Author Topic: After the knife  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
After the knife
« on: Mar 14, 2023, 05:40 AM »
Been playing around with fillets after getting them processed.  A local old timer around my neck of woods puts his in a light saltwater brine over night to help firm up fish.  I have tried with crappies perch  cusk and had good results especially for crappies they see to be mushier than others.  Perch and cusk aren't mushy but I find fillets hold form better cooked when brined.  Curious what you guys are doing with catch.
Another thing I don't really like freezing catch but I can only get cusk in winter and would like some throughout year.  Vacuum sealing keeps freezer burn off but consistency of meat changes almost rubbery after about 3months.  I would love any input on this as well.  Thanks
Dirt

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: After the knife
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2023, 06:39 AM »
I soak my fillets in milk overnight. Into a strainer to drain and then vacsealed.

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2023, 09:47 AM »
I get a freezer bag 1/2 filled with filets, fill the rest with water from the sink, squeeze out the air. Looks like a little pillow when you’re done. I’ve had better success than than with vacuum bags
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2023, 01:56 PM »
I find thawing them slowly in the fridge over a couple days works better than sticking them in cold water for a day.
Tight Lines!

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2023, 02:29 PM »
I do the light brine over night also. Then either cook them fresh or into a vac bag. I agree the bag of water keeps them better in the freezer than the vac bags but the ice blocks take up more space and are harder to thaw than the vac bags.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2023, 02:48 PM »
I rarely eat crappie. I just don't like them as much. Less meat and to me the taste is off. My go to is white perch and cusk. I make a seasoned flour then an egg wash then seasoned bread crumbs or crushed Ritz crackers. Then fry in oil. No complaints from my two boys. They are usually going before I get some.....
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2023, 02:56 PM »
I soak my fillets in milk overnight.

Same.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2023, 05:42 AM »
If you ever fileted fish and left them in a ziplock for a few days you will see how much moisture is lost from them. I fillet my fish and do not rinse until I defrost (unless guts explode). I let them sit in a ziplock for 3-4 days in the fridge, pat dry, then wrap in plastic wrap, freezer paper and the vacuum seal. As mentioned, a slow fridge defrost that takes 2 days is best. If you are rinsing before freezing, those chemicals are breaking down the protein much faster this making them even more rubbery. Just rinse then soak in ice water for an hour before you cook them. Tautog, cod, crappie and cusk all seam to need this extra help IF you really don't enjoy it otherwise.
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2023, 05:49 AM »
I am after crappie shortly. If I get a chance I'll send pics.

I fillet and freeze a ton of fish, more than anyone I know. I eat it all year with no problems.

Just add water.

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2023, 05:40 AM »
Thanks for advice guys i had no idea about the rinsing thing good to know I was my own worst enemy.  I will trust you Sharps on this cause I've seen your hauls very nice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.