Author Topic: The River is Cold but the Browns are HOT (Round 2 3/31 MORE PICS)  (Read 3797 times)

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thought id post this here since MyFishFinder CO is ghost town.  Fished the Colorado today between State Bridge and Pumphouse, ripping rapala x jerk baits.  Was pleasantly surprised how willing the Browns were, landed half a dozen in a couple hours and had just as many roll out after being hooked.  All between 15 and 18".  Small twitches or big rips, they wanted it all.  After exclusively wind whipping for 20 years, ive learned jerk baits and a spinning rod are the way to go for big browns.  Maybe a few more weeks til runoff blows it out, if you live near the river nows the time!

Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The River is Cold but the Browns are HOT (non ice)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2020, 07:55 PM »
Nice, sounds like a great day.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Nice, sounds like a great day.

And to top it all off I did not lose a single jerk bait to the river, DOUBLE SCORE!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Hell yeah Tim, good stuff. Sweeet-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2020, 08:06 PM »
Hell yeah Tim, good stuff. Sweeet-

My fish whistle called them in from all over today ;D they never stood a chance

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:41 AM »
And to top it all off I did not lose a single jerk bait to the river, DOUBLE SCORE!
Nice browns! I'm even more impressed you didn't lose a jerkbait! Congrats haha
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Nice browns! I'm even more impressed you didn't lose a jerkbait! Congrats haha

With the caveat that I did have my waders on and had to go out waist deep 3 times to grab my bait off bottom snags.  Those x-raps are too expensive to just break off on a snag if I can wade out to it.  crap ill take a swim to save a $10 jerkbait ;D

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:28 AM »
My worst day losing lures there was 13 CD 9 by lunch $130 bucks
Had both my boys with me and my oldest was losing a lure every five minutes lol to bottom snags
Fishing was great that day using jerk-baits but he had to finish the day with a gold Kasty . He also lost pair of pliers and busted the tip on a rod. I’ ve always told him he has a future testing products for Consumer Reviews

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2020, 10:39 AM »

Having chest pains just reading that.  Basically if I lose 3 Ill just go home, gotta know when to fold em (RIP Kenny)

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2020, 10:53 AM »
Went down to the river again yesterday, they were biting great, but not staying on very long.  Bet I lost or missed a dozen fish.  Did manage to land half a dozen though, very fiesty browns.  Trying again today, might try increasing my pause time for better hook ups.

Offline Crazy Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2020, 01:25 PM »
Having chest pains just reading that.  Basically if I lose 3 Ill just go home, gotta know when to fold em (RIP Kenny)

Fold em nah I have a lot of Rapalas
Junior was eventually cut off lol

Offline WesternSlopeFlyNIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Had both my boys with me and my oldest was losing a lure every five minutes lol to bottom snags
Fishing was great that day using jerk-baits but he had to finish the day with a gold Kasty . He also lost pair of pliers and busted the tip on a rod. I’ ve always told him he has a future testing products for Consumer Reviews

This type of experience is exactly why I got into fly fishing.

Way less snags, way more control in a river!

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thought id post this here since MyFishFinder CO is ghost town.  Fished the Colorado today between State Bridge and Pumphouse, ripping rapala x jerk baits.  Was pleasantly surprised how willing the Browns were, landed half a dozen in a couple hours and had just as many roll out after being hooked.  All between 15 and 18".  Small twitches or big rips, they wanted it all.  After exclusively wind whipping for 20 years, ive learned jerk baits and a spinning rod are the way to go for big browns.  Maybe a few more weeks til runoff blows it out, if you live near the river nows the time!

Awesome stuff! Sounds like a good time out there. Browns out of the river are a blast!! I'm NOT sponsored by them in anyway but have you tried the Dynamic Lures out there on the rivers?

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
Awesome stuff! Sounds like a good time out there. Browns out of the river are a blast!! I'm NOT sponsored by them in anyway but have you tried the Dynamic Lures out there on the rivers?

I have not tried dynamics, rapala xraps have been very good to me.  Ive seen from your videos that dynamics work pretty well and are certainly more affordable so I am gonna pick a few up sometime.  Think my spring river fishing will be ending quickly though, a lot of runoff water coming into the system currently.  Am gonna head down for the evening bite today, we'll see how it goes, looks like the piney has come up a foot last 5 days.

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Very nice

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beutiful fish
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.