The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Favorite way to cook perch and/or trout  (Read 1582 times)

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite way to cook perch and/or trout
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 09:41 PM »
Hey everyone! i am originally from north dakota, and spent all my life catching and eating walleye and perch, so i think i have that down (although new recipies are great!) but as for trout, well i am sort of new. For any perch/walleye, i like to make a beer-batter panko breading, and pan fry. Then when the fish is almost done, i brush on some honey and flip and brush the other side. the honey makes all the difference, everyone should try it sometime. as for trout, i pretty much just like to gut them, cut the heads off, and put lemon slices, bay leaves, and lemon pepper seasoning salt on the inside and bar-b-que them. Seems like i like them more done, really dry, then underdone. Anyone else have any great ideas?

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Favorite way to cook perch and/or trout
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 02:37 AM »
I really like grilling trout on cedar planks.  A lot of the time if I'm backpacking up into alpine lakes where I know I'll be catching trout in the summer, I'll haul a plank up with me.  Just soak the plank in water ahead of time and grill the trout right on top with seasoning, lemons and onion. 

Offline jimmerjammer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:12 AM »
does the plank really make that much of a differance? sorry not to be ignorant or an idiot, just curious!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I really like grilling trout on cedar planks.  A lot of the time if I'm backpacking up into alpine lakes where I know I'll be catching trout in the summer, I'll haul a plank up with me.  Just soak the plank in water ahead of time and grill the trout right on top with seasoning, lemons and onion. 
Lamnidae,  For your Health, Please don't use Cedar Planks for cooking!!!  The pitch(sap) in Cedar is Highly carcinogenic!!!  Use fruit, or hard wood planks that you would smoke fish with like Alder, Cherry or Apple wood, they aren't carcinogenic and they will actually enhance the flavor...

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:34 AM »
What I like to do for trout that is quick is fillet them put them on tin foil put a little lemon pepper on cook on the BBQ. After the fish is warm sprinkle brown sugar on it. That's my favorite way of cooking them.

Offline Lamnidae

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Lamnidae,  For your Health, Please don't use Cedar Planks for cooking!!!  The pitch(sap) in Cedar is Highly carcinogenic!!!  Use fruit, or hard wood planks that you would smoke fish with like Alder, Cherry or Apple wood, they aren't carcinogenic and they will actually enhance the flavor...

Thanks for the tip Neptune--had no idea!  And Jimmerjammer: the plank does make a good difference (particularly on the bbq), because the ends burn and very lightly smoke the meat.  Also, the wood between the heat source and fish allows you to cook it a bit more slowly so that you get longer for the flavor to be enhanced during the cooking process. 

Offline ham_viper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:44 PM »
Keep only fish 12" or less, flower, salt and pepper and fry in oil in a cast iron pan. When eye turns white turn. Simple is always best in my book.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:43 PM »
When using Cedar for plank grilling it is safe if you use the western Cedar. It is the eastern cedar that is not safe to use. Here is a link that should help to clear it up.

http://www.firepit-and-grilling-guru.com/cedar-plank-cooking.html

Offline nswiken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:48 AM »
Unless they are brookies, trout taste like mud around here (Havre), even when it's cold water season. 

For perch I whip a cup of buttermilk with 2-3 eggs plus salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Soak a pile of fillets in the mixture.  Crush saltines as fin as possible.  Pull the fillets and roll them in the saltines.  Fry in canola oil.  Yummy.

I have heard that crushed potato chips are good breading, too.  Just back off on your added salt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.