Author Topic: Packs of Northern?  (Read 4239 times)

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Packs of Northern?
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 11:22 PM »
Most people that I have talked to about this, all say the same thing...Pike are solitary hunters and do not travel together and hunt!! This has to be bull because I get way to many multiple tipups all the time minutes and seconds apart. Any body have knowledge of this issue?
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

grumpymoe

Re: Packs of Northern?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2004, 07:09 AM »
generally you will find that the smaller northerns do in fact concentrate more, but they do no school like walleye, perch, crappie and others.  you may get the odd straggler thats large, but its looking for the easy meal. large northerns are mostly solitary and more often than not, in slightly deeper waters looking for?? the easy meal. grumpy

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:10 AM »
Grumpymoe, I think that you might be right about more of the smaller northern travelling in groups.It seems like I catch them around the same weight range.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:23 AM »
its not so much that they travel in groups, but they are moving alot and foraging. the larger northerns are more territorial and keep the smaller fish at bay. grumpy

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:10 PM »
I agree with Moe that they infact don't school...But when you have the tip ups going it might be becasue well the pike have Gotten itno schools of Other fish around where you are..Then a frenzy occurs and Pike will pick up on that quickly they notice the action from aways away. ANyhow so they see one pike  going crazy gets them to do the same thing and strike out...I mean ive caught a pike only to have another one bigger then itself attack it bringing in 2 but losing the bigger at the boat. I Personally Never have seen them school and would suspect they are protective of their area and strike out when they sense something going on even if they are full. My analysis is like popcorn...My wife asks if i want any..I say no im full ..untill i see her eating it and enjoying it then i smell it..you got to have popcorn...(Germ the pike) In my hand goe's into the bowl...Same as pike..They see one eatign and freaking out and Bang...There's another One. I could seee why you would assume they school though...But to my best of knowlesge i would disagree. Tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:21 PM »
Yea, I think you are right. I know that they do not travel in schools per say. My theory was that they seem to feed in the same territory where large schools of fish inhabit and happen to run into one another. I guess my real question is whether pike are intelligent enough to realize that they could be more successful at working together to catch prey eg.drive baitfish than to be strictly territorial and drive each other off. Especially during the winter where less work is better for them. I am sure that come summer that they are very territorial. Seems somewhat logical doesnt it?

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2004, 01:16 PM »
yup!! going to have some popcorn..germ sure has a way of analysing fish!!! grumpymoe

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2004, 04:34 PM »
mostly blowing smoke. some truth to it but only when muskies are mating. you can often see them cruising in the shallows paired off. its actually quite interesting, as they seem to ignore whats around them. i guess people are like that at times too.  ;D  northerns don't pair off the same way. it's usually large females, and smaller males...............to be debunked???

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2004, 04:52 PM »
One of the best days of pike fishing my pike partner & I had lines out about 10' apart. His & mine were every other spot along a weedline / dropoff. In 25 minutes we had boated six pike 29" - 36". Those pike probably weren't schooled up but with the 8" bluegills we caught in the same spot that were being used for bait, the dinner bell was ringing! I will never believe that pike travel together but will congregate when it's dinner time. Not unlike sharks.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2004, 08:35 AM »
Well my best theory based with fact is if you ever get the chance to see Pike when not fishing walking along a water side lake side river side..When you see them they are never beside another fish (or another pike i mean) They do hang out where there is food...Which is why you will have them in the same areas as was mentioned. ANd back to what i have said regarding one attacking another when bringing it in..They see the panic in the fish and will hunt that fish as well. Iv'e had them also hit bass and perch  and sunnies when iv'e brought them in on a boat. There is a figure 8 method we also use for Pike or Muskie after one is brought in. Another guy with his Rod and lure will drop into the water just outside the boat and with his rod tipp just touching the water and a length of maybe 3-4 feet of line trace a big 8 in the water with your rod a few times to entice any Fellow following pike or muskie that have seen the action and got excited. Now Mind you this Method hasnt worked successfully all the time but if it works even once out of all the time you fish...Then isn't it worth the 2 mins it takes you to do it? Just my 2 cents. Tight lines! Also regarding Them being smart enough to pack hunt...I wouldnt think so...I caught one last year Ice fishing was struggling so much at the hole i wondered how my hook ever stayed in..When i got her out i noticed that she wasnt even hooked my minnow with hook was backwards and she wasnt even hooked at all...Just didnt have the sense to let go...LOL tight lines..Just food for thought for ya guys!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

iceman04

« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2004, 03:38 PM »
even if the pike are just chasing the bait fish around . . . they are sort of "schooling" aren't they?  i mean, do smelt school?  i think they do but i was told they feed on the daphnia in the water and when the daphnia are present you can be sure the smelt will be present . . . . is there any difference between the smelt and how they school towards the bait and how pike "school"??

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2004, 04:12 PM »
I will cast my vote for "packs" of pike.  From what I have seen, and read, Moe is correct in stating juvenile pike tend to gather in packs.  Larger pike tend to be "loners" and don't really care for the company of others except during the spawn.  I witnessed pike many times school-up especially in the summer.  I will share a perfect example that occured in one of our local lakes this past summer. 
The state had just stocked an estimated 8,000 8" grayling, (three days prior to our arrival) on a local lake that is gin clear and shallow at one end.  This shallow area was a perfect feeding area for the grayling and made for great viewing of what I'm about to describe.  My partner and I watched a small "12 pack" of 3-7 lb. pike, pin a small school of grayling against the shoreline.  They were working the grayling over like a pod of eager dolphins!  We were really amazed that these fish had enough smarts to perform such a task, but they were actually hunting in packs leaving us with confirmation to this discussion.  They would attack the grayling over and over, and ever time they attempted escape, the "wolves" on the outside would chase them back to the middle.  I could only imagine what was going through the the mind of these grayling!  They were probably thinking, "pease let it get dark! please let it get dark!"  Kinda tough when you have 24 hours of daylight eh.  Truely an awesome sight! :o  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2004, 06:42 PM »
 If the forage is there the pike will be there . The more concentrated the forage the more concentrated the pike . If a 20 -30 pound pike wants his meal to be 2 pound plus walleye guess where he will be .That two pound plus walleye will be feeding on say 4 inch bait . The big pike will wallop these walleye on the outer fringes .

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2004, 09:23 AM »
Ya i agree that Pike arw where Food is ...My own persoanl belief is that you came accross a circumstance that made it look like they were working together when all they were doing is thinking i wish these other pike would leave so i could eat more. Iv'e seen fingerling pike once inch long by themselves on more then once occasion while fly fishing in the spring..but never have i seen them in a pack like baby catfish they swim in a lil mob....ANyhow this would be a hard answer to debate based on all the facts you have would make it seem like they do and be hard to prove otherwise...But i guess this just comes down to belief to what we (personally) have witnessed. Iv'e never seen em "ROUND" up fish or keep them at bay with 11 other pike around. I believe the bigger ones are most deffinitly Lone fish that have better luck fishing by themselves but will come to a free buffet when givin the chance. Pike to me are act like Trapper does around free beer...If its there you will find him there...LOL TIght lines!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Free Beer?
Be careful about giving Trapper all of the credit for that! This forum is loaded with people that fish. It has been recently discovered that there are "packs" of people that fish that will be known to congregate where there is free beer. As a matter of fact, major traffic jams have been caused by a lot less than that.
(Free Beer?)
Think of the number of wars that could have been avoided if we only had free beer. Wait a minute, maybe that is what we have'nt thought of on the days that fish are slow to bite ... instead of a different bait maybe we should offer the fish free beer. How could they turn that down? Of course, have to admit, I would have a tough time offering a fish a free beer instead of drinking it myself!
What a concept ... Free Beer!  ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2004, 04:24 PM »
 LMAO Lobes . Just have to disagree with you on one point . I think wars have been started over beer because some guy always have to hoard theres and be miserly when the rest of us run out . >:(

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2004, 07:35 PM »
Here! Here!
I humble myself to the great Gods of beer!
 :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.