Author Topic: ice jiggin buddy tip up??  (Read 1653 times)

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
ice jiggin buddy tip up??
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Anybody use these? How do you like?My mom ordered me one for xmas and I haven"t gotten it yet... looks neat though and he has a youtube video link on his site http://www.tipup.net/

Offline gtriderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice jiggin buddy tip up??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Looks cool.  I wonder how they are in the wind.   Wonder if wind would stop jigging action or even speed it up. I would like to see them in use.  Let us know how you like them.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 07:29 PM »
Looks cool.  I wonder how they are in the wind.   Wonder if wind would stop jigging action or even speed it up. I would like to see them in use.  Let us know how you like them.

It is the wind that makes them "jig"..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_Bw5zPLqY

Might work ok when it is nice (above freezing), When it gets down in the teens or lower..you will be busy keeping the hole free of ice..

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:04 PM »
It is the wind that makes them "jig"..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT_Bw5zPLqY

Might work ok when it is nice (above freezing), When it gets down in the teens or lower..you will be busy keeping the hole free of ice..

IDK, comes with a hole cover too :)

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:17 PM »
I got my tip up today... I'll have to spool line onto it and fish it, but actually seeing it first hand now I can definately say it is worth the $20 ... Very good construciton, well built :)

Offline hunter17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:24 PM »
You'll like that tip-up, just make sure you use a waterproof line since spool is out of water. I use the teflon coated on mine and works great.  Had alot of good luck with minnow and jig head. Hole covers are nice.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:30 AM »
I own 3 of them and they're my favorite tipups. My only real complaint with them is transporting them, they have an awkward shape. The flags are a little on the short/small side so you can miss a flag if you don't look carefully. And of course the line can freeze on the spool.

One really windy day late season (when they surface ice was melting so there was no snow to anchor them in) the wind was blowing my tipups from their holes, line, shiner and all. I had to take the vanes off and fold the legs, they reminded me of resting camels.

They work pretty well, and I decked them out with reflective tape, bells and lights for when I fish after dark.

People always stop to look at my tipups, they're hard not to stare at :D

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:41 AM »
Looks cool, Only thing I wouldn't like is the spool above the water. What happens when you get your first run?? Line gets wet. You spool it back up, it freezes. Then the next trip doesn't go no where because line is all froze up ??? Am I right???? Maybe something I am missing.
Gator Nation

Offline hunter17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2013, 09:24 AM »
If you buy a good waterproof line it will not freeze. Almost like using mono which doesn't freeze because it doesn't obsorb water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.