Author Topic: Derby - River Ice  (Read 2214 times)

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
Derby - River Ice
« on: Nov 20, 2018, 10:39 AM »
I have been planning on fishing the river the last few years but never made it over there to do so. Where do most of you access the river?

Offline GingerBeardRyan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Derby - River Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:22 PM »
O’sullivans island, under rt8 bridge in derby/Shelton that cove is always fun to fish. I’ve seen stripers, salmon and everything in between come through there. Shoot me a pm I could always use some more ice fishing buddies!

P.s it does typically take a little longer to lock up with safe ice due to the tides/ brackish water

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Thanks for the invite. Always looking for people to go out with.

Are most people fishing the cover here or under the actual bridge?

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Def not under the bridge, it’s pretty swift and shallow there at the boat launch.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:17 PM »
afternoon everybody...that cove is tricky ...always gotta plank on and off....takes some good cold to lock it up .tide change is like 5 feet so always breaking up edges..be safe

Offline fishndog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Well said te-pe! Go with someone,be safe, and Tight Lines!!!
Enjoy, Be Smart, and Tight Lines!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2018, 04:54 PM »
afternoon everybody...that cove is tricky ...always gotta plank on and off....takes some good cold to lock it up .tide change is like 5 feet so always breaking up edges..be safe

Let's not forget the minus tides too.

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2018, 05:52 PM »
that cove is tricky ...always gotta plank on and off

Yes you do! I went to fish one day and some guys were trapped as the tide came in. They had never fished there before and just walked on at low tide... never knew about the tide. Tried to leave and there was about 8ft of open water! ;D

I got a good laugh and put the plank out for them. The place can be fun for sure...especially if you love to jig
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2018, 04:33 AM »
Thanks guys. That’s what the guy at TC marine was telling me a few years back, just never took the ride over.

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Has anyone been in this area? Not sure if the next 2 days may mess us up a bit.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:55 AM »
Whatever is there will be hurt by 50° and 2in of rain. Especially the Coves in Shelton and Derby with a south wind 20mph will push waves into the coves and eat the ice faster I'm a Naugatuck Valley local lived my whole life here in the lower valley and have lots of experience on these coves. Always bring a plank or ladder unless you have already been there and someone set up a plank and left it there for everyone to use. This also applies to the coves on the lakes on the housy water is always moving up and down a few feet every day. Last Saturday would have been a challenge to get on lilly if I didn't bring a a board and a pallet
Go big or go home

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Not to mention we are still in minus tides until the weekend.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Not to mention we are still in minus tides until the weekend.

That moon is making some crazy tides, I thought I was seeing possible ice on the niantic river Monday but it was just mud where there isn't typically any mud showing.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:13 AM »
That moon is making some crazy tides, I thought I was seeing possible ice on the niantic river Monday but it was just mud where there isn't typically any mud showing.

Yup.  If you look at the tide charts the moon tides will always be minus tides and there will be a - on the low tide height.  Now once a year when the moon is the closest to us the minus tides peak.  After that every minus tide is a bit weaker as the moon moves further away. 

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2019, 01:12 PM »
How is it looking in the Derby/Shelton area?

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:37 PM »
How is it looking in the Derby/Shelton area?

Stopped by Sullivan’s at 12:30 today. Not ready yet. The sheet looked good and based on the other coves to tho north checked later I’d say it’s 3” or so. Thin broken ice to 10’ from shore. No plank or sign of anyone on ice.

Walked onto Pink House from back cove parking area. Edges real thin and sagging but didn’t break. Measured 3+”

Jackson’s also 3+” 50’ from ramp

Kettletown was about the same 3-4” to right of parking area. I may try here tomorrow or Candlewood.

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2019, 08:36 PM »
Went to Sullivan’s at 3:30 this afternoon on last 2 hrs falling tide. The YP were fairly active in 20’. Jigged up quite a few with 6 or 7 10”+. Measured 4” ice at end of plank and 6”+ on the sheet. 2 planks on east side of cove.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.