The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice for the Upcoming Weekend  (Read 2249 times)

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice for the Upcoming Weekend
« on: Jan 24, 2017, 12:43 PM »
So, the weather today isn't so hot for the ice and the temps over the next couple of days are less than stellar for making ice. I am hoping that we at least maintain what we have and don't lose much. With that in mind, what do you guys think about the ice forecast for hitting the hard water this weekend? I suspect that inland waters will be doing alright, but how about ice in the Champlain Valley? Do you think it will be safe?

The good news is that the weather looks a lot better for the week ahead! Hopefully we can make up some ground! I'm still praying for a 3-5 day polar vortex...
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline clocarno

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice for the Upcoming Weekend
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:02 PM »
I'll tell you what I saw - please note I am an ice fishing beginner so take what I say with a  grain of salt, plus I have a 10 year old with me so I absoluelty take no risk.

I drove up to the islands from Barre on Sunday. Carry Bay was loaded with people. Camp Abenaki had 5-6 guys. Ice looked sketchy everywhere else I went - The Gut, Kings Bay, Allen Bay, Alburg. I Ended up circling back to Keeler Bay. Keeler had maybe 10 of us fishing.

I went out 200 yards or so from the beach and there was maybe 8 inches of ice. The ice seemed okay, but the bottom of the holes looked to be not solid.  A few people were out another 200-300 yards from us towards the island; one guy I talked coming off the ice said there was 4-5 inches out that far.

Fishing was slow for my son and I. I caught one pike (3lbs ish) and couple small perch. Had couple other flags but nothing. The guy I spoke to when I was coming off and he was leaving around 9:30 said he caught 100 perch/panfish. Couple guys out in front of me caught maybe 4-5 pike - they were targeting them. I think I left around 3:30 - 4

Chris

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:12 PM »
One of the regular perch guys fell in today at Mudd point off the west shore of Alburgh. Decent ice depth but it is getting weak from below and there are some bubblers developing which don't show until they are open water. People are still out there with wheelers but are really risking themselves at this point. The white spots which had less ice to begin with are melted off from the top and the ice there can be bad without looking any different. Please use caution and if you don't have a flotation suit it might be a good time to consider getting one. Just heard someone dropped a wheeler through at the south end of the gut yesterday into 4'. 
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2017, 01:23 PM »
I think I will stay home and watch hockey.

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:49 PM »
My annual trip to Holiday Harbors is a month away. Hope that cold comes soon and stays.
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I looked at Shelburne and Monkton ponds Saturday and decided to fish in the boat on Champlain Sunday and Monday. The ice looked like nothing I wanted to mess with and it'll take more than a couple of just-barely freezing nights to make a lot of improvement in that.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:58 PM »
Hey Drew..I'll know more tomorrow. Up north we have more ice than most areas on Champlain in the sheltered bays. Closer to the main lake there was less ice..around 6in. The cracks really opened up and would not chance jumping them because they have eroded underneath. I'm curious the damage the storm did..
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:26 AM »
I looked at Shelburne and Monkton ponds Saturday and decided to fish in the boat on Champlain Sunday and Monday. The ice looked like nothing I wanted to mess with and it'll take more than a couple of just-barely freezing nights to make a lot of improvement in that.
Totally agree. I fished monkton Sunday and the ice is getting really funky. Def lost about 2" out there and the bottom of the ice was really soft. Constantly getting my Hali or my line stuck in it. Be careful out there. So some guys was gutting holes with a chainsaw all over the place. Pretty stupid if you ask me but some o them dogs / small children could fit in so be careful going on and off in the dark

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Totally agree. I fished monkton Sunday and the ice is getting really funky. Def lost about 2" out there and the bottom of the ice was really soft. Constantly getting my Hali or my line stuck in it. Be careful out there. So some guys was gutting holes with a chainsaw all over the place. Pretty stupid if you ask me but some o them dogs / small children could fit in so be careful going on and off in the dark

Is this you Paul?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Just got off the ice in west swanton. Over 10in and solid surprisingly. A little crunchy on top though. There were a few wheelers out which I still wouldnt do. Saw a few soft spots in the shallows but thats it. The river mouths are opened up so I would stay away from them.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2017, 02:58 PM »
15 day forecast shows colder weather after Saturday with everything below freezing, so maybe there's hope. I'll probably not be able to get out anywhere in the next week as it is.

Be safe out there.

Randy

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Thank you for the replies guys! I'm going to hit it this weekend! Fingers crossed for that 30" hybrid!
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I will be staying home this weekend, and hit it Friday and Saturday next week.

Offline Bassmickster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:00 PM »
I walked out on south side of sand bar causeway today at 4pm. Carried an ice spud and poked ahead of me until I got out about 50yds. Drilled a hole in 3 fow. There is still 4+ inches of good ice under a squishy white crust of about another inch. You can walk, but no wheelers. Wear your picks and keep the throw bag handy. It's not if, it's when...  Carry a spud to detect thin, weak spots from upwelling currents. Keep a spare set of duds in truck back on shore.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:12 AM »
I walked out on south side of sand bar causeway today at 4pm. Carried an ice spud and poked ahead of me until I got out about 50yds. Drilled a hole in 3 fow. There is still 4+ inches of good ice under a squishy white crust of about another inch. You can walk, but no wheelers. Wear your picks and keep the throw bag handy. It's not if, it's when...  Carry a spud to detect thin, weak spots from upwelling currents. Keep a spare set of duds in truck back on shore.

With all due respect, this is not my idea of a fun day fishing this a day of tempting fate and looking to take polar plunge. I go ice fishing to have fun and pass along the traditions of ice fishing to my kids. Be patient, the cold will bring the ice back just gotta be patient.  :tipup:

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:17 AM »
When ice fishing is sketchy I take the boat. There is no fish worth a swim in winter water.

Randy

Offline macho insecurity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2017, 07:21 PM »
15 day forecast shows colder weather after Saturday with everything below freezing, so maybe there's hope. I'll probably not be able to get out anywhere in the next week as it is.

Be safe out there.
i'm highly considering just waiting it out this weekend and shooting for the second week of Feb after I get back from California. i really wanted to take my friend out this weekend, but i'm very skeptical with how warm it's been. i'm thinking of checking out Monkton tomorrow morning and getting a read based on how many are out on the ice, but it's not worth potentially dying over.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2017, 08:25 PM »
I found 9" to 10" on a small pond in Pittsford. I'm going to fish it on Sunday, but with a buddy.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2017, 08:21 PM »
we fished today.....from shore

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2017, 02:33 PM »
we fished today.....from shore

Any luck from shore??  I'm in Ferrisburgh too and this time of year I can't get anything to bite fishing from shore..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.