Author Topic: ICE FISHING REPORT KEWEENAW BAY (L'anse/Baraga)  (Read 17888 times)

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ICE FISHING REPORT KEWEENAW BAY (L'anse/Baraga)
« Reply #60 on: Feb 23, 2011, 10:48 PM »
Your not the only ones who know what works, Shane.......Seems you are very well known around Baraga and L'Anse.  Nice catches.....
their u seen the pics,  i deleted the one pic , just wanted to show u it.

Offline superzooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 23, 2011, 11:32 PM »
So you don't want anyone to fish your spot, which I understand. So then what is the point of saying what you caught if not to brag?

Offline merwin69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 24, 2011, 04:46 AM »
Here I come!  Lets go Fishin! blue clam yucon father in black carhrts son in brown stop by say hi !

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Feb 24, 2011, 09:46 AM »
Superblooper...no need to worry you have to have one to be insulted about one!   Lmao!     You have absolutely no sense of humor......I must say I love to get guys like you going its just way to easy!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Superblooper...no need to worry you have to have one to be insulted about one!   Lmao!     You have absolutely no sense of humor......I must say I love to get guys like you going its just way to easy!

Dude no worries!!!  I know plenty of fisher"men" without one that beat me at fishing regularly (like my own wife!).  I basically suck!!  LOL

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:33 AM »
LMAO......we all know the feeling only some will admit it!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:41 PM »
So you don't want anyone to fish your spot, which I understand. So then what is the point of saying what you caught if not to brag?
Because im just letting people know the fish are around, u just have to catch them! If i wanted to brag i would post all of my fishing pics on here but i dont, and i dont have a spot, if someone is fishing were i wanted to, thats fine, i just find the depth im looking for elsewhere, its a huge lake, many good reefs, and holes, plus i usually plan to fish 2-3 different locations anyway.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 24, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Your right .....this is a place to post reports and a picture is a report.    Its pretty hard to type sarcasm.........I get bored sometimes and like to give people a hard time.  No punt intended!   Im known to post pictures of fish on another site.......I was calling the kettle black.       I like to post a picture to make a guy go crazy wanting to fish rather then rub it in there face.    Sometimes rubbing it in a little ain't so bad. 

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 24, 2011, 07:44 PM »

So back to the ice conditions, how is the ice now, any updates? did anybody fish today?.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 24, 2011, 08:28 PM »

So back to the ice conditions, how is the ice now, any updates? did anybody fish today?.

Man where have you been?  Lots of people went out, then went home, then came back to their gear being long-gone!  People still goin gout south of Sand Point along the Baraga shore, but anywhere else is risky at best!  Also there is a new hobby starting up along the Point Abbaye area.....shack shrapnel hunting!  Seriously……..people are finding stuff in ice pack along the shores now.  Heck, as of last eve some shacks were way way WAY out in the middle of the Bay, still clinging to float ice!  Your better off fishing Portage!

Offline mark_steven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 24, 2011, 10:21 PM »
I hear you can still fish at Baraga Marina or the willow. Try fishing out by fishslayer and you might get some. Everyone else I talked to haven't been catching, except for smelt at night.

Offline ZeeUP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 26, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Garshouse,
  Luckily I went home that day, but took all my gear and portable shanty with me, I heard the disaster stroke minutes after that, I had a first timer with me who felt cold even with the heater being on all time. I drove by the bay yesterday and it doesnt look good, thin ice with chunks of old ice floating all over. counted total of 12 shanty still floating.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 26, 2011, 06:30 PM »

Todays catch, 1 whitefish, 2 herring and small coho! fished in 70 ft. of water.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Feb 26, 2011, 06:57 PM »
Nice job!   What do u do with your herring? Smoke them? Id love to get into some herring someday and brine my own herring strips for meat rigs

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Slaying baby fish again slayer?  LOL!   When you going after walleye again???

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Dont know, fishing bay till ice is no longer fishable, starting to see more steelhead cruising, love catching them on a little pole, man thats fun.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2011, 01:02 PM »
Nice job!   What do u do with your herring? Smoke them? Id love to get into some herring someday and brine my own herring strips for meat rigs
I fry them, deepfry them, and bake them, the lake herring are a real good eating fish, surprises me more people dont fish for them, and i also smoke them. I also give some of my fish fish to a few elders of the tribe that enjoy eating fish but can no longer fish, try to get a few every week or so for them.

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Mar 02, 2011, 01:50 PM »
hows the ice doing out on the lanse side? looking to go by the falls tomorrow weather and ice permitting.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 02, 2011, 07:29 PM »
My wife went to Marquette yesterday and said she saw shelters out from Assinins. Are people fishing out there again or are they the remaining ones that floated out from further in last week?

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:08 PM »
My wife went to Marquette yesterday and said she saw shelters out from Assinins. Are people fishing out there again or are they the remaining ones that floated out from further in last week?

Stranded shacks.  There are still a few out there in need of rescue.   However people are taking portables out here and thereas well.  BUT you have to be careful, as the ice can be 4 inches in one spot, then suddenyl 1/2" as you get into areas with old and new ice mixed.  It would have been better if all that busted up crap would have just blew out and things would have reset from scratch.

Offline finnspoon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Mar 06, 2011, 11:23 PM »
any updates on the ice? anywhere safe to go out in baraga or lanse?

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:40 PM »
any updates on the ice? anywhere safe to go out in baraga or lanse?

Ice has set up for the most part in the lower bay again.  Even people carefully going on ice near the lighthouse.  BUT BE CAREFUL!!!  Still reports of dangerous ice, especially Sand Point North.  The drop off near shore will easily claim you if you make a foolish move.  Bring a spud and a buddy!

Offline superzooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:19 PM »
So lovesmelt, was that you off Irene's Pizza today? Did you get anything? Fishing was terrible for me the last two days. The fish seemed to have disappeared.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Mar 08, 2011, 08:39 PM »
Yeah it is sort of funny that after the ice broke up and a bunch of people lost stuff, the spots in the lower bay suddenly became popular!  Seems some knew Pizza Flats was a producer all along LOL!

Offline superzooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:09 PM »
I heard the shoreline ice is deteriorating in spots. I fished off the Pumphouse yesterday but had a jump a 3 ft gap. Be careful guys.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Mar 09, 2011, 09:10 PM »
Hey lovesmelt, any luck today?  We saw you out there.....I thought you had to work LOL!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.