Author Topic: Ice Deterioration  (Read 1181 times)

Offline ReleaseN2Grease

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Deterioration
« on: Jan 24, 2024, 01:20 PM »
I’m sure others have asked and answered this question, but here we go. How quickly will ice deteriorate just based on temperature? There’s around 8 inches of ice, but the highs this week are 35-40F. I’m trying to determine if it’s even worth trying to plan a trip for this weekend or not. I know that ice isn’t melting that fast at those temps, but it’s barely getting below freezing at night.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Deterioration
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2024, 02:13 PM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2024, 02:57 PM »
I ice fish in North Idaho and Eastern WA state and the ice seasons are short and our ice rarely gets more than a foot thick unless you are at very high elevation, so I deal with the kind of weather you describe just about every winter.  I have found that if you have temps dipping below freezing each day the ice does not deteriorate much as those low temps represent a big part of the 24-hour cycle.   It is when you have consistent temps above freezing day and night that the ice begins to fail.  Late season the daylight hours are longer and that is the beginning of the end of ice season.   That said know that sunny shorelines, docks, and river and stream currents are to be avoided as the ice goes faster in those places.

Offline ReleaseN2Grease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2024, 03:41 PM »
I ice fish in North Idaho and Eastern WA state and the ice seasons are short and our ice rarely gets more than a foot thick unless you are at very high elevation, so I deal with the kind of weather you describe just about every winter.  I have found that if you have temps dipping below freezing each day the ice does not deteriorate much as those low temps represent a big part of the 24-hour cycle.   It is when you have consistent temps above freezing day and night that the ice begins to fail.  Late season the daylight hours are longer and that is the beginning of the end of ice season.   That said know that sunny shorelines, docks, and river and stream currents are to be avoided as the ice goes faster in those places.

Thanks for the info, the temps dip below freezing for only a few hours each night/morning and then are above freezing the remainder of the day hence my concern. I’ve only been out once so it can’t be over so soon!!

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2024, 04:17 PM »
as long as you have snow on top of the ice it won't melt.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:14 PM »
The shore lines will be bad ice might need a plank and holes won't freeze they will become drain holes bring a spud and use it don't drive any machines on it

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:20 PM »
as long as you have snow on top of the ice it won't melt.
Nice knowing you. My condolences to your friends and family.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:22 PM »
Nice knowing you. My condolences to your friends and family.
Brush up on your basic physics.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:26 AM »
Physics is involved for sure.

When water changes to ice, that phase change releases energy into the surrounding water ( latent heat of crystallization ) that serves to retard the further freezing of water until that energy is removed from the water via exposure to air that is < 32 F

When ice changes back to water, that phase change absorbs energy from the surrounding water ( the same amount of energy as in freezing, just acting oppositely on the water phase ), that serves to retard the further melting of the ice until energy is put back into the water via exposure to air that is > 32 F.

The layman's conclusion from the above is that it is hard to make ice, but the ice melts slower than it forms when the time weighted temperature average below ( forming ) and then above ( melting ) the freezing point is the same
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2024, 11:18 AM »
I’m sure others have asked and answered this question, but here we go. How quickly will ice deteriorate just based on temperature? There’s around 8 inches of ice, but the highs this week are 35-40F. I’m trying to determine if it’s even worth trying to plan a trip for this weekend or not. I know that ice isn’t melting that fast at those temps, but it’s barely getting below freezing at night.

Head north. If you can get around the Alexandria area, they should have good ice. We are over 16" in Webster, but there are spots that are thinner.
-Tom

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2024, 11:59 AM »
Just checked ice in SE WI. It is going to very unsafe by weekend its like walking on a sponge you can see the water on vibrating and water moving up and down in holes. Top is honeycombed for about 1 in on top of 4 in of ice. I'm not going on any more in this part of SE WI.

Offline ReleaseN2Grease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:33 PM »
Head north. If you can get around the Alexandria area, they should have good ice. We are over 16" in Webster, but there are spots that are thinner.

I’m down in Mankato. I haven’t been on any of the big lakes around, but the small one I was on last weekend was 8” of solid black ice with an inch or two or snow. I’m going to check ice after work today or tomorrow morning.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2024, 04:46 PM »
Here's one way to think about ice conditions in changing weather.

If the difference between the high for the day and 32 F is less that the difference between the low and 32 F, then the body of water should have added ice.
If the differences are reversed (more high than low) the ice will be lost.

Then if it's sunny vs. cloudy, clean ice vs. snow covered the effect will be more noticeable.

You can also sway things more in your favor if you access the ice from an western shore, as the winter sun is lower in the sky so the western shores receive less direct sun than the east. The ponds I like to frequent show this effect every year. The west shore can have 5-8 " while the east shore might be open water.

Heck, there have been a few years when I was fishing on 6-8" on a pond that was open on the eastern half.

Above all else, stay safe and dry and don't push your limitations and take uneccesary risks.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2024, 05:14 PM »
I’m down in Mankato. I haven’t been on any of the big lakes around, but the small one I was on last weekend was 8” of solid black ice with an inch or two or snow. I’m going to check ice after work today or tomorrow morning.

You will be just fine this weekend. Next weekend might be weird if we really get the heat I see in the forecast.

Edit: I just checked, and they lowered the high predictions next week down quite a bit. Maybe we will get lucky. The forecast in Mankato does not look great though.
-Tom

Offline CrappiePerchDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:06 PM »
You will be just fine this weekend. Next weekend might be weird if we really get the heat I see in the forecast.

Edit: I just checked, and they lowered the high predictions next week down quite a bit. Maybe we will get lucky. The forecast in Mankato does not look great though.

From what i’m seeing, this weekend will be sketchy as hell and next weekend will be boat weather

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:27 PM »
If you already had 8" of solid ice a few days ago, a few days of hovering near freezing isn't going to make that sketchy to walk on. I don't know how it has been there, but it hasn't even been sunny here. Cloudy, and now foggy. The snow has barely even began to melt.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.