The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Memphremagog  (Read 1571 times)

Offline troutterminator

• IceShanty Rookie
Memphremagog
« on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:30 AM »
A bunch of us are headed up there for the derby.  We don't care what we catch as long as we are catching something :tipup:  Where are the good spots?  Also any recommendations on the hotels in the area.  Any good bars in town?  Seeing's how we are leaving the wives at home ;)

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Memphremagog
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Lots of hotels around. Most stay at the Newport Inn. There is also a Motel 6 right on the exit off of 91 for rt5. I usually stay at the Border Motel in Derby. It has a bar right next to it and the Cow Palace restaurant/bar across the street. Nice for those who want to drink and not having to worry about driving.

There is also a few bars right on the strip in downtown Newport.

good luck.

As for Magog...the South Bay has pike now and biologists want them out. (Illegal intro). It also has lm bass, pickeral and yellow perch.

Main lake can give up anything. Smallies, lakers, steelhead (bows), salmon, perch, and even a very occasional large walleye.

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:34 PM »
Lots of hotels around. Most stay at the Newport Inn. There is also a Motel 6 right on the exit off of 91 for rt5. I usually stay at the Border Motel in Derby. It has a bar right next to it and the Cow Palace restaurant/bar across the street. Nice for those who want to drink and not having to worry about driving.

There is also a few bars right on the strip in downtown Newport.

good luck.

As for Magog...the South Bay has pike now and biologists want them out. (Illegal intro). It also has lm bass, pickeral and yellow perch.

Main lake can give up anything. Smallies, lakers, steelhead (bows), salmon, perch, and even a very occasional large walleye.
First:not newport inn its the newport city hotel. Second: The motel 6 is actually the super eight. [just correction] ;)  The derby is also open to many other area lakes that may get your interest. If targeting a certain species there is probably a better lake or pond for you than magog. Good luck to all.

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:57 PM »
First:not newport inn its the newport city hotel. Second: The motel 6 is actually the super eight. [just correction] ;)  The derby is also open to many other area lakes that may get your interest. If targeting a certain species there is probably a better lake or pond for you than magog. Good luck to all.

Thanks for the corrections. I thought it might be a super 8..getting my numbers mixed up!  ;D  I stay at the Border Motel anyway. But you would figure after 9 years of fishing up there...  ::)

Notice I got the bar locations correct though  ;)

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Thanks for the corrections. I thought it might be a super 8..getting my numbers mixed up!  ;D  I stay at the Border Motel anyway. But you would figure after 9 years of fishing up there...  ::)

Notice I got the bar locations correct though  ;)
Quite a few good bars close by. ;D 

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:42 AM »
I hear Carmi is in the derby this year too.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:37 AM »
I hear Carmi is in the derby this year too.
has been the last 3-4 years

Offline mempfree

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:53 AM »
Hopefully Wrights, go by there Regulations this year.  Last year I weighed in a Pike, during the tournament hours, and then found out, that they let a Pike be weighed in after the tournament hours, and this kid ended up winning big money, with his fish, that was just about the same size and weight as mine.  I told Ron Wright that this was wrong.  I won some money, but not like I should of. >:(  There is the Eastside Restaurant, which has great food, and drink.  Also, Brewski's Bar and Dance Hall, located just outside of Coventry, on the way to Orleans, Vt.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:36 AM »
I had no idea carmi had been in the tourney for a few years already. Great job with my observation again...  ::)
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I had no idea carmi had been in the tourney for a few years already. Great job with my observation again...  ::)

I think they must have added Carmi due to the fact that many years the walleye catagory wasn't filled with allot of competition. LOL  At least it wasn't a few years back.

What prevents a guy from entering a champ walleye as a carmi fish??

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Hopefully Wrights, go by there Regulations this year.  Last year I weighed in a Pike, during the tournament hours, and then found out, that they let a Pike be weighed in after the tournament hours, and this kid ended up winning big money, with his fish, that was just about the same size and weight as mine.  I told Ron Wright that this was wrong.  I won some money, but not like I should of. >:(  There is the Eastside Restaurant, which has great food, and drink.  Also, Brewski's Bar and Dance Hall, located just outside of Coventry, on the way to Orleans, Vt.
I hear ya mempfree! After all the saying goes "let Ron Wright screw ya the wright way."  Some truth behind it. Ron Wright aint doing anything that doesn't have money in it for himself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.