Author Topic: spring bobbers  (Read 35870 times)

Offline wormman_84725

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: spring bobbers
« Reply #60 on: Dec 16, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I hat spring bobber but I loved that rod that had that spring bobber built right into it.  I'm going to get me a couple of those rods for sure.
What kind of rod is it you're talking about?

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:52 AM »
Does anyone know where to get a springbobber like the one on the jason mitchell rod, only the springbobber though?
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Dec 18, 2009, 07:58 AM »
Does anyone know where to get a springbobber like the one on the jason mitchell rod, only the springbobber though?

Here ya ou go. ;)

http://www.actiontackleproducts.com/abi.html

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Oct 06, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I realize this topic is old, but I just read through the post and it seems like people are using these quite successfully....maybe I'm thick, but I don't understand what the spring is for?  I understand that a light "wire" like extension on the end of a rod with an eyelet and your line through it might help detect subtle bites...but what do you do with a spring?
Is it really any better than watching your line, or holding it in your finger?  I've never really had a problem with detecting lite bites....as far as I know, but maybe I'm missing lots of subtle hits?
How is this any better than a sensitive rod and a finger on the line?
Doesn't it DRASTICALLY reduce your hook setting power?
Tight lines

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #65 on: Oct 06, 2011, 05:10 PM »
I just ordered a 4 pack of them from Sportsmans guide $4.47 club price..if they are the ones you are talking about that can fit different sized tips!

Offline jrtbaits

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • wishin' i was fishin'
« Reply #66 on: Oct 06, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I never saw the use in them either until this past season when I started to fish with my st. croix legend with the ultra light spring bobber on it I absolutely love it now the rod has great backbone I've landed fish up to 4lbs on it but I can still see the light bites from weary crappies and light biting perch even in 40fow. It is my number one go to rod now.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #67 on: Oct 06, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I realize this topic is old, but I just read through the post and it seems like people are using these quite successfully....maybe I'm thick, but I don't understand what the spring is for?  I understand that a light "wire" like extension on the end of a rod with an eyelet and your line through it might help detect subtle bites...but what do you do with a spring?
Is it really any better than watching your line, or holding it in your finger?  I've never really had a problem with detecting lite bites....as far as I know, but maybe I'm missing lots of subtle hits?
How is this any better than a sensitive rod and a finger on the line?
Doesn't it DRASTICALLY reduce your hook setting power?

well the light wire is what we call the spring,even if its wire and not a real spring.. and there are spring bobbers that are actually springs,like you would find in a pen,they are just longer and stretched out to make them more sensitive.. and no,they dont impact your hook setting at all,thats unless you only set the hook two inches.. just set the hook like normal and you will still have a good hook up percentage.. i can get the kind i like from fleet farm for 2 bucks for a two pack..at that price its worth a try,and now i have one on ever jigging rod i own.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Oct 07, 2011, 08:57 AM »
thanks for the input guys....might have to give 'em a try.  do most spring bobbers come with a means to attach to a rod?  I read on here a method involving a gromet, but I'm a little unsure how to best attach it to my jigging pole.
Tight lines

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Oct 07, 2011, 02:41 PM »
each attach somewhat different... some have clips,some have shrink tubes,some you stuff into the eye of your tip top.. it will come with whatever means that company uses to attach with

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #70 on: Oct 07, 2011, 02:57 PM »
I have never used Spring Bobbers but bought 2 last year for the wife. After reading all the post about them here I am going to start using them for myself. I agree the lite bite is hard to detect and think they will help me land more fish.

Fish on!
<===Lefty===

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Oct 10, 2011, 01:28 PM »
is it just me or when using the actual spring bobber, not the wire, do you sometimes get your line caught in the spring if you get to much slack or coil?

thats why i usually go witht he wire spring bobber....

what a mess to get your line untangled from the spring !!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #72 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:10 PM »
  I use St. Croix springs (the light one) and crappies always suck the bait in and will spit it out before you can set the hook.  Whtched they thru a shanty and they are fast, when your spring lifts up they have sucked it in and set the hook.

surflizard

« Reply #73 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I saw the spring bobber Light 2 weeks ago, First time out with it and with over 50 gills and perch and crappies caught and released [ no size to em ] I am a Believer, the hook ups are so much faster, it is scary !!

Offline Fish2Win

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Check out the sneaky bobber by Art Dey. I bought 2 at Knutsons bait in Brooklyn Mi. last year and put my St. croix's away for good.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Oct 24, 2011, 08:20 PM »
I saw the spring bobber Light 2 weeks ago, First time out with it and with over 50 gills and perch and crappies caught and released [ no size to em ] I am a Believer, the hook ups are so much faster, it is scary !!

thats what happened with my buddy (mnrebel69) we were fishing right next to each other and i was getting a few more hits,or rather seeing all the hits i was getting,, i let him use one of my poles with the spring bobber on it,and me and him were the only guys catching around us because they were biting so light and up taking the baits.... he now has his gill and crappie pole with one all the time..

and plus ALL the pros use them,thats gotta say something about their effectiveness and its nice to have the same equipment the pros use,and for a buck each,thats something i can actually sneak by the GF lol

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Oct 31, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Make your own with piano wire and glow in the dark bead tie it on with fly tying thread and head cement best spring bobber ever and satisfaction of doing it yourself ;D ;)
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #77 on: Nov 18, 2011, 05:44 PM »
For the St. Croix springs, which would you guys recommend for fishing with a swedish pimple and ratso typed jigs underneath?  I am set on getting a Medium spring for just jigs, but not sure if my pimple/ratso rig would need a Medium Heavy spring or be okay with just the Medium.
  BE THERE!

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Nov 19, 2011, 06:47 PM »
Spring bobbers have their place; but they do mush up jigging action on a fast action rod like a TB Sweetheart
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline MI-Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Nov 19, 2011, 07:05 PM »
First rod i ever ice fished with was one i made myself out of a broken rod. Super Duper stiff compared to your normal rod for iceing panfish, then i pulled a spring out of a dead pen and stretched it out to make my own spring bobber. that rod was still probably one of the most effective panfish rods ive ever used. The homemade spring bobber showed me subtle bites and the stiff rod meant a quick flick of the wrist to put a good hook set in them. just my two cents.
FISH ON!!!!!!!!!

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Spring bobbers have their place; but they do mush up jigging action on a fast action rod like a TB Sweetheart

when using grubs and ice flies.. or any jig really, i think they help the action.,.. the smoother jigging motion added by the spring bobber makes the bait look more natural, like its fluttering "soft" and i like that when finessing lures.. i like the HT brand spring bobbers because you can push the spring in and pull it out to accommodate heavier or lighter jigs, when i was the lure to jerk and spasm quickly, i will push it all the way in to the tip top and you'd never know it was there,and when the bite lightens up, pull that sucker back out again!!!!!! i love the things, but i dont use them on my super fast action rods,if my rod is sensitive there is no real point for the springs.

Offline slamminsam

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Nov 21, 2011, 12:42 PM »
As far as attatching the "spring bobber" or flat metal...they do come with the tubing, but it never fits around the first eyelet.  So I have use electrical tape.  It works really well for me.  But the key to its success is to put vaseline on the metal or spring before wrapping it so it can be extended and retracted easilly for different weighted jigs.  These "springs"or what I call strike indicators are awesome IMO for crappie, perch and pan fish.  Won't go without one on any of my poles for them. 
Take the pledge, be safe, enjoy every second of life and lets go JETS!

Offline ddl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Nov 23, 2011, 11:44 PM »
Make your own with piano wire and glow in the dark bead tie it on with fly tying thread and head cement best spring bobber ever and satisfaction of doing it yourself ;D ;)
do you use size .016 ?
i would like something good for lil teardrop size 6

tks

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2011, 02:33 PM »
so I finally picked some "flat wire" style spring bobbers...they look very sensitive.  They came with heat shrink to attach, but as others have noted it didn't fit over the top eyelet on the rod.  So, I sliced it, slipped it on and it shrank down a bit with boiling water/lighter...but not really tight enough to hold it on properly.

Has anyone got a better solution? I don't want to put tape on the rod, but that's all I'm coming up with.  ???
Tight lines

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2011, 05:22 PM »
so I finally picked some "flat wire" style spring bobbers...they look very sensitive.  They came with heat shrink to attach, but as others have noted it didn't fit over the top eyelet on the rod.  So, I sliced it, slipped it on and it shrank down a bit with boiling water/lighter...but not really tight enough to hold it on properly.

Has anyone got a better solution? I don't want to put tape on the rod, but that's all I'm coming up with.  ???

Try hot glue.

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Dec 12, 2011, 07:58 PM »
If you tie flies you can wrap it with thread and coat it with head cement.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:48 AM »
huh, I think both those would work better than the crappy heat shrink I have.  I like the idea of using thread and head cement...but I'm not fly tier.  Is it just normal thread?  What's "head cement" some kind of epoxy?
Tight lines

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Bic lighters have a spring inside them.Stretch one end a little and tie on your rod with thread you tie guides on. One of the best springs I've ever used.

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #88 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:02 AM »
I've used spring bobbers in the past and don't anymore.  I feel with the new jigging poles out (my favorite is the HT iceblue 18) you don't need any type of bobber.  They are so sensitive you can see the rod tip move up on a lift hit.  Also, spring bobbers tend to freeze up and I think take away from hooksetting quickness/power.

2X I hate them if or when you get line twist it wraps around it.
I have iceblue 24 and just got a meat stick they both bend under the wait of the smallest jigs I have.
Add the sufix ice magic hivis line and you will see a lift every time.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #89 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:27 AM »
i held one of thoes ice blues in my hand at wallmart and i believe that .it had the most sensitive tip of any pole i have ever seen.but no ajustment.how about more sensativity or alot stiffer in one pole.i think that is really where the st. croix shines.this was a pretty nifty invention.im surprized it didnt happen on iceshanty ;D ;Di will try to figure out how to post picture of jig hanging from different st. croix springs ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.