Author Topic: OCTANE COMBO. FOR THOSE HOLDING OUT.  (Read 14764 times)

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: OCTANE COMBO. FOR THOSE HOLDING OUT.
« Reply #60 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:09 PM »
I ended up getting my wife to drive the 180 mile round trip (bless her soul) to pick up the drill at the closet store in stock for me today and the battery is being delivered later this week most likely. Initial thoughts on the drill is that it is a big bulky one but seems heavy duty for sure.

Are you guys that have run it putting it on setting 1 or 2 and which notch on the torque handle?

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Just ordered! Battery shipped free, pick up drill at hd, which is next to cabelas, which I have a gift card.
And I'll use drill as write off as I'm in construction 😬

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:26 PM »
I ended up getting my wife to drive the 180 mile round trip (bless her soul) to pick up the drill at the closet store in stock for me today and the battery is being delivered later this week most likely. Initial thoughts on the drill is that it is a big bulky one but seems heavy duty for sure.

Are you guys that have run it putting it on setting 1 or 2 and which notch on the torque handle?
You run the drill on setting 1. Where it shows an image of a screw drill bit and hammer select the drill bit.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #63 on: Dec 26, 2018, 08:57 PM »
Forgive me, as I'm not a handyman with not much of power tool knowledge, but this drill does not appear to be big to me at all.

Or maybe I just remember things as a kid when power tools appear huge.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:01 PM »
It’s large compared to my old dewalt 18V and all of my buddies Milwaukee Fuels. Not saying this is a bad thing.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:03 PM »
I might have to get one....

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
« Reply #66 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:13 AM »
I can’t find this drill anywhere on Ridgid website or Home Depot. Maybe it’s not available yet?

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:01 AM »
I can’t find this drill anywhere on Ridgid website or Home Depot. Maybe it’s not available yet?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

I've had one since early October. :)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:24 AM »
I noticed one of the reviewers on HD site said that the Overload Protection is really touchy when under heavy load.   Has anyone experienced this?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #69 on: Dec 27, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I noticed one of the reviewers on HD site said that the Overload Protection is really touchy when under heavy load.   Has anyone experienced this?

According to some youtube video, some guys testing it with both drills vs each other connected, the Milwaukee would beat the Octane after the overload kicks in.

Offline Browtine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Will this set up attach directly to the drill or do I need an adapter ?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:41 AM »

Depends what auger you use.  Some come ready to attach directly to a drill (such as the KDrill and Eskimo Pistol), all other "hand" augers will need an adapter. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:44 AM »
On a side note, is there an easy way to browse the other tools that are part of the free deal?   I know there is a list, but it sucks to search each tool by part number individually. 

Offline Browtine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Depends what auger you use.  Some come ready to attach directly to a drill (such as the KDrill and Eskimo Pistol), all other "hand" augers will need an adapter.

Thank You for the info. I have a Nils. Any adapter you would recommend  ?

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:35 AM »
Thank You for the info. I have a Nils. Any adapter you would recommend  ?
The Kovac Ice Master adapter is great, it has a little bungee cord to keep the auger from falling down the hole if it ever lets loose.  Nils also makes a nice one with a disc to prevent the auger from going through the hole.  Can't go wrong either way.

Offline Browtine

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:40 AM »
The Kovac Ice Master adapter is great, it has a little bungee cord to keep the auger from falling down the hole if it ever lets loose.  Nils also makes a nice one with a disc to prevent the auger from going through the hole.  Can't go wrong either way.

Thank You, Off to fishusa I go.

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
« Reply #76 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:33 PM »
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

I've had one since early October. :)

Thanks

It appears they just haven’t added it to the Canadian side of things.  We’re usually half a year behind getting stuff available.

Cheers

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #77 on: Dec 27, 2018, 04:42 PM »

I had an 8" NILs - used the nils drill adapter.  It worked fine and is quality made.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Took my octane out for the first time today and it rips! My 8” lazer arrives tomorrow so I was using a 6” lazer and my clam plate. 10” of ice in a couple seconds. Definitely faster than the same setup with my ridgid x4. Did around 30 holes and battery shows full bars.

Offline shoeshineman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 27, 2018, 09:40 PM »
I ran my Octane with 6" Nils blue auger last weekend for the first time. This thing cuts 10" of good clear ice in less than 10 seconds for sure. I have absolutely zero interest looking at any other power auger after experiencing this setup.

I take my manual auger handle with me in the bottom of the sled. Uses very little room, so I'm basically able to have a ultralight power auger and a manual backup in one unit. I also have a smoking beast of a cordless for totally other purposes during the rest of the year.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:03 PM »
I have the 2nd gen clam plate, does not require chuck removal. I had to adjust the main vertical bracket to get the trigger to line up, but otherwise no issues. I wedged a dime under the u-bracket alongside the handle so it could grab the drill without hitting the switch for the light. Very happy with it and looking forward to my 8” auger.

Any issue attaching to the clam plate? Do you have the old model where you have to remove the chuck or the new model? A lot of guys have been complaining about it not fitting. I'm still waiting on my drill to come in. I have the older clam plate but just ordered the new one. Also plan on running the 8" lazer. Please post how it works. I'm excited for this set up. Thanks.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #81 on: Dec 27, 2018, 10:31 PM »
Any issue attaching to the clam plate? Do you have the old model where you have to remove the chuck or the new model? A lot of guys have been complaining about it not fitting. I'm still waiting on my drill to come in. I have the older clam plate but just ordered the new one. Also plan on running the 8" lazer. Please post how it works. I'm excited for this set up. Thanks.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=361817

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=363348.0

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #82 on: Dec 27, 2018, 11:06 PM »
New guy here!  ;D You guys cost me $175 today because of these Ridgid Octane threads.   ::)  :-\

But the good news is my 7" Lazer now has a real power head (i.e. Not me...  :P), and it's going to be a beast!!!  :clap:  :woot: :thumbsup:

Drill in hand, and battery due Monday.  Can't wait to try it out!  :icefish:
Tight lines!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Dec 27, 2018, 11:12 PM »
welcome to the shanty!
glad you made it.

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #84 on: Dec 27, 2018, 11:52 PM »
welcome to the shanty!
glad you made it.

Thanks!
Tight lines!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Dec 27, 2018, 11:58 PM »
Yes, these folks here are costing me money for fun.  I had to go buy the auger conversion and now looking for a cheap frisbee to function as auger saver...

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:04 AM »
i hear walmart has them for 1$

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #87 on: Dec 28, 2018, 12:52 AM »
Yes, these folks here are costing me money for fun.  I had to go buy the auger conversion and now looking for a cheap frisbee to function as auger saver...

i hear walmart has them for 1$

Yep, $0.94 at my local store, with the dog toys.  Red, orange, and blue options.  ~9.5" diameter.
Tight lines!

Offline IveGotWorms

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hunting giant eyes
« Reply #88 on: Dec 28, 2018, 01:30 AM »
Yep, $0.94 at my local store, with the dog toys.  Red, orange, and blue options.  ~9.5" diameter.

I was gonna use the bottom off a bucket. But a cheap frisbee is a way easier route. Good ideas. 

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #89 on: Dec 28, 2018, 02:46 AM »
I was gonna use the bottom off a bucket. But a cheap frisbee is a way easier route. Good ideas.

I'm building my own drill adapter for my Lazer that will have adjustable height, similar to the HT Enterprises one (but hopefully won't snap off under the power of the Octane like the HT does).  Bought a few parts for it today, including that frisbee.  Definitely a good idea, and I got it here! :thumbsup:
Tight lines!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.