Author Topic: crappie water  (Read 789 times)

Offline onepin

• IceShanty Rookie
crappie water
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:00 PM »
So if you wanted to get in some good crappies where would you hit. Ive been to Bantam, Mt Tom, Scoville, West side, West Hill and no real luck. would love to jig up a few to cook on the ice with my kids. Any help without giving your honey hole would be great. Thx Rick

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: crappie water
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2018, 04:48 PM »
Highland has a bunch but they can be difficult to find.  I've spent a few nights out there chasing them.  Scoville has a nice population of them but not sure if there's a consumption advisory.  In surprised you couldn't get them at scoville...there's a ton in there. West hill would be my last choice to search for them. 

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2018, 06:14 AM »
If the ice God's got us with good ice this year I've always had my best luck with crappie on the river coves
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Ryan you're right.  I didnt suggest the river because he mentioned they want to eat some.  I'm sure meal or two wouldn't kill anyone but personally I dont eat fish from the CTR. 

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2018, 12:46 PM »
I've eaten a good amount from there. Definitely can't taste a difference. The river has come a long way but I certainly wouldn't want that to be all I ate
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2018, 01:25 PM »
Agreed; I've had my best luck with Crappie out of "The Cove" and actually cooked them on the ice like you're thinking.
Eating stuff out of the cove?...its all about moderation. Wouldn't do it often but once or twice a year, sure.

I just can't wait to get out there!!!!
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 01:05 PM »
They go deep in lakes look for basins or you find the right places that are shallow and they can't hide

Offline Patb41982

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:04 PM »
 :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.