The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: electric fillet knife  (Read 1228 times)

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
electric fillet knife
« on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:53 PM »
 Was thinking how much easier an electric fillet knife would be. Looked on amazon & there are quite a few choices &was looking for any suggestions. I found 1 that looked ok, & read some of the customer reviews & as expected some like it & some don't. Thanks ahead for any help you guys can give me.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: electric fillet knife
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2014, 03:59 PM »
I've used a Mister Twister for over a decade ,only needed new blades.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:29 PM »
I bought the Rapala Electric Filet Knife kit 2 years ago and it's one of the best purchases I've made for fishing. It's a pain at first and you mess up a bit but once you get the hang of it you'll never go back.

Offline BinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Got both the Mister Twister and Rapala. Hands down the Mr Twister is the more powerful knife. If perch and pan fish are all your gonna clean,the Rapala has plenty of power. It is actually the more comfortable knife to use. It's just that I do mostly northerns and like the extra power of the Mr Twister.

Offline RipSomeLips22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Mr. twister is what I use

Offline Crow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Black and Decker from Walmart for $9.99. Works like a charm. Only had it for 1 year so can't speak to durability but for $9.99 you can't go wrong.

Offline Troutmagnet

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:10 PM »
I have the Rapala Kit. Came with 2 sets of blades (short and long), runs off house current, off cigarette lighter and has small alligator clips so you can use it on the go. Love it! Could maybe have a little more power but have cleaned 200 perch at a time and still keeps ticking. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Best of both worlds.....  Mr. Twister with Rapala blades.  Works great.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2014, 06:23 PM »
If I was going to buy a new one I would look into the cordless lithium battery ones,  the plug em inner I got now works fine

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Well I just got one a few weeks ago and LOVE IT! I would never go back... I can clean a 11-14" perch in 35-40 seconds ( FILLETED - I timed myself... That's the first 10-15 not the last 2 fish haha) but its about 3 perch with a electric knife compared to 1 with a regular fillet... I don't keep anything less then usually 10" for perch so couldn't really tell u how great they work on a 7-8" dink perch
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I have a Rapala kit and it's great for cleaning fish on the ice.  I can plug it into a cigarette lighter or hitch it to a battery.  My wife prefers that because she doesn't care much for that pike smell in he house.  When at home though I still use an old Proctor-Silex kitchen knife that is almost as old  as I am.  I have filleted hundreds upon hundreds of fish with that old knife. 

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I have a Rapala plug in knife (not the cord/cordless kit) that has worked great for probably 7 or 8yrs (can't remember exactly when I got it).  Unfortunately I busted it a couple of weeks ago cleaning northerns, but I was horsing it quite a bit through the ribs.  A little plastic gear inside stripped out and there are no replacements available.  I really like the sound of the Rapala kit, but I think I'm going to give a Mister Twister a try for my next knife.  I can't imagine being without one now that I've used one for so long!

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2014, 07:51 AM »
I have a Rapala 12/120V and found it lacking power and speed. Handle would get so warm, I would need to take a break. I got a Mister Twister this past spring and love it. It's very powerful and fast. Only negative is that the blades are square at the tip.
I am going to try putting the Rapala blades in as VtGooseMan suggested.

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Got my Rapala plug in 10 yr's ago it's been well abused from salt water to fresh water fish.And it still goes threw them Bomo Iron belly's like butter .  lol  You cant go wrong with a Mister Twister either. :icefish:   

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Could someone tell me where I could get enough fish to fillet? Flags aren't working too much this year yet!

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2014, 02:28 PM »
Mr. Twister

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.