Author Topic: Stocking  (Read 940 times)

Offline bigkerrdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
Stocking
« on: Jan 24, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Anyone have any knowledge of the expected survival rate of stocked fish, whether it be trout or walleye?  When looking at splake stocking for example, if 100,000 7" splake are stocked in a lake that has pike, walleye, and lakers, how many are estimated to survive to lets say 15"?  The DNR must have some sort of methodology to stock X number of fish X times a year.  It's amazing the quantity of fish stocked in the lakes.  Here's the link to the DNR stocking database http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/.  Just curious to see if anyone has any insight. 

Offline mark_steven

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Stocking
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2011, 11:51 PM »
My guess is less than 10 percent. That's why it is better to let the big ones go, so they can spawn successfully.

Offline Segrat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:16 AM »
Pretty sure it all depends on what size the planters are. Whether they are fry, fingerlings or whatever. Good site you posted. I was amazed at how many coho and salmon are planted downstate compared to around here.

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Walleyes planted as fry 1% make it to fingerling and 1% of them make it legal size

Offline fishfry145

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2011, 10:45 AM »
anybody have data to back up what they are saying?

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2011, 02:52 PM »
I'd keep as many splake as you can - they don't reproduce anyway; are you wondering about Michigamme?  If so I'm guessing the splake only last till the muskie and pike find them there are some monsters there!

Offline bigkerrdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I wasn't talking about any waters in particular.  In fact I've never been on the Michigamme.  I was just curious about the potential number of fish that could reach maturity.  Thanks for the replies.  I sent you a PM icedflies.

Offline DaYoop906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2011, 08:52 PM »
Pretty interesting to see the stocking records. Thanks for sharing the link!

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Figuring out stocking survival rates is extremely difficult and each body of water will have a slightly different model to go by depending on fishing pressure, habitat availability, and forage. I would also agree with icedflies, Splake are a hybrid mix between lake trout and brook trout and do not reproduce. They are stocked solely to be used as a sport fishery.
Also if you were looking for a good lake to target them on, Sporley can produce a lot of fish, especially in the early and late season.
Good Fishin!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.