Author Topic: high mountain ice fishing/ chambers  (Read 4911 times)

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
high mountain ice fishing/ chambers
« on: Apr 06, 2020, 12:10 PM »
Hi guys, I'm looking for information on lakes with ice still in Colorado. So far been looking at maybe going to chambers, but I've never been there and don't know anything about it. At this time of year can I get through with an auger that will have 40 inches of clearance? I'm assuming the ice is still probably good up there? If anybody has any info on wants to pm me I would really appreciate it. Always willing to exchange info on stuff I know

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: high mountain ice fishing/ chambers
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2020, 07:46 PM »
Chambers probably has thick ice but it’s a long hike in to the lake and the deepest part of the lake is on far end of lake probably a lot of snow up there still

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2020, 03:47 PM »
the northwest colorado lakes above 7k ft still have ice,

better hurry though, its going fast.

PM for specifics

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2020, 06:25 PM »
With all due respect, ANY high country or backcountry travel at this time of the year is not only dangerous, but irresponsible as well. With the unstable snow pack, avalanche issues, and other factors that contribute to an unsafe environment, you should call it for this season, instead of jeopardizing your personal wellbeing. But what do I know?
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2020, 06:40 PM »
I don't know anything about the area that's why I'm asking. Is the area in chambers susceptible to avalanches? Wouldn't they close the road up there if it was? It is only 40 miles from me which is within what they recommend right now. Late ice I could care less I know how to stay safe. i always wear my striker suit and Ice picks. Is it not true that people fish up there till may usually? That's what I've heard but again I don't know anything about the Lake

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2020, 07:08 PM »
Not sure what avalanches have to do with hiking up a snowed in road off hwy 14 to get to the lake.  Id see no reason not to.  We're talking about fishing not skiing?
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline jamiehughes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • open water sucks!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2020, 09:26 AM »
pretty sure getting into chambers isn't a life and death issue..it may definitely be a slush issue tho..that lake is bad for slush anyways especially late in the season when it warms up..

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2020, 03:44 PM »
With all due respect, ANY high country or backcountry travel at this time of the year is not only dangerous, but irresponsible as well. With the unstable snow pack, avalanche issues, and other factors that contribute to an unsafe environment, you should call it for this season, instead of jeopardizing your personal wellbeing. But what do I know?

the thickest lake here still has 2-3 feet of ice, minimal if ANY slush, and the roads to it are rock solid (dry as a bone)

its at 8100 feet.

There are some other lakes way up in thee mountains that are un-accessable by non-tracked vehicles. you WOULD be crazy to attempt those (like you said avalanches, or the whole snowback sliding you off the road)

But at least 2 large lakes in my area are 100% safe to access and fish (well one is 100% safe to fish, the other- take your chances lol)

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2020, 04:06 PM »
WesternSlope,
Thanks for the input and clarification. I was only trying to point out some of the issues one might encounter during backcountry travel at this time of the year, and avalanches were just one of them. It wasn’t meant to be specific to Chambers, although it appeared to be taken that way. My fault, and I apologize for that. Thanks again WesternSlope!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Hi guys, I'm looking for information on lakes with ice still in Colorado. So far been looking at maybe going to chambers, but I've never been there and don't know anything about it. At this time of year can I get through with an auger that will have 40 inches of clearance? I'm assuming the ice is still probably good up there? If anybody has any info on wants to pm me I would really appreciate it. Always willing to exchange info on stuff I know

Chambers is fun, but it is sometimes quite a bit of work to get on the water. I have not fished it in years, but I imagine it fishes similar to how it did a decade ago. If you go up higher to Joe Wright you might need an auger extension. My advice if you go to Chambers is start shallower than you would in other lakes for the lakers. They move around and chase the bows. Lots of dink lakers in there, but there are some true giants. In fact last year the biggest fish submitted to the the MA program was a 42 3/4" Laker from there.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2020, 10:12 PM »
Dude, Chambers is fine for ice.    Its prolly 3 ft thick. Jig gold 1/4 oz. kstys for whatever.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2020, 05:46 PM »
WesternSlope,
Thanks for the input and clarification. I was only trying to point out some of the issues one might encounter during backcountry travel at this time of the year, and avalanches were just one of them. It wasn’t meant to be specific to Chambers, although it appeared to be taken that way. My fault, and I apologize for that. Thanks again WesternSlope!

this is probably the last weekend of decent ice in NW colorado.

I'm to busy fishing the spawn in my river though... 25+ inch fish to find. !!

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2020, 01:48 PM »
Well did you go waterlike? Dammit some of us are living vicariously though these fishing reports.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Apr 24, 2020, 10:59 PM »
Well did you go waterlike? Dammit some of us are living vicariously though these fishing reports.

:) Ok, here you go. I went today for the first time. Never been there before. I finally got us Smitty sled that my buddy was nice enough to build for me, I knew I needed one from what I heard. I definitely wouldn't have made it without a Smitty sled walking and pulling my gear. Still a lot of ice but it's hard to tell how good it is because of the slush while you're drilling. It was a nice day to be out. Fishing the high altitude stuff is funny, it's like fishing the normal altitude stuff in Wyoming :-) it was completely sunny and hot, 10 minutes later snow and fog and you could barely see, followed by complete sun again, followed by hail mixed with snow. And it kept rinsing and repeating. Great day to be out. It's all kinds of fish on my flasher, maybe even some big ones but couldn't get any big ones to bite. Caught a few. Fun day

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Apr 25, 2020, 08:05 PM »
Good job getting with it!  But you are a sick sick man-- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline troutbiscuits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Thanks for the report  ;D! Glad you got into some!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.