The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flasher in the weeds?  (Read 834 times)

Offline Hardwater fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flasher in the weeds?
« on: Jan 25, 2012, 04:41 AM »
    How do you fish with a flasher when there is alot of weeds? It seems to block alot of my screen and I have a hard time seeing my jig!!! Is there any way to clear that up? It is not so bad in 25fow as it is in 10to 12 fow!

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Flasher in the weeds?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:59 AM »
what unit are you running?  Vexilar's have a low power mode which makes this possible.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Sometimes when the weeds are too thick I have to remember how to fish without one! But like rboot said  use low power if you have it and turn the gain way down. Most of the time I have my gain down anyway because I know how much line I have out so I can concentrate more on movement within the weeds.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline Nthaburgh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2012, 11:52 AM »
Narrowing the cone also helps if you have the ability to do so. Just picked up a tri-beam transducer for my vex and have tried this. Seems to help a little.
"I've come to know the cold...I think of it as home" -G&R

Offline Hardwater fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:22 PM »
 I have a hummingbird ice 35 it has dual beam but not low power guess im SOL! I should have thought of weeds instead of price!!!lol

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:27 PM »
That's what happens when you get into the weed... You forget about things man. But seriously, low power is a life saver!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:30 PM »
i just got the new vexilar double vison this year and the flasher comes with the unit is a fl-20/tri beam iceducer along with camera... so if you are using this unit switch to low power which cuts the power of down to by 50% and you want to turn your gain down as far as it you can stand it but you still want to see that jig in the weeds too. also if you have a tri bean transducer switch it the narrowest cone angle so bascially your only see things right under the transducer probabley like 3 feet radius . This should help you out ...good luck
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.