Author Topic: What should next big purchase be?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
What should next big purchase be?
« on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:54 PM »
So I have a Shanty, Flasher, and am buying the portable buddy heater. What should I buy next? I have a hand Auger. Should I buy a drill and clam plate, bibs, Kdrill? All reccomendations welcome.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What should next big purchase be?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:00 PM »
If you've been primarily fishing on less than 10" of ice I would say float suit....

Offline MTIceHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:04 PM »
If you've been primarily fishing on less than 10" of ice I would say float suit....

X2

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:05 PM »

x3
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline iceslider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:27 PM »
X4
Well I ain’t often been right but I never been wrong
Seldom turns out the way it does in the song

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:28 PM »
I guess a float suit it is. Thanks for feedback.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:29 PM »
By all means pick up a float suit if you feel very unlucky or very likely to make bonehead decisions about where to fish. Myself, I'd pick up a top shelf drill, either the Milwaukee Fuel

or the Ridgid Octane. Depending on your current hand auger model, you can adapt it or pick up a new one to mount to the drill. My current favorite is the 7" Mini Nero though other

brands certainly have their adherents. One man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog. The drill also gives you a great year round tool. Clam plate is optional with the Ridgid drill.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:37 PM »
By all means pick up a float suit if you feel very unlucky or very likely to make bonehead decisions about where to fish. Myself, I'd pick up a top shelf drill, either the Milwaukee Fuel

or the Ridgid Octane. Depending on your current hand auger model, you can adapt it or pick up a new one to mount to the drill. My current favorite is the 7" Mini Nero though other

brands certainly have their adherents. One man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog. The drill also gives you a great year round tool. Clam plate is optional with the Ridgid drill.

Yes but if hes fishing less than 10 inches, he doesnt really need a drill on his auger imo, good pair of floating bibs get my vote
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:45 PM »

Yes but if hes fishing less than 10 inches, he doesnt really need a drill on his auger imo, good pair of floating bibs get my vote

You make a good point but we don't really know where he's fishing. I see float suits in a different light than others do but I'm sure content to let each man decide for himself where

beauty lies.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:49 PM »
Where I fish is mainly under 10 inches, but some Lakes I want to fish is 12inches plus. I live in michigan.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:49 PM »
You make a good point but we don't really know where he's fishing. I see float suits in a different light than others do but I'm sure content to let each man decide for himself where

beauty lies.

You saying the float suits dont work?  Or that they aren't necessary if you use your other safety tools.  They sure are expensive.  I'll be in the market for a new set of bibs next year and was most likely going to get some with flotation built in.  The combination of rain, warm spells, refreeze and snow make the ice conditions in MA quite hazardous if you aren't careful.
westernmas on the finder

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:51 PM »

beauty lies.

Maybe enlighten the people then? Wearing a float suit is the same as wearing a life jacket on a boat, do you see life jackets in a different light too?
Stuff happens, people go through the ice, boats sink, and there doesn't need to be any bonehead decision to make it happen. One more question, do you wear your seatbelt?

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:52 PM »
You saying the float suits dont work?  Or that they aren't necessary if you use your other safety tools.  They sure are expensive.  I'll be in the market for a new set of bibs next year and was most likely going to get some with flotation built in.  The combination of rain, warm spells, refreeze and snow make the ice conditions in MA quite hazardous if you aren't careful.

Do it, they work and could save your life potentially.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2019, 03:58 PM »
If you think about it long enough all a float suit ensures is that you're easy to find. Getting out and getting warm still need to happen for you to live. I'm still undecided if they do much good or break even due to giving some people false confidence to risk it on thin ice.  I own one but doubt it'd save me if it ever came down to it.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:04 PM »
If you think about it long enough all a float suit ensures is that you're easy to find. Getting out and getting warm still need to happen for you to live. I'm still undecided if they do much good or break even due to giving some people false confidence to risk it on thin ice.  I own one but doubt it'd save me if it ever came down to it.

Jump in some cold water this spring with a float suit or life jacket, then do it without, it makes a big difference. Keeping your head above water keeps you calm which is the biggest problem, once you are in you gotta make good decisions.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:18 PM »
If you think about it long enough all a float suit ensures is that you're easy to find.

I hope this isn't serious... this is some real misinformation that you're spreading.

One of the biggest concerns with going in is the initial mouthful of water/shock. A float suit will help you keep your head above water when you fall in. Another issue is not being able to pull yourself out, once again a float suit helps because it makes you more buoyant, allowing you to "slide out" rather than "lift yourself out". You realize how much winter gear weighs when wet? You will sink like a stone. I played water polo and swam for many years, I can tread water for longer than 99.9% of people on this site. When you're wearing winter clothing that doesn't matter. Hell, muck boots alone would make it near impossible to tread. A float suit keeps you buoyant while your buddy finds his throw rope.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:29 PM »
I hope this isn't serious... this is some real misinformation that you're spreading.

One of the biggest concerns with going in is the initial mouthful of water/shock. A float suit will help you keep your head above water when you fall in. Another issue is not being able to pull yourself out, once again a float suit helps because it makes you more buoyant, allowing you to "slide out" rather than "lift yourself out". You realize how much winter gear weighs when wet? You will sink like a stone. I played water polo and swam for many years, I can tread water for longer than 99.9% of people on this site. When you're wearing winter clothing that doesn't matter. Hell, muck boots alone would make it near impossible to tread. A float suit keeps you buoyant while your buddy finds his throw rope.

Good point! a buddy with a throw rope, and some picks are better than a float suit for safety IMHO. Good judgement is even more important, but you can't just buy that either.
Seriously, it is a personal decision- if you are cold, buy clothes, if you are worn out from drilling holes, get a drill. You should be evaluating your trips, and always be thinking how to improve. If you are married to sitting in a shanty, I assume you can't move more than a few times a day. In that case, the thing that might change your luck the most would be a Panoptix sonar. You could look around and see if it warranted moving the shanty. Might also allow you to place it better the first time if you drilled a hole and scanned the surrounding 100' for fish.

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:32 PM »
I have to cast my vote for the float suit; they are warm and practical when on the ice; As noted, they keep your head above the water. I hit a gas hole a couple of years ago and was back up on solid ice in less than a minute. The report on the recent ice fisherman's death in upstate NY reported he broke thru and never resurfaced. It is a lot cheaper than a casket and if all else fails it makes the body easier to recover. Most importantly to me, it keeps my wife and kids from worrying about me.  After that I would buy a K-drill and a Milwaukee Drill.

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:35 PM »
Power auger (whether drill or gas or electric) and a spud bar. Float suit is fine and dandy but not going through in the first place is more important.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:36 PM »

I'm glad to hear my magic suit will pop me out of the hole and keep me from dying of hypothermia!

Offline profisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:52 PM »
Would wearing a life jacket solve the issue? Then I could buy a drill too?

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:52 PM »
I'm glad to hear my magic suit will pop me out of the hole and keep me from dying of hypothermia!

At least we now know that you are not only ignorant, but also illiterate. I wonder if you'll think about me when your boots touch the bottom of the lake  ::)
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Would wearing a life jacket solve the issue? Then I could buy a drill too?

Yes. You can find some pretty low profile PFDs online for a lot cheaper than a float suit too.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:56 PM »
At least we now know that you are not only ignorant, but also illiterate. I wonder if you'll think about me when your boots touch the bottom of the lake  ::)

I made a valid point and you called it misinformation. Perhaps you are illiterate.

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2019, 04:59 PM »
I made a valid point and you called it misinformation. Perhaps you are illiterate.

When did I say your suit will pop you out of the water or save you from hypothermia..?  You're off your rocker, bud.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:11 PM »
I made the point that a float suit itself will not save you.  You called this misinformation. As others have mentioned there's a lot to surviving going through.  I wear a float suits but when it comes down to it I'm fishing by myself most days lots of good decisions will need to be made for that suit to do me any good. It's much easier and safer to not go through to begin with

Back to the discussion that this post is about the life jacket is a great compromise.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:15 PM »
I made the point that a float suit itself will not save you.  You called this misinformation. As others have mentioned there's a lot to surviving going through.  I wear a float suits but when it comes down to it I'm fishing by myself most days lots of good decisions will need to be made for that suit to do me any good. It's much easier and safer to not go through to begin with

Back to the discussion that this post is about the life jacket is a great compromise.

Guess I've died twice then.  You clearly have not gone through with one on.  Baseless speculation on the topic of safety is not a card well played...

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:16 PM »
Sounds like you should be safer and not go through to begin with

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Power auger (whether drill or gas or electric) and a spud bar. Float suit is fine and dandy but not going through in the first place is more important.

This.

Foatsuits are fine and all, and in all honesty my next pair of bibs will more than likely have that feature (I need new bibs anyways), but they are designed to work AFTER you break through the ice. A properly used spud bar will keep you dryer and warmer than a properly used floatsuit.

My vote is for a drill and clam plate. Use the hand auger you already have, maybe throw a new set of blades on it, and go to town man. I’m partial to Milwaukee myself.

Also, for what it’s worth, I live in Clare County Michigan. I haven’t been on over 24” of ice in the last decade. Most ice I’m on is rarely over 16”. I’m good on a solid 4”. If I’m really that concerned about floatation, I’ll wear a cheap $10 life preserver (which I’ve never felt the need to wear). Serves the same primary function as any floatsuit at a fraction of the cost and bulk. Lots of guys still ice fished way before floatsuits were even a thing.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:25 PM »
Have you noticed how grumpy we all get the weather screws up the ice? Lots of good ideas from experienced ice fisherman. Ice Shanty is really a special resource!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.