Author Topic: Favorite way to catch em  (Read 2005 times)

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
Favorite way to catch em
« on: Nov 22, 2022, 05:58 AM »
As we get closer and closer to that time here in the Northeast, what's your favorite species to target and favorite way to catch them?

I'll start - Rainbows and Browns jigging a small spoon tipped with a minnow or waxies. Nothin better than feeling those hits!
skippin' class to fish

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Favorite way to catch em
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:09 AM »
 Jigging Perch , walleyes , spoons and raps,  tipped
 Occasionally lakers , swim baits

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:18 AM »
I'm simple so I go with the easiest to catch, them crappies.

However, I probably say channel catfish is my most favorite to target.  Never know if I'm just catching some eaters of 16-18 inchers or hitting up some tanks of +28" and they will bite all day to all night depending on their work schedules.  ;D 

You can fish for them just like fishing for crappies or fish for them like you would like for walleyes.  Again depends on their work schedules.  ;D 

You bring the heavy gear and somedays they won't touch it.  You bring out the light gear and somedays it's all "ah my line broke!"  Depends on their work schedules.  ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:25 AM »
Tipups of various settings for everything, with a range of live minnow sizes from 2" fatheads for perch and crappies to 4-8" shiners / suckers for pike and lakers. Occassionally will drop a dead whoile sardine on the bottom for pike.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:28 AM »
Perch,perch and more perch, sometimes walleyes. Jigging with small jigs and spoons.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2022, 06:36 AM »
I mostly jig for bluegills in the winter. Occasionally I'll use spoons or plugs to go after bigger stuff, but the vast majority of the time it's just a little 2-3mm tungsten tipped with a bit of waxie.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2022, 07:02 AM »
Perch has traditionally been my favorite target species. There's much to like about these awesome predators. I jig both horizontal and vertical, spook-like jigs, rarely tipped, as I use my homemade jigging hooks (pimpelkrok) to trigger them instead. See photo. This season, I am actively going to target white perch and lakers as well, hoping I'll learn more about their patterns and lure/bait preferences. I can't wait to get out there.

Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2022, 09:27 AM »
sight fishing for big gills in clear water or deep jigging blades for perch

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2022, 10:06 AM »
I like to jig for panfish and watch tip-ups for pike.throw in a few smelt fishing trips in the mix also.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2022, 01:31 PM »
Swift Tines on a slimy, toothy critter while spinning dekes.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2022, 01:55 PM »
Jigging rattlebaits, jigging raps and tiny spoons, for a mix of panfish, bass and various trout species, depending on the venue.

Flag lines set with dead bait (live bait banned here) for pike, and long shot at possible musky.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2022, 02:10 PM »
Jigging Kasty's at 40-50 feet for big Perch!

And jigging anything for shallow Bows-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:19 AM »
I like jigging for pan fish.  I started making teardrop jigs years ago and rarely use anything else. Tipped with waxes or spikes, I've caught everything from perch to pike on them. Biggest problem I have is picking a color. They all latch fish one time or another.

They are deadly on monster perch.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:57 AM »
I like jigging for pan fish.  I started making teardrop jigs years ago and rarely use anything else. Tipped with waxes or spikes, I've caught everything from perch to pike on them. Biggest problem I have is picking a color. They all latch fish one time or another.

They are deadly on monster perch.

Those look great. Nice job! They're not dissimilar to some of the ones I use from time to time. Do you ever use these under a jigging spoon with a 3-7" mono leader in between?
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2022, 06:58 AM »
Jigging Chubby Darters for big predators is my favorite and very effective, but I love it all.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Those look great. Nice job! They're not dissimilar to some of the ones I use from time to time. Do you ever use these under a jigging spoon with a 3-7" mono leader in between?
No. I haven't done that yet. Usually 1 jig. There are times I will run a couple off dropper loops to give me more weight for deep perch.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2022, 12:03 PM »
Crappies or panfish are my most chased species.  Primary jig is the Pinhead Minnow.  Most times don't need meat on the hook, but when times get slow or hard, you can always tip with a waxie.  Walleye is probably my most favorite and always enjoy when I get the chance to chase these.  Its either a bare hook and full minnow under a deadstick or a rattling jig with a minnow head. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline A man called horse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:46 AM »
Last winter I went exclusively for trout and made up 00 buck size netted Powerbait  balls. No issue of “is the bait still there” after a bump. Most days only 2 or 3 will last the entire time.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:21 PM »
Shouldn't be a big mystery from me. Sometimes I like to hook them in the mouth, sometimes I like to spear them in the back.
-Tom

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:26 PM »
Maine Pike on tip ups. Lakers jigging swim bait and tubes. Crappie jigging plastics on a jig head
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2022, 05:34 PM »
Walleye with a walleye flyer (still have a few of the old style) under a venom float and Trout with small weighted flies, or dropper rigs under a venom float.

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2022, 09:16 AM »
YUP  Its like box of chocolate you never know what your going to get
    Forrest  Gump
snowsnake

Offline Toothhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:19 PM »
Gotta go with cross style tip ups for bass n pike.  Big browns on rubies and small goldens is a close second tho…

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2022, 04:52 AM »
Jigging panfish. Target Gills and Perch ,but I will not throw a Speck back should it come up through the hole.

And I'm going to spend more time this season running tipups for Pike...actually leaving the jig rods at home on some occasions.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2022, 07:44 AM »
Tip downs and jigging rattle spoons for perch is probably the most fun - close second is jigging up white bass and wipers and listening to the drag sing

Catchin' Fish

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2022, 10:25 AM »
Lakers on swimbaits.

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2022, 10:35 AM »
  Jigging spoons for lakers and Whitefish on an old solid jig stick  feeling that hit and set so much fun landing hand over hand.  The herring show up and get in the way but that is fun too.   I have at least 20 rods but love to jig old school.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2022, 11:14 AM »
There's a put-and-take trout pond near me with very clear water, and it is a hoot to sight fish those stocked rainbows, seeing them come in swarms of 5-10 fish and take swipes at your bait.  Not so much sport to that, though.

Other than the above, watching anything take your bobber below the hole with a live minnow is awesome, not knowing what is that's taking off with it.

Offline Percheye1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2022, 12:20 PM »
I like to jig a Swedish pimple tipped with a wax worm.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2022, 12:47 PM »
On anything I've built with my own hands. Rod or lures! The best is when both happen at the same time!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.