The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Drragging Your FlipOver  (Read 1967 times)

Offline DoubleJJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Drragging Your FlipOver
« on: Feb 09, 2021, 06:53 AM »
Aside from a Smitty sled, what is everyone's go to product or solution to help with treating your sled bottom to pull easier in this deep snow and slush?  Car wax?  Pan Spray?  I look forward to hear what has worked best for you!
Best Regards,

#GoldenRule
Jamie W. Hanshaw

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Dragging Your FlipOver
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:00 AM »
I made the mistake of taking mine from the heated basement, out the door and dropped it in the snow on Sunday morning. Big mistake. I drug it down the hill to the lake and I had so much snow stuck to the bottom it was like dragging a deer. I flipped it up on its side and rubbed off what I could but it still was tough sledding. I believe the plastic is polyethylene which is the same material ski bottoms are made of. I plan to try some paste ski wax that I have laying around. It's F4 and has PTFE (teflon) in it. My only concern might be having to screw the flip down on a windy day or go flying across the lake at 20 MPH.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Drragging Your FlipOver
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:00 AM »
Good old fashioned Johnson's Paste Wax. Old school, super tough and a little goes a long way. Just wipe it on and let it dry. No need to buff off, the snow will polish it in short order.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:02 AM »
If you don't already have a longer pull rope than what comes standard, I would recommend that. The longer the better (within reason).
Da Pack!

Offline DoubleJJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2021, 07:42 AM »
Longer pull rope is a must and I have them on all three of the sleds that I have.  Good info on the Johnson's so I will try that first.
Best Regards,

#GoldenRule
Jamie W. Hanshaw

Offline Joe in T.C.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2021, 08:09 AM »
Candles, ski wax, car wax, anything you have laying around will help.

Just don't use your wife's favorite candle, she will notice if part of it has been rubbed away  :)

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2021, 09:37 AM »
Maxiglide I use on my X-County skis and a longer rope than the original

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2021, 12:17 PM »
My flip is 146 lbs empty... Not sure theres enough wax on earth to make it easy to drag lol... It has a hyfax on it but one ofbthem are busted up.... Easy on glare ice though lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2021, 03:15 PM »
Just looked at the skis on my old plywood 2x4 framed sled....need sanding and waxing.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2021, 04:14 PM »
Walking in this snow/slush here, even without pulling. My legs are starting to look like a speed ice skater legs ( ones with thoughs huge thighs) lol

Offline jdgambler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2021, 05:25 AM »
use a snowmobile. ;D
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Badder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2021, 06:07 AM »
Theo…..Theo Lady! ;D
SPIN 2 WIN!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:49 AM »
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Shepbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2021, 04:58 PM »
Best advice I can give you is to build a simple sled with a pair of old cross country skis, with two 2x10 uprights on each ski and a simple 2x4 frame.  Then you can put the flip up on top of it and lash it down so it stays in place when you drag it.  This will keep keep it out and above the snow and it will make moving the entire load much easier.   Another option would to make a similar sled out of 1/2 conduit to serve the same purpose.  I have both of these in my garage and use them anytime there is an accumulation of snow and slush  on the ice   

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2021, 07:24 PM »
Make a sled out of plastic electrical conduit. It is light and slides like it is on a waxed surface.1 10 foot piece of pipe and 4 of the 90 degree prebent elbows then make a light frame around the top. Smitty sled is to heavy for a old person to pull with the weight og gear on it

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2021, 04:53 PM »
I advise you to use with caution, but get some of Clark Griswalds super slippery stuff. It looks like if you sit on sled after applying you’ll possibly fly past your fishing’s spots by at least 4 miles. If you don’t know what I’m referring to YouTube Clark griswald on a saucer.
Catching Any?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2021, 05:36 PM »
That is why you carry a very sharp anchor and studs on your heels

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2021, 11:45 AM »
I picked up a harness system that clam had out a few years ago that works really well.  The leads are about 10-12 ft and the harness fits like a safety harness.  Leads hook to D rings at the waist and it spreads the weight across the back and shoulders plus your hands and arms are free swinging and not stretched behind you.  Could probably rig something similar out of a back pack or safety harness but the three shanties I have used it with all have pulled pretty well as long as it isn't knees to waist deep.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:13 PM »
I have had good luck with the spray on wax for atv's.
I used STP stuff but they quit making it.
Ended up with the brand from wally mart but it works.
Plastic sleds seam to last longer also.
I do insides and out and they stay like new.
I have old sleds like everything else I own.
One other trick is I used 3/4 x 3/4 plastic strips to keep it from scuffing on the pavement.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline skibumm100

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Dragging Your FlipOver
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:52 PM »
I made the mistake of taking mine from the heated basement, out the door and dropped it in the snow on Sunday morning. Big mistake. I drug it down the hill to the lake and I had so much snow stuck to the bottom it was like dragging a deer. I flipped it up on its side and rubbed off what I could but it still was tough sledding. I believe the plastic is polyethylene which is the same material ski bottoms are made of. I plan to try some paste ski wax that I have laying around. It's F4 and has PTFE (teflon) in it. My only concern might be having to screw the flip down on a windy day or go flying across the lake at 20 MPH.

Feedback on Swix F4 - It worked OK. The stuff I have is years old so I will probably use a hair dryer to warm it up before applying it next time. I still had some frozen slush stuck to the nose but it pulled OK. Biggest thing is not to set a warm sled on cold snow. Duh!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.