The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton area trip  (Read 603 times)

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Houghton area trip
« on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Hello,
I know houghton gets pounded pretty hard. Me and some buddies are making a drive north the 27th and 28th. Temps up that way look good in the extended. We were thinking about staying out on the night in a "sleeper" shanty from lymans on the lake. Mostly prob drinking beer and a power nap if needed. Anyone have any success overnights with this service or in general on houghton? During the day we might branch out and hit up smaller lakes within short drive distance. If anyone has any input on smaller bodies of water near there that they would share I would be appreciative. Haven't walked on water this season in indiana and just looking for a little fun with the crew. Thanks if you provide any pointers in the right direction.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Houghton area trip
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:41 AM »
Hey fellow hoosier hardwater nut!  Don't hit Houghton too hard, me and some buddies are headed there right after you on the 30th!  We've gone up there last couple of years but have always VRBO'd it instead of the sleeper shack. I don't know for fact but have heard the sleeper shacks are a bit primitive...  anyway, our beer to fish ratio sometimes gets a bit high also!  ;D :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish:  Tight lines and have fun!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:55 AM »
The way I have heard the sleeper shanties described were a plywood box with a heater and plywood beds. Just so you know Tip Up town in in that general time frame. I think it is the last 2 weekends in Jan. Any open spots should be found on those 2 weekends

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:15 AM »
The way I have heard the sleeper shanties described were a plywood box with a heater and plywood beds. Just so you know Tip Up town in in that general time frame. I think it is the last 2 weekends in Jan. Any open spots should be found on those 2 weekends
Thanks.  Not sure if I want to deal with that many people
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Pretty sure they do sleepers on burt as well... Should be less crowds and better fishing
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline steak91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 11:40 AM »
I always stay at a rental house or cottage when I fish Houghton.

I've not stayed in Lymans sleeper shanties but they basically pull them out behind the bait shop and there you go.  I think you can expect to catch a bunch of hammer handle pike and not much else. 

Houghton is a fun lake to fish but you need to have the ability to drive on your own and have a gps and lake maps.  Walking on Houghton is not much of an option due to the size of it.

If you have a wheeler or sled, go to Houghton but plan to move around.  If you are on foot my advice would be to go to a smaller lake.

I have fished it quite a bit over the years if you have questions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.