The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch advice  (Read 2027 times)

Offline PerchReaper

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch advice
« on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:12 PM »
Any advice for someone trying to get on some fish without electronics and with a hand auger?

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Re: Perch advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:37 PM »
Keep drilling until you locate big school. Basic flasher very helpful for panfish.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 09:31 PM »
i did it for years and years like that, perch are pretty easy to catch.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:08 AM »
Any advice for someone trying to get on some fish without electronics and with a hand auger?

If no electronics, then you just have to drill & hole hop.
Suggest if you can look at a contour map (F&W has some on their website of ponds etc.), look for big mud flats with weedline edges and small humps, fish the weedline edges and small humps, and also look for big drop offs into deeper water onto the mudflats, fish the edge of the dropoff.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:29 AM »
Drill, drill, and drill some more-you will find them.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:33 AM »
If no electronics, then you just have to drill & hole hop.
Suggest if you can look at a contour map (F&W has some on their website of ponds etc.), look for big mud flats with weedline edges and small humps, fish the weedline edges and small humps, and also look for big drop offs into deeper water onto the mudflats, fish the edge of the dropoff.
Another good way to search if you're drilling multiple holes anyway, is to set out a half dozen or so tip ups with shiners while you're moving around and jigging. That way you're covering more area and potentially reducing the time it takes to get on fish. Get a flag and go catch the fish and then jig that hole. Frequently you'll be on a school and will catch several before they move on. When the action stops, re-bait and set up the tip up and continue moving around. This approach has saved me on days when the fish aren't particularly active.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:41 AM »
With Mudchuck all the way,   At least a contour map to get a clue.  Use the landmarks on shore to get close to the areas he suggests.  Use a sounder, 1-2 ft off the bottom. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:11 AM »
With Mudchuck all the way,   At least a contour map to get a clue.  Use the landmarks on shore to get close to the areas he suggests.  Use a sounder, 1-2 ft off the bottom.

I use boating app (Navionics) for lake/pond maps, and have flashers, so when I've studied an area, I can usually do well and only need to drill a few holes, and sometimes I can set up and stay on the same hole for long periods of time and don't have to hole hop...sometimes action is so hot & heavy, that when the school does move on its good because it gives me a break to pee, drink coffee, eat or redo bibbet/jig.

Just last Satuday I caught over 200 yellows, albeit most were dinks that went back, had @ 20:1 ratio on dinks to keepers, only drilled a pair of holes and stayed on them all day 6 hours.
It works good to study the contour maps.

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Lots of the perch grounds are pretty well known and produce year after year. I just go to those places and drill until I find them. There are always perch to be caught and once you find them the trick is to stay on them.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2019, 04:46 PM »
Once you find them........smash up some old bait and throw some in the hole now and again.

Creepers do a great job....lol
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:54 AM »
I often use a hand auger when I’m looking for perch, depending on ice depth. In shallower waters the noise of a power auger will often spook fish, along with any other noise on top of the ice. You’d be surprised how well sound travels down through, was fishing with a buddy years ago and at 15 ft down you could here us talking plain as day on his camera. Once on fish keeping bait in the water is key to keeping the school around your area, thus Bibets work best for getting your bait back down quickly. Hope this helps a bit. Tight lines
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:52 AM »
Once you find them........smash up some old bait and throw some in the hole now and again.

Creepers do a great job....lol

Does mashed perch egg sacks keep them in?

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2019, 10:35 AM »
Does anyone use a drop-shot type technique? If so... do you have any length of line coming from the main line before the hook? I know with summer drop-shots I tie a Palomar knot directly on the main line with no slack before the hook; Would slack before the hook get tangled? seeking options to get deeper quicker (not going to buy heavier tungsten jigs). thanks!
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:21 AM »
I fish a single lead bibbit for perch. If I am in deeper water I put on a bigger bibbit. The question on drop shotting is interesting to me since it works really well for deep water bass in open water season. Depending on what lure you are using why not rig it like summer set up? Only way to stop tangles if the lure has a leader would be to use really stout line from a swivel to the sinker and the lure if lite enough would kind of stand out. One of these days Ill try a 2nd bibbit on a drop shotting rig with the first bibbit on the bottom as a weight. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:25 AM »
I fish a single lead bibbit for perch. If I am in deeper water I put on a bigger bibbit. The question on drop shotting is interesting to me since it works really well for deep water bass in open water season. Depending on what lure you are using why not rig it like summer set up? Only way to stop tangles if the lure has a leader would be to use really stout line from a swivel to the sinker and the lure if lite enough would kind of stand out. One of these days Ill try a 2nd bibbit on a drop shotting rig with the first bibbit on the bottom as a weight. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Heavy bibbit/pimple/spoon or haji with a fly/streamer tied direct to the mainline about a foot above works wonders, albeit the fly sometimes gets caught on the edge of the hole.
Catch doubles a lot this way...works for perch and smelt.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Yeah several years ago I used to rig a purist on a leader above my main jig on my flat fishing rigs. Hanging up on the hole made the double catch something that wasn't worth it at least to me. The first time i lost a crappie on the bottom when the purist hung up ended that. LOL

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:14 PM »
A little upper bibbit action will be in my near future then! thanks. Islander- I will let you know as soon as I lose a trophy because you are right, it will inevitably get hung up. 
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:51 PM »
LOL...cut a bigger hole ;D

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:59 PM »
bell sinker on the bottom 2 flys above it. is the ny way.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:44 AM »
bell sinker on the bottom 2 flys above it. is the ny way.
What type of flies to you like best? That is an item I am lacking in my tackle box.
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:04 AM »
i dont use them much anymore. most tackle shops carry them. like he said the upper one will get hung up getting thru the hole and snap the line off, then loosing an expensive spoon on the bottom was how i was fishing them.  if you just ran 2 flys and a sinker wouldnt be so bad. always sucks tying on the ice. also making loop knots in the line weakens it. i am sure there is a better way of doing it. if i want to get down fast and deep i just use hand lines.

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Hand lines are the best for that...
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Be happy, you gotta auger and a foot of ice, not a chisel and 3 ft! You don't "need" electronics, count your ranks to bottom. After a few holes in an area you'll have a mental image of topogaphy. You're fishing tabors, good choice. Go a couple hundred yds off the point, look back, it continues underwater near the same, but it do'es split. You can see a nav map on the net. Start on top of the rocky point 8ish fow. Small or no fish after 20 / 30 mins move east or west "over the side" or farther out for a few feet deeper. Keep working the area 'till you find what you want. There is an advantage to this for someone presistant and savvy enough. Even the top dollar maps do not show some of the BEST topo on tabors. Small pot holes and depressions, and most importantly small draws and gullies that go from deep water to the feeding shallows, fish highways. Only way your gonna find them is look for them! Bore, test fish, move, repeat, keep track. Over time you'll know where / when to go. 90 % of the fish are in 10 % of the water & you can't catch fish where they ain't!!!!!!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Thats a good area. Theres big boulders on the point good place to start.
Fished theyre this last week, did well in a few hours.
2pm till dark.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.