The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: hell creek  (Read 13051 times)

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: hell creek
« Reply #60 on: Jun 11, 2021, 04:39 PM »
How quick do those rooms get booked up? I'm thinking about getting something lined up for Hell Creek next winter and not sure if I should be calling now or if I already missed the boat?

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jun 12, 2021, 05:50 AM »
all you peckers out there.never fished peck i am boatless now any place to shore fish for smallies?
fish till it hurts then fish some more

Offline R-K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Aug 28, 2021, 10:20 AM »
Better question- does anybody rent fishing boats on Ft. Peck? Was hoping for something around the dam, I'd be open to other options as well. Google isn't exactly being helpful on this, though.
Trying to stay on the right side of the ground, and the ice.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Aug 30, 2021, 03:51 PM »
thanks R-K you may be right

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Sep 17, 2021, 01:51 PM »
How quick do those rooms get booked up? I'm thinking about getting something lined up for Hell Creek next winter and not sure if I should be calling now or if I already missed the boat?

I've got a cabin in February booked and will be taking the machine with me - if anyone has any "tips/ideas/dont forgets" I am all ears.

Don't need specifics, but how far from the marina do guys typically go? Do most of the bays/fingers fish generally the same? This will be the first time on Peck in hardwater. Hoping we can get into some decent sized walleye and maybe a bonus pike or 2. Just trying to figure out a good gameplan (or 2 or 3) ahead of time. I understand protecting the fishery, so if you'd rather PM me thats cool too.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:36 PM »
Better question- does anybody rent fishing boats on Ft. Peck? Was hoping for something around the dam, I'd be open to other options as well. Google isn't exactly being helpful on this, though.

Clint has a couple he rents at Hell Creek.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Oct 04, 2021, 07:38 PM »
all you peckers out there.never fished peck i am boatless now any place to shore fish for smallies?

Yup.  There are a few rock points in Hell Creek that hold them.  Use Google Earth to find them and have fun.

Offline hoofer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Oct 05, 2021, 03:55 AM »
thank you sir!

Offline missoulaicebeerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Oct 09, 2021, 08:22 PM »
Hey all!  Looking forward to seeing everyone again in February!  Doing 11 days again.  Thats the perfect amount of time for this guy as i don't feel rushed to get everything I want to get accomplished.  Got a new side x side and will be sticking out the tipups as always, but i'm definitely going to be focusing on jigging for lakers in the day and walleye in the evening,.  After the crew left last year and my side x side blew up I stayed in the bay and was really surprised by the walleye success I was getting myself into within 3 miles of the marina.  Used a medium-light 36" Haat rod for the first time last season on the walleye, so I picked up a heavy 46" Haat rod for lakers.  Looking forward to bending it on the ice.  Hope everyone is having a great off season.  -Cheers

Offline iceflippin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 15, 2021, 10:21 AM »
I'm excited and ready for out February Hell Creek trip, sure wish it was February now. The min. I leave Hell Creek I'm already dreaming about the following year of ice fishing. I'll def be joining you Beerdog on the jigging activity and I'm glad you have reliable transportation this year. I've definitely been spending the $ on new gear this year, haven't pulled the trigger on livescope yet, maybe next year. I've got a couple new guys coming with me this year.

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 22, 2021, 11:17 AM »
If anyone needs another body or a fill in for  a Feb trip I am interested.  We are in Lewistown but fish Hell Creek and surrounding waters all summer and Crooked most winters...but my fishing partner moved to Minnesota!!!! :'(

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 22, 2021, 11:24 AM »
Wondering what to expect road-wise in February? I've spent a bit of time in the area, but never driven down Hell Creek Rd north of Jordan. I know the roads can be bad, but just trying to gauge what to expect and bring. I'll be pulling a trailer - not sure if I need to invest in chains for the truck or not?

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2021, 11:58 AM »
Yes , invest in chains for truck.
Usually need them for the big hill.
Clint puts up chain up signs- pay attention to the signs.
Fp1

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2021, 01:08 PM »
Yes , invest in chains for truck.
Usually need them for the big hill.
Clint puts up chain up signs- pay attention to the signs.
Fp1

Thanks FP, good to know. Was planning on calling Clint when we head out, but just wanted to be prepared. I'll get a set ordered.

How often have you had to chain-up when going to/from the lake?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 22, 2021, 10:25 PM »
-never had to.  always carry them.  Popped a tire on a trailer once.  It's close to nothing. For some reason, I had a chainsaw, 4x4's and 2x6's to elevate the bottle jack to change the tire.  For some strange reason I felt the need to throw them in the bed of the truck before I left.  Glad I did.   It was really cold!  I'll be out there 1/11 -1/18 as well as the February trip.   anyone else coming out on those earlier dates??

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #75 on: Dec 22, 2021, 11:13 PM »
You boys should have lots of ice!  Looking like it’s going to be FRIGID there next week

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2021, 07:34 PM »
I'm Excited!!  I'm doing a solo trip in January, so I hope to make some new friends while i'm out there.  I'll be in a black and white side x side. I don't bite, so don't be a stranger.  I always have a warm up for a new face on the ice!  Fingers crossed we can get to the main in January but i wont hold my breath.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 25, 2021, 02:34 PM »
I'm Excited!!  I'm doing a solo trip in January, so I hope to make some new friends while i'm out there.  I'll be in a black and white side x side. I don't bite, so don't be a stranger.  I always have a warm up for a new face on the ice!  Fingers crossed we can get to the main in January but i wont hold my breath.
With the temps they're having up there the next 8 days or more, it seems to be looking good for January!

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=48.0044&lon=-106.4489

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #78 on: Dec 25, 2021, 02:40 PM »
Crazy it was over 70 degrees there a few weeks ago!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:35 PM »
Thanks FP, good to know. Was planning on calling Clint when we head out, but just wanted to be prepared. I'll get a set ordered.

How often have you had to chain-up when going to/from the lake?

The problem spot is the big hill leading down to the State Park and the smaller hills near the park.

oldschoolben

« Reply #80 on: Dec 26, 2021, 07:52 PM »
Is anyone from the Kalispell area going?

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Looks like we will miss the group coming in on the 14th - we will be there 11th-14th. Hoping for some good fishing, looks like there should be plenty of ice by then

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 06, 2022, 05:18 PM »
To the crew that goes out in the mid-February trip.....Not looking good folks.  Chatting with Iceflippin, already discussing back up plans, because Clint mentioned possible walk on only for the tournament on the 12th.  Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?  You guys still going?  Plan B?  Is the weatherman that far off??  Party at beerdog's place for 7 days??  **censored**?

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #83 on: Feb 06, 2022, 09:10 PM »
Ugh.... That forecast is junk!!

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 06, 2022, 09:16 PM »
Seen that info also, and was wondering the same thing. Visited w the other 2 from here, (still willing to go, if decent ice and shoreline. Not too thrilled about walk on only. But I do understand why). Both up for plan B, whatever that may be!? Also talked w other room, they r going to discuss it. Should hear from them in next day or so.
Sure would b nice to see the forecast change a little.  Hate to miss out on a fun week of fishing!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 06, 2022, 09:44 PM »
Talking Canyon Ferry for Plan B.  We found a spot where we have a reliable flash bite for about an hour in the evening for some eyes.  Open to additional ideas.  Love to see the crew every year, but I almost took a swim in peck a number of years ago, and this year is looking a lot warmer.  Once you talk to the other guys, let us know what you come up with!  (lets blame Steve....its the first trip to peck in 30 something years he's not going....I don't believe in coincidence )

Offline lipripr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 06, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Just talked w FP1. He said to call Clint on the 9th, c how shoreline is. Like u mentioned, doesn't sound good. I hear ya, seen some strange changes in ice conditions w/in a wk of fishing there.
I like the CF idea! Will keep in touch

Online grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Feb 07, 2022, 07:45 AM »
Was planning on calling Clint Wednesday for a report on the ice conditions/road - we are supposed to head up Friday but it’s not looking great. From negatives to a straight heatwave….Steve its your fault? Haha fingers crossed but we might have to make alternate plans.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 08, 2022, 09:03 PM »
Sorry Steve...Just being a smarty.  Yeah,  Just talked to Coldsmoke and Iceflippin, we're pretty sure we're not heading out there.  We have a 8-9 hour drive and it would really be a bummer to get out there and be turned away (or worse).  I bet you guys have seen the facebook post about more than likely they should have atv travel for the tournament on the 12th, but that's not a lot of assurance.  Looking like its going to be a high of 60 and blowing on Thursday.  Looking at the webcam looks like the ice isn't nice and clear like it was in January.  Going back to CF.  Bummer. 

Offline BobberdownMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Feb 09, 2022, 07:30 AM »
Fort peck to canyon ferry. That’s the most depressing part about it lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.