don't fish right out in front of the launch though.. There are better honey holes within eyesight of the launch though!!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:28 PM »

Put in some effort next time and try moving - maybe you'll find the bigger fish. I caught plenty of them.

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2019, 03:32 PM »
The bigger ones are there, move around and you'll find them. Don't have to stick to the crowd.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:05 PM »
I love fishing in that area.  I wan't to move around more  ...North  ;)  Easy walking.  Plenty of good fish in that area.   

Offline Pike Panther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I grew up 1/2 mile from the access in the 80s.  I consistently had good luck about 300 yards north of the access in 10' - 12' of water.  There used to be a purple camp on top of a 15' high bluff that I fished in front of.  Not sure if it is purple anymore but about 200 to 300 yards in front of that camp. 

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Stick eyes.. Sent you a message..

There are plenty of fish in that area with the majority above average and some are even in the jumbo category!

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Put in some effort next time and try moving - maybe you'll find the bigger fish. I caught plenty of them.
Each move ended up producing more dink perch! lol thank you though... even tried many different baits. just couldnt get away from the tiny ones.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I wouldnt judge a spot based off of what other people are catching.. But hey, that's road fishing.. Good luck at the next parking lot!  ;D all joking aside.. That place has produced most of my biggest perch to date..  I don't fish right out in front of the launch though.. There are better honey holes within eyesight of the launch though!!
I do not like the crowds. I'd rather be in a remote location.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline Adam.love05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I do not like the crowds. I'd rather be in a remote location.

Well every public boat launch will have crowds. I can guarantee that.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2019, 03:53 PM »
Might be a little busier than normal as georgia beach is still closed.. >:( and i don't think they have any interest in fixing the gate until ball season. They just don't want people to enjoy ice fishing. georgia has a long history of  bias. Thank god for state access areas .

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:28 AM »
Might be a little busier than normal as georgia beach is still closed.. >:( and i don't think they have any interest in fixing the gate until ball season. They just don't want people to enjoy ice fishing. georgia has a long history of  bias. Thank god for state access areas .

Not trying to stir up trouble here...but enough is enough.
Time to give the town manager an earful... town taxpayers support this park and being denied access is total BS.
This is a main access onto that portion of the lake, unless you want to drive all the way around to Hathaway launch access.
Bet if enough vehicles started pulling off the side of the road at the park and walking in it would get their attention too. This has been done at Cohen park before and surprisingly enough homeowners complained about the parked vehicles that the town open the gate up there in the winter for ice access.

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I agree mudchuck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.