The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Pilgrimage North...  (Read 476 times)

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pilgrimage North...
« on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:21 PM »
Welp, I'll be joining the hoards of sotherners journeying north to get back on the ice. There's still some half frozen lakes where I am but looks like they'll be completely open by next weekend :(

So we were/are planning on going to lake margrethe and in doing a little research found that they also have pfos/pfas prevelent in all the fish fillets tested in a recent survey. However the levels must not be too high because they did not tell people not to eat the fish, just to keep servings to a set limit. I was hoping to put some fish in the freezer but now I'm considering going to st Helen or Maybe somewhere else in search of cleaner fish, but I did see a sled went through on St Helen today.

So the real point of this rambling I guess is to get opinions from some guys that fish up that way. I really want to get into some walleye but bluegill and crappie are delicious too. Does St Helen have a fishable population of walleye? Or more of a every once and a while you catch one population? Also it appears y'all up that way got some decent snow, how much is on the lakes? I threw together a quick Smitty sled and we'll be walking so I'm just trying to mentally prepare ;D (I've done 10 mile days on Erie on foot so it's not too concerning)

Thanks guys and good luck to everyone in their travles
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pilgrimage North...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Lake st helen has great fishing but has an issue with gruns in the meat of the fish... At least in my experience and a few others i have spoke with.... The pfas thing i dont know much about... I have done reading on it a little. But not too much as of now....
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.