Author Topic: What should next big purchase be?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What should next big purchase be?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:52 PM »
This decision can also be a function of how much risk each of us will accept. There is, of course, some inherent danger in what we do. Ice skating and snow mobiles claim their share

every year also but it's still a vanishingly low percentage of ice fishermen who drown each year. It seems it's like the dog walkers and the eight year old boys that wind up as the

chief fatalities. The Colorado high country where I fish makes hard ice early and thick (26" last weekend) so apart from first and late ice it's just not an important issue for me. If a

float suit gives you some peace of mind, that's where to put your money. To the OP, it doesn't really sound like a power auger should be even be in your top three priorities.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:03 PM »
This is a great question - I'm about in the same shanty after I picked up my big hub this year and upgraded my transducer for the ice.

Not knowing what you have I'd have to throw in a vote for good boots, mittens, coat, chair and various layering clothes.

If you want to take your better half out I'd say get 'em geared up to do well in the cold.  I like taking a small speaker and lantern out that are USB powered with a decent USB power pack.  A bit of music is good company when the fish aren't biting and having a charging capability readily on hand is a huge plus.

My buddy has one of those Lithium ion 8" augers and it is pretty sweet, if you live in a place where you get a ton of ice I can see how that would be a good investment - I like them a lot more than the gas ones just because they are so much quieter.
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:04 PM »
My next big purchase (relating to fishing of course) 'should' be a Panoptix Livescope to go with my newly acquired Garmin echoMAP Plus 95sv ... but thinking the price will need to drop somewhat first.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline FlamDragger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:05 PM »
I consider a float suit like car insurance. I’d rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. (Car insurance is mandatory in this State, by the way)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Oh - an underwater camera!

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:26 PM »
I'm thinking float suit

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Float suit. Not only will it be the warmest thing you've ever had, you'll find that most days you won't need a shanty/shelter or a heater. Watch ice fishing shows on TV. I can't remember a recent show that all the players didn't have a float suit on. Even the guys that fish pro. Nothing wrong with wearing the suit in springtime cold open water. A good Striker suit is about the same $$ as a good Bird / Lowrance / Garmin  sonar.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #37 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:09 AM »
So I have a Shanty, Flasher, and am buying the portable buddy heater. What should I buy next? I have a hand Auger. Should I buy a drill and clam plate, bibs, Kdrill? All reccomendations welcome.

Big Sled or make your own to drag out all the gear you have.  If hand dragging sled...good ice cleats, better with ice crampons.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:06 AM »
Love my striker predator bibs, after that purchase I picked up a Ridgid and now I'm waiting for the damn batteries to be delivered...
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:49 AM »
I hope this isn't serious... this is some real misinformation that you're spreading.

...I can tread water for longer than 99.9% of people on this site.

That is quite a claim. Do you even bench, bro?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:13 AM »
That is quite a claim. Do you even bench, bro?

inverted 5gal drills for days  :flex: ...bet you dont even hand auger brah ;)2
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Definitely a float suit. Falling out of a boat in open water is a lot different then breaking through the ice.

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:10 PM »
So I have a Shanty, Flasher, and am buying the portable buddy heater. What should I buy next? I have a hand Auger. Should I buy a drill and clam plate, bibs, Kdrill? All reccomendations welcome.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are you looking to spend?

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Im not really sure how much I want to spend to be honest. I really want a Milwaukee Fuel and K Drill, but thats alot of money to spend at the end of the season. Im debating buying the Milwaukee this year and buying K drill next season.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:36 PM »
I'd probably recommend setting aside some money on the Milwukee drill if you're going to go that route and wait for a sale.  There can be some pretty good deals on them.  It also sounds like they have some chuck issues on the new 2804 hammer drill that they will presumably have worked out for next year.  This was the first year for the 2804.

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:45 PM »
I bought the 6 In K-Drill this year. Just under 200 bucks. Attached to my Dewalt 20V 3ah Hammer drill.  Drilled 20 holes through 14 inches of ice and only went down 1 battery light.  Drill never slowed down.

In other words...You don't have to buy a Milwaukee Fuel.  I know guys that use a Harbor Freight Drill with their augers.
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I would get floating bibs and a coat. I got striker bibs and coat separately off ebay just waiting for a deal. I go the whole suit for about $130-140 I can't remember. If you buy them new you will spend $300-400. They were used but in awesome condition. When the ice is thin I wear it for safety, when the ice is thick I wear it for warmth. I get cold easy and no matter what I used to do I would get cold before. Now I don't even take my shanty anymore since they are so warm. And if you buy used you could get the bibs, coat, and drill for under $300 I bet, especially if you wait for deals on ebay, your local classifieds, or facebook if you do that. And I would get the ridged because of their LSA (lifetime service agreement I think is what that stands for) they cover batteries and drill.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Smitty Sled Kit......it's a back & lung saver.......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:12 PM »
Or put it towards gas money and lodging and take an epic trip somewhere new. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Imma vote for more gas money and hotel rooms to fish exotic, new places. Oh, and beer money and singles for the dancing girls.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 08, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Imma vote for more gas money and hotel rooms to fish exotic, new places. Oh, and beer money and singles for the dancing girls.

Stopped at stow last week to get bait and all they had were Rosie's.  I'm thinking to myself is it better to keep the receipt for the DEC or to lose it to avoid the "Who is this Rosie and why did you spend 4 bucks on her" from the old lady!

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Or put it towards gas money and lodging and take an epic trip somewhere new.

This is an idea i can get behind.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:13 AM »
Since we’re nearing the end of the season in our neck of the woods anyway, do what I do.  Make a list of all of the items you’re looking for in the coming year and then buy as you find deals on them.  I buy winter boots and ice shelters in July and buy open water reels & rods and life vests in January for example.  I save thousands of dollars annually shopping this way.  Another tip...Don’t wait to buy until something becomes a ‘need’, buy when it’s still a ‘want’.  You’ll be far less inclined to overpay for things.  I spend A LOT of money on fishing gear, but I save A LOT too.  Just the other day I found a deal and purchased three high end open water spinning rods for $346.  Retail price was $865.  Shop hard, spend wisely.

Oh, and lastly, watch the ‘Best Deals’ thread all year round.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Guys, he said big purchase.  Picks and ropes are a mandatory little purchase, just like spikes on boots.  I would go float suit for big purchase.  If you miss the year end sales, on Memorial Day Striker usually has a 30% off sale. 

Forget the KDrill, a NilsUsa Orange 6" is all you need, much smoother operating. I used mine for 2 years with basic Hitachi 18v drill. Then I bought a Milwaukee.  The kdrill are aggressive, I hate mine, don't use it. Make matters worse I spent $25 on a ColdSnap cover for it, what a waste.  Stick with Electric drill of some kind.  I can't stand the noise from gas engines on the ice and to make matters worse the guy with the dull auger always ends up next to me...drilling 8 holes.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.