The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Cadillac and Mitchel  (Read 1766 times)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
Cadillac and Mitchel
« on: Dec 30, 2018, 05:55 PM »
Here are my memories of my trip to Michigan to ice fish. Thought it might help someone who can't wait on Indiana Ice! Feel free to message me with you want more details! LOL.

Ice Fishing Trip to Lake Cadillac
Dec. 25-27, 2018

Schedule for my trip:
Dec. 26th
8:15am-11:30 Drive north on 94/196/131/55
11:30-11:40 Subway for lunch and took it on the ice with me
11:30-12:30 Arrive at Pilgrim’s Village Bait Shop and Resort https://www.pilgrimvillagefishing.com/
12:30-4:30 Fished on Cadillac near the road on 55
4:30-5:30 Eat Dinner at Bear Grille-Burger
Dec. 27th
6:30-7:30am Breakfast at McD
7:30am-11:30 Fished on Lake Mitchel near “little cove”
11:30-12:30 Lunch at Burger King
12:30-4:30 Fished  back on Lake Cadillac near the road again and then shifted over by the State Park
4:30-5:30 Ate Dinner at Bear Grille-Ribs!
Dec. 28th
6:30-7:30 Breakfast at McD
7:30-10:30 Fished on Lake Cadillac off the State Park area
10:30-2:30 Drove home stopped at Burger King for lunch

What I spent:
69/night at the Motel room at Pylgrim Village
10/day for fishing license
10/day for tackle and bait
50 for gas, paid for by gift cards
100-Meal expenses
About 350

Memories:
Dec. 26th
8:15am-11:30 Drive north on 94/196/131/55
11:30-11:40 Subway for lunch and took it on the ice with me
11:30-12:30 Arrive at Pilgrim’s Village Bait Shop and Resort
The Baitshop is very nice and busy. I was waited on by a young kid who was helpful and told me about some places to access the lake and where to find bass.
12:30-4:30 Fished on Cadillac near the road on 55
I got on next to the closed “Marina” restaurant and it was easy access. A father and some kids were coming off when I was going on. He showed me a big bucket of fish that included a nice walleye 28” and some pike. I thought, wow, I’ve found the spot. I spent the afternoon on that spot and caught nothing!! Ice was good about 7 inches of clear ice.
4:30-5:30 Eat Dinner at Bear Grille-Burger
Dec. 27th
6:30-7:30am Breakfast at McD
7:30am-11:30 Fished on Lake Mitchel near “little cove”
I decide to try another place and got direction to the boat ramp on Lake Mitchell. Fished near a pack of other guys. The wind had come up and I took my flipover shanty. Put some tip ups out and jigged. I caught a couple very small gills and no flags.
11:30-12:30 Lunch at Burger King
12:30-4:30 Fished  back on Lake Cadillac near the road again and then shifted over by the State Park
I decided to go back to the place on Cadillac and started at the first spot but then moved down in front of the dock that the kid at the bait shop had told me about. I ended up getting 3 real flags. Missed the first two but caught a pike about 24 inches for the final flag. There was a group of guys that came out and fished in that area off the State Park. Turns out they were staying in a couple cabins. One guy talked to me and told me that the cabin comes with a boat in the summer and has two rooms with bunk beds. Fire pit. It would be a nice place to rent.
4:30-5:30 Ate Dinner at Bear Grille-Ribs!
Dec. 28th.
6:30-7:30 Breakfast at McD
7:30-10:30 Fished on Lake Cadillac off the State Park area
I decided to go back and fish off the State Park area. It had rained all night and the ice was slick and had melted some. Very clear. Needed my ice cleats for sure. I sat up near the bank and then continued to move them every 30 minutes. Ended up back in the area where I had fished the night before  At one point the sun tried to come out and it was beautiful with the reflection of the Pine Trees and ducks.  No flags, time to go home. It was a fun get away. Felt like more of a fishing community with the Bait shop and other fishermen and several access points.
10:30-2:30 Drove home stopped at Burger King for lunch

Offline Icechuck

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cadillac and Mitchel
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Three of us are heading up Thursday, going for a 3 day .   5 1/2 hour trip .  Thanks for the post

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Awesome you got out... Sucks you did t get on em good but i guess thats fishing.... Cadillac and mitchell treat me real good sometimes and terrible others... 
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Jaybes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I was there one of the same days as you. Caught 20 of the dinkiest perch you ever saw by the gravel on Mitchell. Bite was slow but still better than Houghton.

Tough to tell from your post, but do you like Burger King?  ;D

Glad you had a fun trip!

Offline Hungrysportsman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:25 PM »
Nice you were able to get out!

I'm going up with a group of 10 guys at the end of the month. We are staying in between the lakes. There should be enough ice for quads by then.
None of us have ever fished those lakes before. We've been taking an annual trip for 7 years now going to a different lake in MI every year. We are hoping to finally get into some fish.
If anyone feels up to giving me some tips I would greatly appreciate them!  I never know what lures to take to bigger inland lakes (I'm a lake Huron guy)
Be safe out there!
Stay hungry! Like my page on Facebook! Help me grow better so I can help others grow better!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Golden shiners on a small red treble 18" off bottom.... Flouro leader.... Hard for walleye to pass that on any lake

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I’m enjoying all the posts on Facebook from these lakes now that I’ve been there. Thinking about going back up this winter and also renting a place this summer. Anybody got any suggestions on a good  rental?

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Pilgrims village has house rentals and boat rentals that are dirt cheap... Me n the wife rented a house with 2 bedrooms for like 120 a night... Smaller cottages are even cheaper but they were full

Offline BudIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 08:13 PM »
Hey Guys, thinking of making a return trip to Cadillac in coming weeks. It's been a few years. Checked P.V. Website, Ice looks good to date. Any reports of one lake being better than the other? Idk about numbers or size, just looking to catch and have fun. Keepers are a bonus but not necessary for me. Just looking for some ice to walk on and catch a few. Thanks and enjoy the ice!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:46 PM »
Me personally i choose mitchell to be a little better for pannies but that may just be because i had bad spots on Cadillac although i caught walleye on Cadillac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.