Author Topic: Ice Riggers  (Read 2988 times)

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Riggers
« on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Hi All, picked up some ice riggers at a yard sale, however they did not come with the package, hence no directions. The good part is that they are simple enought to use. I do have one question should the bailed be open or fish a loose drag one these are set up on the ice?

Many thanks - ted

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Riggers
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2011, 03:32 PM »
I think if you check the HT website out, they may have some info their.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:33 PM »
The bail should be left open so the fish won't feel any tension. The trip mechanism will keep line from free spooling and trip the flag when line pays out. If you choose to use a casting reel activate the free spool button and adjust the anti backlash so the line comes off freely. I wouldn't recommend easing up on the drag of the spinning reel due to the fact that  they can be effected by the cold also if you preset the drag for your line test you don't have to mess with it for the hook set or fight.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:43 PM »

Basic Operation

1.  Determine the depth you want to fish

2.  Place rod in rod holder

3.  Open bail on reel

4.  Place line in line clip

5.  Turn line clip toward reel

6.  Place flag wire in notch under flag release
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:02 PM »
Yep bail open. I still have the cardboard piece with the instructions on it from mine and just checked.

Offline LDB_Bass_Hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2011, 10:29 PM »
anybody have a problem with the line not releasing from the clip when a fish hits?
FTAA Member: Fishing Tackle Addictions Anonymous

Offline jmatile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:43 PM »
Just picked up a few riggers to test out this year. Looks like a great tool to add to the to the arsenal!! I plan on running them with spinning rod combos. 38 in. med/hvy rods. I will set the drag to the line weight and leave the bail open when setting... 

surflizard

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2011, 07:55 PM »
anybody have a problem with the line not releasing from the clip when a fish hits?
I had one that the line clip spring was tight for some reason, I spread it open wider with a screw driver and it has released a lot better since !

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:51 PM »
 Are you rigging those with any type of rod or just soft tip type deadstick rods ?

surflizard

« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:11 PM »
I have had good luck with the northland meat stick rods, I guess you could call em a dead stix rod, fairly soft tip !

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I don't always leave the bail open. Depends on the species. It you use a longer soft rod the slight tension will help hook the fish and will do some fighting.

larger species you will want the bail open or your gonna lose your rod

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:18 PM »
I have better hook up ratios with the bail engaged and the drags loosened just a tad also, the reels have rear drag controls so it works good for me !!

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:34 PM »
 I havn't used any Ice riggers yet, but my thought was to drill a hole in them and use ice anchors to secure them in the ice after I find the correct distance from the hole. Just a thought.

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2011, 03:37 PM »
They come with a eyelet in the back, I screw my anchor thru that !

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:59 PM »
They come with a eyelet in the back, I screw my anchor thru that !

Thanks for the info on the eyelet. I've been wanting to try these for a couple of years now, but really haven't looked at them other then on the net. 

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:02 PM »
It is fun to just run up, grab the rod and fight them !

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Are you rigging those with any type of rod or just soft tip type deadstick rods ?

It doesn't matter what rod you use. I was useing my 24" medium action St. Croix Legend. The ice rigger is far less of a PITA to use than the "Slammer" I have.

Mine releases the line well.

The collar that retains the plastic shaft is something that needs upgrading IMO. It can move back and forth a little and the piece of plastic thats supposed to keep it in place doesn't cut the mustard.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:04 AM »
How is the release configured?  I've been trying to build something similar but I can't figure out how to make a release that will hold the line and still release easily.

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2011, 06:12 AM »
HT uses a Alligator clip with 1/4" plastic hose over the clip jaws !

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2011, 12:17 PM »
Just picked up a few riggers to test out this year. Looks like a great tool to add to the to the arsenal!! I plan on running them with spinning rod combos. 38 in. med/hvy rods. I will set the drag to the line weight and leave the bail open when setting...
i just bought 1 of these and am very discouraged stange talked so highly of these in the infisherman ice fishing mag and the line wont release from the clip and thats just the begining the pole holder is so short that my rod wont stay in it >:(it keeps falling out and i noticed that its not centered and points off to the side i realize there only 15 dolars but come on now i believe im going to return it and make my own is it really that hard to make quality stuff these days ??? ???
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:25 PM »
i have the automatic fisherman and i really like them but the ones i got if i remember were a little pricey. they came with everything but the fish. i bought mine on sale at gander two seasons ago and have caught trout in the six to 10 range. i have caught perch and crappie also. i would rate this a good product for those who would be interested.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2011, 01:45 PM »
It doesn't matter what rod you use. I was useing my 24" medium action St. Croix Legend. The ice rigger is far less of a PITA to use than the "Slammer" I have.

Mine releases the line well.

The collar that retains the plastic shaft is something that needs upgrading IMO. It can move back and forth a little and the piece of plastic thats supposed to keep it in place doesn't cut the mustard.
The shaft is supposed to move back and forth. The little piece of plastic is how you set it for how easily the flag is released.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 06, 2011, 10:29 AM »
I just picked one up yesterday.  Looking forward to trying it.  I though this was something new.  I guess its been around for a while.  Idaho is usually the last place to get technology on most things.   But, thats not all bad.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.