Author Topic: Line...Weight?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Wyo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
Line...Weight?
« on: Oct 27, 2002, 08:26 AM »
???  ...Relative newby; couple of seasons under my belt.  I've been fishing the "prairie lakes" around Laramie, Wyoming.  They tend to be shallow enough to allow you to see the bottom (typically 10-15') and have rainbows in the 16 to 20 inch range.  Question...what weight line would seem right to you folks with more experience.  I've been running one rod with 6-pound and one with 8-pound.  Frankly, the 8-pound has lost me fewer fish...is there any downside to using 8 or 10 pound line in these circumstances?
ICE IS NICE...

TWM

Re: Line...Weight?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2002, 09:27 AM »
I use line 10-12 lb range for similar depths for walleyes, perch, and jacks. I Use cold temp spider  line, its a little more exspense but has low memory and a smaller diameter. You can use a lighter/smaller  jig depending what your fishing for and the line will stay tight so you can feel any strikes.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2002, 12:49 PM »
IF you are fishing for the rainbows i would use 6 lb. test or perhaps drop to 4 lb. test.You will get bit more with 4 lb. but you will have more breakoffs.Invest in a good rod and reel.Try tip-ups with powerbait over a shallow sand flat(2-3 FT.)

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2002, 03:49 PM »
I believe in using the smallest diameter line I can get away with. I would rather get bit and broke off than have a fish spook from the leader. A little experience and like salmotrutta said a good rod and reel with the drag set right you can land those bows on 2lb. test. I also like the high test braided lines with a small diameter or for gin clear water, berkley vanish works very well. You really have to watch line nicks and respool every 60 days.

Big_Walt

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2002, 05:21 AM »
What type of line would be suggested for tip-ups while fishing for Pike? Line and test strength...
Also where can one get ahold of extra large replacement flags and extendable poles for tip-ups?
 Thanks
Big Walt

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2002, 11:06 AM »
Big Walt,
I run both #36 and #45 dacron on my tip-ups with #50 florocarbon leaders(3-4' ).  I use a barrel swivel to connect the two. Heavy floro is much better then steel. Play the fish to the hole and don't force...you should be golden.

What typ of tip-up?

Esox

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2002, 06:51 AM »
Thoughts on Wyoming Rainbow(s)...
I agree with an earlier poster regarding the lightest line possible.  Fishing in PA impounds I often use 2lb mono on noodle rods for rainbows/browns through the ice.  Yes, you will break more fish off, but the increased number of strikes will more than make up for it...and as you become more adept at 'fighting' fish with the light line you will eventually put more trout on the ice (as opposed to under the ice - smile)

Thoughts on Pike...
I use 25# Dacron on all my tip-ups.  As for leader type and length, I suppose that depends on the weight class of the fish in the lake(s).  Being that the majority of the pike in PA lakes don't exceed 10# I use 6lb spidermono leaders when targeting Pike.  Very rarely do you lose the fish, unless it is a trophy class fish, and you reduce the visible marker attached to the bait.  You can always switch to steel leaders if you lose too many fish, or try heavier mono leaders.  

Do these leaders come pre-tied?  I don't know about you guys, but I think it is rather difficult to attach treble hooks to line with diameter greater than 20# test.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2002, 12:27 PM »
Simon, I tie my own leaders (50# Florocarbon) and I use trebles. I use a simple snell and it works fine for me.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2002, 10:39 AM »
Wyo you might want to consider Berkley Fireline Micro Ice.The 8# line is supposed to be the diameter of 3#.Also there is supposed to be very little stretch and memory.I'm spooling up with the 8# on my reel this season.I will be using this for lakers.The low stretch should help with deep water hook setting. Good luck! LoneWolf
Those who are brave are free ..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.