Author Topic: New guy with a question  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
New guy with a question
« on: Dec 01, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Probably a stupid one. Reading the regs, they say that all line devices have to have the user's name and address on them; how are you all tagging your jigging rods? I hate to scrawl my name and address across the nice cork handles. Some sort of card taped around the handles? Some sort of tag like a little luggage tag? Looking for ideas. It was easy to write it out on tip ups, but I'm going to stick with jigging this year. Suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New guy with a question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Never thought about it before.  ??? I suppose by the letter of the regulation a rod should be marked, but I think the intent is to mark devices not under the control of the angler. If there are more than six, or they are left unattended the warden needs to be able to identify the angler. Hard to believe a rod in hand would be treated the same way since it's pretty clear who the angler is. Guess I'll find out some day.  :P  I use trapping tags on the tipups, a guy named Larry Finch makes them at a very reasonable cost.

Offline metalfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2018, 07:55 PM »
None of my jigging rods have my name on them  ::)

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Hmm, looks like I should double check my jigging rods. I know I did have my name and address on all of them at some point but I got a new rod or two since then.

I usually put my info on an index card and use clear packing tape to strap it on. I did use a luggage card covered in tape with my info on rod holders, though I hardly ever use those holders anymore.

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2018, 09:20 PM »
I just tape those return address labels to everything. Easy to do and they don't get in the way.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2018, 11:50 AM »
Never thought about it before.  ??? I suppose by the letter of the regulation a rod should be marked, but I think the intent is to mark devices not under the control of the angler. If there are more than six, or they are left unattended the warden needs to be able to identify the angler. Hard to believe a rod in hand would be treated the same way since it's pretty clear who the angler is. Guess I'll find out some day.  :P  I use trapping tags on the tipups, a guy named Larry Finch makes them at a very reasonable cost.

I agree with Eiderz on this one.

A jigging rod that you're holding is obviously one of your 6 lines. Conservation officers are checking your tip-ups for ID's.

Been checked plenty of times myself. Seems like the wording on the rule could use some tweaking.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:45 PM »
quote from the Anglers Guide "The name and address of the user must be
legibly stamped on or attached to all devices." I see no confusion.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2018, 01:33 PM »
quote from the Anglers Guide "The name and address of the user must be
legibly stamped on or attached to all devices." I see no confusion.

That's fine....I don't think anyone's confused.

I guess I.D.-ing a jigging rod would help if you lost it.  ;D

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2018, 04:31 PM »
The return address labels seem to be the best solution; easily replaced if damaged or rubbed out during use. I'll probably cover it with a layer of shrink wrap to help waterproof it.
Thank you for the ideas.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2018, 07:55 PM »
Never been checked for rods, only traps.

Not sure if I'm gonna bother with rods.

No good way to write or tape something. Handle isn't waterproof to hold something taped or wrapped.

I'm not jigging with a name tag dangling either.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2018, 08:40 PM »
Duct tape around trap, stick to itself, write on it with ink pen will not come off

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2018, 06:19 AM »
If its in your hand I really wouldn't sweat it. If it's in a jaw jacker or some other holder I would mark the holder.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2018, 09:46 AM »
Must run in the family...I do the same as my Bro, a return address label on all my tip-ups. I've never marked my jigging rods but not a bad idea for ID if lost.
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline Poco+loco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2018, 01:33 PM »
Use return address labels plus  seal them with clear packing tape on top to make it waterproof.

Offline BDailey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Great idea Poco+Loco. Mine need updating, thanks for the idea. 👍🏻
“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
“A spudbar is your best friend.”

Offline salttofresh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Second year ice fishing for me and this may be a silly question but I have a buddy coming up to visit this weekend. Does he need to have his name on my extra tip ups that he is tending? Or is my name sufficent enough even if it is on 7 Tip ups

Offline Redgar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:16 PM »
That's a good question.  I don't definitively know that official answer to that but looking at it from a legal standpoint it would make sense to me that if Encon were to approach you to verify your devices they would probably look to see that all of your devices were tagged with your information, and that your friend was properly licensed to fish in CT if you are exceeding 6 lines(also make sure if he is visiting and you are fishing a lake that requires the T&S Stamp/you are fishing for/intending to keep Trout or Salmon that he has one).  As long as you are both licensed and your gear is tagged I'd imagine there'd be no issues.   After all, conservation officers generally are sportsmen as well.

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2019, 05:38 AM »
I know one officer that would be thrilled to write you a ticket for not having your rod labeled. Officer .......
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:05 AM »
I better get with it, I don't have my name on tip ups and never have in the past 40 years.   Ed

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:46 AM »
Well, here's my answer if the question about marking jigging rods is raised. The definition in the Anglers Guide (Abstract) is not the legal regulation. Note that they warn you of this in the Anglers Guide.

Page 2, 2018 Anglers Guide:
 This Guide is intended to provide a summary of the more important rules and regulations governing
sport fishing in Connecticut and to assist in the enjoyment of the angling experience. For legal purposes,
the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies and the Connecticut General Statutes must be consulted.

The General Statutes (CGS) and the Regulations of State Agencies (RSA) are the controlling laws/regulations. In other words, you can be pinched for violating a regulation in the RSA which DEEP didn't include in the Abstract, conversely if you are ticked for something the Abstract suggested is more broadly applicable than the RSA definition it is likely the court would toss it. I'm not suggesting looking for a battle, the easy way out is to mark the rod.

So, I searched the RSA for the controlling definition:

Sec. 26-112-43. Definitions and restrictions

(u) "Ice fishing" means fishing through the ice with tip-ups, bobbers or floats, similar devices or hand-held jigs. The following restrictions shall apply to ice fishing:

(1) An individual may use, at one time, tip-ups, bobbers or floats, similar devices or hand-held jigs in any combination thereof, not exceeding six in the aggregate.

(2) Each line shall be restricted to not more than three baited hooks, with or without attractors, or three ice flies or three artificial lures or any combination thereof, not exceeding three in the aggregate.

(3) All tip-ups, bobbers or floats or similar devices shall have the name and address of the person using the same legibly printed thereon or attached thereto.

(4) No tip-ups, bobbers or floats or similar devices shall be used unless they are personally attended.

For future reference here's the link: https://eregulations.ct.gov/eRegsPortal/Browse/RCSA?id=Title%2026|26-112|26-112-43|26-112-43

I see no mention of jigging rods. I don't suggest arguing with the warden other than showing him the link and let him read it for himself. Many times they fall into the same trap we do, they depend on the Abstract. This approach has worked for me on other issues, they are usually happy to see the correct regulation. If you get a ticket anyway, well, hard luck and call your lawyer.

Offline MJD3561

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2019, 01:46 PM »
For my tip-ups I just write my info right on my flags with a fine tip sharpie marker.

I have loaned extra tip-ups to my friends on occasion, never been hassled by ECON.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2019, 05:02 PM »
So who puts there name and address on their bobbers and floats?
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.