Author Topic: ICE FISHING REPORT KEWEENAW BAY (L'anse/Baraga)  (Read 17886 times)

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ICE FISHING REPORT KEWEENAW BAY (L'anse/Baraga)
« Reply #30 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Went to Jentofts today but didn't have the guts to go on the ice there. The ice was creaking, there was water coming up out of cracks near shore as the waves moved in and out. There were a number of people out from there and from Whil-I-Gig as well but it spooked me. A couple of guys from Marquette were coming off the ice as my wife and I were looking at the lake. They said that they only stayed out for about half an hour because the conditions made them nervous. We drove back to the pumphouse and went out .68 mi. to 150 foot of water. No bites at all between my wife and I and 2 other guys who were there.

Offline trailbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 20, 2011, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. Flag UP. Saved me a 100 mile drive today, think I,ll stay home and read a good book!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:12 PM »
slush and float ice is trying to set up again on the outer fringe of the ice that withstood that wind event, but MAN be careful......more winds and waves predicted, plus milder weather creeping in again mid-week (although not nearly as warm as last week)......just do not end up the headline in the local papers!

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Do you think ice break up as far as the light house? Cause I really don't wanna pull my shack yet!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:11 PM »
Do you think ice break up as far as the light house? Cause I really don't wanna pull my shack yet!

Your likely safe.....BUT the current that rips that shoreline can really erode the ice from underneath, and when E/ NE winds, a bit of sun and warmth, and waves start beating on it as well, things can get a bit iffy!  Tread Lightly! 

Offline lovesmelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 20, 2011, 08:43 PM »
WARNING NO ICE PAST WIRLIGIG, STRONG WINDS IN BAY, ICE MOVING INSIDE BAY, WAVES AND ICE DONT MIX

Offline superzooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 20, 2011, 10:57 PM »
It seems only the daredevils were out today. The wind (from north) sure picked up quick.

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:54 AM »
I hear the ice blew out to somewhere by the lighthouse. Hope people got their shacks off in time   ??? ???

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2011, 09:07 AM »
Ice is even gone at the mouth of the falls, shacks that were there, squaw, and light house are either sank or floaters. :'( Hopefully guys can save their shacks if they float into pequaming bay as they are floating that way as we speak.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Chase, are you saying that all the ice in Keweenaw Bay is broken up or gone? Or is it just open for a ways off the mouth of the Falls River? Did you get your shack off the ice in time?

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:35 PM »
open water by the shore line on L'ANSE side from mouth of Falls river to Jentoffs. 23 shacks and tents floating out in the middle.

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:46 PM »
open water by the shore line on L'ANSE side from mouth of Falls river to Jentoffs. 23 shacks and tents floating out in the middle.

23 is what might be floating, but thats just whats left.  At first dawn there were >65 tents, portables and large shacks at the mercy of mother nature.  By afternoon many of the heavy shacks were GONE.......either new fish structure or pieces in the ice chunk soup......That wind even from last week and the associated major seiche effects came back bigtime the last couple of days, and Lake Superior is not settled down yet either.  The Baraga perch/ smelt village people better be thinking hard about getting their stuff out of harms way as well.  If south winds blow the float stuff out and leave the lower bay half water, BEWARE!!!

Offline lovesmelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2011, 04:48 PM »
that sodaboy doesnt know what he's talkin about

Offline sodaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2011, 07:13 PM »
ok I seen the open water with my own eyes and 23 shacks is what I was told at 4 p.m by Steve at Indian Country Sports

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:05 PM »
ok I seen the open water with my own eyes and 23 shacks is what I was told at 4 p.m by Steve at Indian Country Sports

I also saw open water at the mouth of the falls, north. I recognized some of the shacks that were at the mouth of the falls, and I saw those floating in the middle of the bay. And yes, my shack is one of the many shacks out there floating. I did not see it coming and struck me by complete surprise. I am not a veteran of the big lake in anyway. I've only been fishing it for about 3 years. This is my second year with a permanent and now i'm hoping to recover what mother nature took from me.

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2011, 08:41 PM »
sunday morning i told people fishing off squaw beach to remove shacks, i was fishing north of squaw beach and the pressure crack that ran west to east was moving back and forth, one hour it would be a foot wide the next it would be 6 inches, the ice north of their was not locked in, plus guys were reporting waves under ice, that the ice was moving 1-2 ft. up and down, but because their was 15 inches of ice , the ice was good, well in my 20 + yrs. of ice fishing this lake i seen it break as much as 36 inches of ice in a matter of few hours, all it takes is the right waves, and right wind, and youd be surprised what that lake can do, nows theirs rumors down here, i say rumors cause i dont know if true yet, that coast guard is going to rescue shacks and charge owners for retrival.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:14 AM »
The wooden shacks aren't the disturbing part.....its all the heaters...garbage....p ropane tanks and other stuff that's gonna be all over the bottom of the bay that sucks!       Me personally I think the dnr should make permanent shacks on the great lakes illegal.    The big lake is to unpredictable to take chances of destroying it!     I understand that crap happens and nobody wanted to lose there stuff or pollute the lake...but you can't even have a permanent deer blind on state land.     Time to invest in portable shacks!

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:00 AM »
The wooden shacks aren't the disturbing part.....its all the heaters...garbage....p ropane tanks and other stuff that's gonna be all over the bottom of the bay that sucks!       Me personally I think the dnr should make permanent shacks on the great lakes illegal.    The big lake is to unpredictable to take chances of destroying it!     I understand that crap happens and nobody wanted to lose there stuff or pollute the lake...but you can't even have a permanent deer blind on state land.     Time to invest in portable shacks!

What he said....

Offline merwin69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2011, 12:38 PM »
so I have had a trip pland for 2 months to fish K/b sound like ice will be gone by the time I get there fri.
Any way to pull out a littel fishing  maybe a pier for some white fish? or how about huron bay to the east any fishing in that littel bay
Thanks for any help Merwin

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:13 PM »
so I have had a trip planed for 2 months to fish K/b sound like ice will be gone by the time I get there fri.
Any way to pull out a littel fishing  maybe a pier for some white fish? or how about huron bay to the east any fishing in that littel bay
Thanks for any help Merwin

Like previously mentioned k/b is pretty screwed up but there is still ice on Huron bay as far as whitefish waters go.. The ice is up to Witz's marina/lighthouse but from there out is open water..

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:22 PM »
right on BIG ARN!!!!!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2011, 02:44 PM »
I fished off baraga marina today,  2lb. coho, 4 lb. lake trout, 6.5 lb steelhead, and lost a real nice coho rite below ice, I had a great day! I talked to a guy fishing whitefish, he had 3 today, has caught 13 in last 3 trips out! be careful on ice, the ice has a frozen over channel from lighthouse to falls river, float ice is only froze together with 1/2 inch of ice! Dont follow the snowmachines across the ice, it is not safe, i hate to say it but i bet by the weekend someone is going thru ice in bay!

Offline merwin69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:40 PM »
OK so I lost faith In my friend that lives in nisla I need a littel help please!
white fish chum with a littel rice then use a sweedish pipel with no bait ?
For tout & saloman I thoght I would use a dojigger with a whole or head of a minow
how deep will the water be were the ice is left
I fish the sag. bay for walley I dont have Hundereds of feet of line on my reels
IF I need hundreds of feet I will have to re rig
Thank You Merwin

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:46 PM »
OK so I lost faith In my friend that lives in nisla I need a littel help please!
white fish chum with a littel rice then use a sweedish pipel with no bait ?
For tout & saloman I thoght I would use a dojigger with a whole or head of a minow
how deep will the water be were the ice is left
I fish the sag. bay for walley I dont have Hundereds of feet of line on my reels
IF I need hundreds of feet I will have to re rig
Thank You Merwin

You lost faith in sodaboy?

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:48 PM »
I talked to 6 people today coming off the Baraga side who said the fishing sucked again, and has ever since the big blow last week. Slayer79 where exactly are you catching all of these monsters?  Got any pics? 

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I talked to 6 people today coming off the Baraga side who said the fishing sucked again, and has ever since the big blow last week. Slayer79 where exactly are you catching all of these monsters?  Got any pics? 
HA, i didnt say i caught monsters, ive caught way bigger steelies in bay than that, 2 lb. coho is actually small, but i wasnt close to anyone, and i was shallower than 50 ft. maybe if u fish this bay for 20 plus years maybe  u too can catch fish, u should know its all in what u use and what the fish want on that day, weather plays a big role too, ive only been skunked 1 time this year, been out over 30 times, if i told everyone where i caught fish, id have a village by me tomorrow, and if u want pics of my fish, ill see if i can get it on here, i do have one of the steelhead. and one more thing, those people wouldnt be fishing by the perch shacks would they, if they caught a fish that would surprise me!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:07 PM »

GARSHOUSE, heres your picture, i never took pics of coho, herring or laketrout, i took one of steelie because i dont catch to many of these in location i was fishing!

Offline fishslayer79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:27 PM »
I fished off baraga marina today,  2lb. coho, 4 lb. lake trout, 6.5 lb steelhead, and lost a real nice coho rite below ice, I had a great day! I talked to a guy fishing whitefish, he had 3 today, has caught 13 in last 3 trips out! be careful on ice, the ice has a frozen over channel from lighthouse to falls river, float ice is only froze together with 1/2 inch of ice! Dont follow the snowmachines across the ice, it is not safe, i hate to say it but i bet by the weekend someone is going thru ice in bay!
I just heard people at our local grocery store saying someone went thru ice lastnite, thats all i heard, probably will be more!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Yer not braggin or anything, right.  LOL!

Offline Garshouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Since im posting pics, this one is from a few weeks ago somewhere near lighthouse,we could see it, me and 4 other people caught these, 15 coho, and 35 herring, but i bet the fishing was no good then, again we were by ourselfs, not close to anyone, left no sign of fish caught, the herring just happened to be moving by good, and we know what works!

Your not the only ones who know what works, Shane.......Seems you are very well known around Baraga and L'Anse.  Nice catches.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.