Author Topic: Anyone jigging white perch?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
Anyone jigging white perch?
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:42 PM »
Just woundering whats some good jigs and or bait for a jig pole? We get them off and on with tip-ups but I understand some do very well jigging.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone jigging white perch?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:18 PM »
White perch can be found in 35'-50 ' of water in the day they move into shoals or shallows in eary morn or evening hours .I have been fishing white perch for 50 yrs, the lakes i fished as a teenager they have the same pattern today . They can be found on bottom most of the time but there are days when they are in the thermocline or close to the ice. Buy a couple of good jig poles or make them. Wooden cross sticks on discarded alumin arrow  cut to a comfortable length Wrap the handle end with electrical tape. use elec tape to keep cross sticks in proper place , the middle cross stick    curve to help keep tip off ice the rear one can be shorter , also make middle cross stick longer than the width of your hole . when placing the jig down if you get a hit it will tip up and hook your fish  on the tip leave the arrow noc. Place the cross sticks 12" apart so when you wind your line you know exactly how deep your jig is. Jig heads with a small piece of cut bait .Start out with a piece of nightcrawler. after your first fish scale a side and cut narrow strips a half inch long , cut bait will catch larger fish than worms or crawlers. A fishfinder will help show there depth quick. Go get em.

Offline lewk24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:22 PM »
great explanation woodchip...thats how I do it, except for the cut bait though. I will try that next time.

Luke

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 02:56 PM »
White perch can be found in 35'-50 ' of water in the day they move into shoals or shallows in eary morn or evening hours .I have been fishing white perch for 50 yrs, the lakes i fished as a teenager they have the same pattern today . They can be found on bottom most of the time but there are days when they are in the thermocline or close to the ice. Buy a couple of good jig poles or make them. Wooden cross sticks on discarded alumin arrow  cut to a comfortable length Wrap the handle end with electrical tape. use elec tape to keep cross sticks in proper place , the middle cross stick    curve to help keep tip off ice the rear one can be shorter , also make middle cross stick longer than the width of your hole . when placing the jig down if you get a hit it will tip up and hook your fish  on the tip leave the arrow noc. Place the cross sticks 12" apart so when you wind your line you know exactly how deep your jig is. Jig heads with a small piece of cut bait .Start out with a piece of nightcrawler. after your first fish scale a side and cut narrow strips a half inch long , cut bait will catch larger fish than worms or crawlers. A fishfinder will help show there depth quick. Go get em.

:clap: Wicked Good Post

Offline livtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Great post Woodchip.  If you are ever in the Oxford Hills area, please PM me.  I would like to take you to a couple of personal Perch holes.Thanks again.
Norm
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Offline SparkyT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Thanks for the tips woodchip!

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Thanks Woodchip thats what I wanted to know.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Ya great post Woodchip I need to see you in action this year .   Have you got that perch pudding ready yet ?

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:34 PM »
Caught several today!  Small jigs, similar to what you would use for crappie work fine.  Smallest Swedish Pimple with a waxie (maggot) or piece of worm works well.  Like Woodchip said, usually on bottom.  A fish finder will help you to locate schools or become more effective in your presentation.  The pond we fished today has an average depth of less than 20' so finding water 35 - 50' would be extremely difficult   ;D  Perch are easy to catch and excellent eating, both yellow tigers and white perch.  Good luck
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline lobsterman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • quit crying and start fishing.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:41 PM »
what are these cross sticks you refer to??

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Cross sticks---- Take an old Alummin arrow use the noc for your rod tip. take two pieces of wood cut it on a band saw or find a 1"  branch  a foot long with a 3" radius or more.Drill a tight hole for your arrow shaft  so when you slid it tru the tip of your rod will be 4"to5" over your fish hole . the rear cross stick can be 4-6" long. Have these 12" apart now when you wrap your line you can count the depth of your line. Wrap electricans or duck tape on both sides of the cross sticks when you wrap line it wont move them closer together . These long alummin arrows are very sensitive  and you can feel a very light bite and leverage enough to set the hook in a hurry

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Got any pictures so I know a bit better what you're describing? I'm interested...
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:40 PM »
Or you could just go buy a real rod. They have some nice ones at Mardens right now 4.99.

Offline brookmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:10 AM »
Caught over 2 dozen today on sabattus, using a swedish pimple in 10 ft of water out of 1 hole.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:08 AM »
So does jigging work better then tip-ups and live bait fished at the same depth?

Offline brookmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:48 AM »
I think it does, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper ;D  and more fun

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:19 AM »
The ones i've seen that came out of Sabattus run big. The only problem is that out of Sabattus  the polutions, Mercury etc. I think the smaller one have less chemicals in them. When i do get bigger one i take out the  dark ventral vane which is where the fatty tissue lies which holds the unwanted mercury.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:36 AM »
         Big savings  -----------------------------------                         $4.99  I can buy enough Nightcrawlers to last all winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.