The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mecosta area  (Read 2066 times)

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
Mecosta area
« on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Can anyone provide info on the Mecosta area ice?  Reports seem to be hit or miss around the central part of the state and we will be coming from Indiana.  With deer season coming to a close I am switching gears and need somewhere to go to take care of this "itch."  Any info would help.  Thanks to all and be safe out there.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mecosta area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:07 PM »
Never ice fished it but haymarsh has some killer panfish in the spring
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:28 AM »
I've been fishing lake Mecosta for a few weeks now .  Ice two nights ago ranged from 4 to 7 inches .    Chippewa lake has been fished a lot as well .

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:26 AM »
Mecosta is limited to bay is what I heard??

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:59 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I plan on making the run to that area on Saturday for the day.  It's about a 3 hour drive. Hopefully it will work out in our favor with some nice panfish.  Any other details would be much appreciated.

Be safe and tight lines!

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2019, 06:17 AM »
        I've only fished the bay since its easy access from the boat launch .  It's making ice everyday with only a half inch of snow on the ice and freezing temps .   Anyone know if fishing is allowed on lake of the clouds in Mecosta ?    Online it says private lake but I see that they have a public launch area .

Offline Aataxidermy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:42 AM »
Lake of the clouds is part of Canadian lakes association and private.

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2019, 02:07 PM »
heading up to the area tomorrow.  I will post any results and conditions.

be safe and tight lines. :tipup:

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2019, 10:00 AM »
spent the late morning and all afternoon on the Martiny State Game area chain of lakes, Lower Evans to be exact.  Saw guys on Pretty and Chippewa also.  We wanted to fish School Section but couldn't find the public access.  Anyway, it was a beautiful day to be on the ice.  4 inches of solid ice, easy walking to our spot.  drilled a bunch of holes and caught a bunch of fish. Unfortunately, they were all 4-5 inch perch lol.  Talked to a few guys that were experiencing the same results. The perch population should be strong for years to come on those lakes.  Still had a great time and was worth the 3 hour drive.  We will be back.
Be careful and tight lines!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2019, 02:38 PM »
As I mentioned in another post, plenty of ice...and snow...north of the 45th parallel including Mitchell and Cadillac.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:55 PM »
spent the late morning and all afternoon on the Martiny State Game area chain of lakes, Lower Evans to be exact.  Saw guys on Pretty and Chippewa also.  We wanted to fish School Section but couldn't find the public access.  Anyway, it was a beautiful day to be on the ice.  4 inches of solid ice, easy walking to our spot.  drilled a bunch of holes and caught a bunch of fish. Unfortunately, they were all 4-5 inch perch lol.  Talked to a few guys that were experiencing the same results. The perch population should be strong for years to come on those lakes.  Still had a great time and was worth the 3 hour drive.  We will be back.
Be careful and tight lines!

Pretty much the exact same over on Bergess Lake with the perch - a few keepers but tons of dinks.  Solid 4" ice there, too.

Offline papermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "crappies on ice thats nice"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:23 AM »
We wanted to fish School Section but couldn't find the public access
I could be wrong but I believe it is a private lake!!!

Offline swidnica

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:27 AM »
  I believe school section lake is a private lake also .   I fished lake Mecosta on Sunday and kept 8 perch ranging from 7 to 9 inches , caught one nice bluegill all on minnows . 

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:44 AM »
I believe you two are correct on School Section.  The map book said access on East side but I believe it is referring to the campground.  I drove around the entire lake to make sure before moving on.  Minnows worked well for me also on the bigger perch, 6 inchers lol.
Thanks everyone!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2019, 11:04 AM »
Tip of the day regarding those perch we've all been seeing... I started getting a better class size (8-10") when I switched to a small Swedish Pimple.  Seemed like monsters after the multitudes of 3-6" I was pulling up using jigs and hali's.

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2019, 01:41 PM »
I have some of those in the box.  Still tipping with a minnow? My buddy seemed to do better with spikes over anything else we were throwing at them.  Waxies worked for me.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:37 PM »
I have some of those in the box.  Still tipping with a minnow? My buddy seemed to do better with spikes over anything else we were throwing at them.  Waxies worked for me.

First few hit it naked, but was slow.  I tipped it with a perch eye to see if that would pick up the bite, and it did, but some more dinks in the mix.  Red Ice was the hot color in the stained water.  Good luck!

Offline BenR73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:00 PM »
How about the ice condition in the lakes in the Pierson and/or Howard City area?  I was thinking about making another run up on Saturday but to a different area of lakes?  For no other reason than I am exploring new territories and just enjoy being out there. Plan to fish afternoon until after dark.  Any feedback or recommendations are appreciated.  Thanks to all  :icefish:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:48 AM »
bump
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline papermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2019, 01:14 PM »
My son fished over the weekend and with this cold front the lakes in the area should be making ice!!!

Offline papermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Any snow reports from the area?

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Any snow reports from the area?

4"-5" and not much wind here in northwest Mecosta.  Smitty sleds will earn their keep I'm thinking...

Offline papermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Awesome,perfect amount nothing worse than snow less ice!!! Hard to use your auger or walk and I hate ice cleats!!! Thanks for the update.   

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Forecast this morning was chances of snow everyday through the next 8, some days the forecast was for heavy amounts.  It looks like we may have some lake affect coming the next week or so.  Time to get the snowmobile out and hooked up to the shanty.

Offline papermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:34 AM »
According to the 10 day forecast we will be making tons of ice also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.