The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Saginaw bay/river  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Saginaw bay/river
« on: Jan 04, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Not looking good for the bay this season.... Been a long time since ive missed out on bay perch.... Hopefully we Can get a nasty cold snap soon
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Saginaw bay/river
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:13 PM »
I am hoping for the same.

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Ya the river is wide open. Even in the 10 day outlook the temps aren't getting down to where they need to be to lock it up. Weirdest start to winter I've seen in a while.
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline wormdunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2019, 06:30 PM »
I went to Franks today there was at least a dozen boats in front of those sand piles by the Zee bridge
Retired Great Lakes Charter Captain now want to learn Ice Fishing

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2019, 06:43 AM »
Hey guys, question for those with eyes on the bay daily. I've heard some rumblings there's people in the shallows fishing, perch I'm assuming. With our worthless gov I can't really get any verification as I normally would... https://governmentshutdown.noaa.gov/?region=h&page=1

I did find this map that claims there's some ice, and someone on a different website posted a picture  of some shanties claiming it was taken yesterday. Can anyone confirm?
https://www.weather.gov/cle/GreatLakesIce_Analysis
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:07 PM »
Quote from DNR fishing report from today 1/9/19:

Saginaw Bay: On the west side, there was a little ice fishing on shore ice in two feet of water or less at White’s Beach and in the small bay at Pinconning, but success was minimal. There were no anglers south of Pinconning. A few boats were fishing out from the Saginaw River, mainly around Spoils Island where they caught a couple walleye when trolling or vertical jigging with jigs tipped with minnows. Most were bringing in about three fish per trip. Not much going on up the east side from Fish Point to Bay Port. Ice conditions were pretty sketchy. A few were venturing out between Sebewaing and Bay Port, but they only caught a few bluegills, the odd crappie or pike.

Saginaw River: The action was slow. There were not a lot of boats out, and catches were dominated by undersize fish. The walleye action in Bay City and down to the mouth was also slow.

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:26 PM »
Thanks, I thought the weekly reports were posted on Thursdays...
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:19 PM »
Thanks, I thought the weekly reports were posted on Thursdays...

They are but for whatever reason I received the email today for the Jan 10 report

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.