Author Topic: White perch  (Read 2388 times)

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
White perch
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 06:13 PM »

my season so far on the white perch ( no limit here on them )
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: White perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:02 PM »
you got yourself a nice hotspot! I have never caught more than 4 small ones in any single outing. only once, did I target them. Wouldn't mind hitting them like THAT, tho' !  What state are you in?

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Don't have any of them around me that I know of, at least not in any size or numbers. How are they to eat? Comparable to yellows or not really?
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:28 PM »
you got yourself a nice hotspot! I have never caught more than 4 small ones in any single outing. only once, did I target them. Wouldn't mind hitting them like THAT, tho' !  What state are you in?
vermont and they’re a plague one of the invasive that shouldn’t be here but now that they are they get huge
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 09:18 AM »
Lots of them around my area too. They are a forage fish for striped bass that keep them in the river over the winter. Some of them get pretty good sized too, 10”+ and when a school is around non-stop jigging action.

Offline fabric-man1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:22 PM »
A buddy and I just pounded them in the Niagara river off the point at squaw island in the spring time from a boat. No Northern pike but lots and lots of white perch. I dont think im gonna mess with them anymore they were kinda slimy,and with the amount we caught that was a lot of slime to fillet.Yuck I say.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Yes they’re a very slimy fish very bloody

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I don't eat fresh water fish other than trout, but I am told that they are very good eating.

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Awesome eating right there!
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Excellent table fair. Flaky white meat. Bleed them out on the ice, and I prefer them over yellows, or trout.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:35 PM »
They’re so abundant in Vermont where I live it’s unreal you can’t troll for Lakers in the summer months on champlain they do nothing but set off the downriggers constantly

Offline Land of 10,000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Disgusting eating IMO.  Very strong fishy taste.  You can cut out the darker meat which I've tried and still nasty!  As ice fiend said they are very slimy and bloody.  I wouldn't eat um if you caught, cleaned, and cooked them for me.  VERY FUN to catch though.  165 pounds in one outing is my best which I'm sure Ice Fiend has topped.  22 gallons I believe is what I had.  A few years ago all to myself to the side of Burton Island.  I don't target them but if I happen upon them I will fish them by myself.

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Slayed them! Way to much cleaning for me!

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2018, 09:13 PM »
Disgusting eating IMO.  Very strong fishy taste.  You can cut out the darker meat which I've tried and still nasty!  As ice fiend said they are very slimy and bloody.  I wouldn't eat um if you caught, cleaned, and cooked them for me.  VERY FUN to catch though.  165 pounds in one outing is my best which I'm sure Ice Fiend has topped.  22 gallons I believe is what I had.  A few years ago all to myself to the side of Burton Island.  I don't target them but if I happen upon them I will fish them by myself.
best I’ve done is 175lbs

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.