Author Topic: Mice chewed transducer off Flasher, can it be fixed?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mice chewed transducer off Flasher, can it be fixed?
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:42 AM »
So somehow some mice? Chewed the transducer off my Marcum ice flasher, is there any way I could repair it without buying a new transducer? The line was severed about 2" above the transducer itself

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Mice chewed transducer off Flasher, can it be fixed?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:41 PM »
How many wires?  If it's only a few,  you can strip, install shrink tube, apply liquid tape and you should be good to go.  I've done a few (non marcum) without any problems.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:27 PM »
what model Marcum is it. I have a new transducer here.

Offline Fishtrekker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:50 PM »
I have not heard of anyone being able to repair their transducer or a company doing it. Even so, its would only be a matter of time before it would fail again or get water into the repaired area and then short out your ducer. As much as it sucks, less hassle and less worry about it failing again out on the ice and just buy a new one. Just my 2 cents....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:50 PM »
we just went thru this not long ago. while some manage to get the wires soldered, the aim more than likely will be off. it would be good a for a hull mount tho. it doesn't take much at all to throw it off of aim even some ice built up unbalanced around the ducer does it.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:07 AM »
we just went thru this not long ago. while some manage to get the wires soldered, the aim more than likely will be off. it would be good a for a hull mount tho. it doesn't take much at all to throw it off of aim even some ice built up unbalanced around the ducer does it.

What does soldering wires have to do with the aim of the transducer. 

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:10 AM »
what model Marcum is it. I have a new transducer here.

It's a marcum vx1-pro

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:40 PM »
What does soldering wires have to do with the aim of the transducer.
every thing.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2018, 12:58 PM »
So somehow some mice? Chewed the transducer off my Marcum ice flasher, is there any way I could repair it without buying a new transducer? The line was severed about 2" above the transducer itself

The one I have is for a zercom. It is a 8 hole connection but I have put it on a Marcum LX 2 to see if it would work and it did. I'm thinking your VX-1 only has a 3 hole connection but will still work. Can you post a picture of the back of your unit with the transducer off.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:52 PM »
every thing.
Could you enlighten me.   As long as the soldering job is neat, electrically correct and the result doesn't look like Tonys spaghetti and the transducer can be oriented down.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2018, 07:39 PM »
That’s the issue...getting the transducer puck to hang correctly. You need to know what you’re doing so it doesn’t get all cattywampus! I agree, a replacement transducer is the way to go.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2018, 02:54 AM »
correct, making it hang perfectly is key for proper aim. just like a plumb bob.
sure you can solder it and hang it, but the odds of it pointing straight down is slim to none. the deeper the bottom the further it will be offset if not set perfect like they are new. maybe if you made a jig for the solder work it would aim correctly.
this happens a lot here. last one was a guy bought a used lx7 and couldn't see his jig no matter what. we went thru the normal steps to trouble shoot it here and it turned out to be liquid tape was added to the cable where it enters the puck was all that was wrong. he removed it and it worked just like his new lx7 does.
if you get a partial slice in the jacket it will throw the aim too far off also even when the wires were never cut.

i noticed just with ice build up on mine that it was having a hard time seeing my jig when it didn't at first. i removed the ice formed on the sides of it (it formed unevenly around it and made it heavier on one side) and it was working like it first did.
it will work fine as a hull mount if soldered and not be a total waste of time if you wanted to repair it.

Offline 450foreman04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I had a cut transducer cable as well on my showdown troller.  I tried to repair it with no luck.  A new transducer was at least $100.  Marcum has a non warranty repair process.  For a troller it is $65 plus shipping ($11.05).  So, for $76.05 they fixed the transducer for me.  Not only that, but they repaired things that I didn't even know were broke!  Here is the text from the work order they sent: "Replaced ducer with new insulated cable. Replaced membrane overlay, adhesive failed and buttons corroded. Replaced cracked front plastic case."  Seriously, I just sent it in hoping they could fix the transducer and save me $25 but they found all that other stuff too.  It took a couple of weeks total, but that included the holidays.  Probably a little over a week of actual business days. 

According to their website the VX-1 repair cost is $80 plus shipping.  A new ducer is like $120.  So even after shipping you save a few bucks.  And, get a full inspection and repair of whatever you didn't even realize was broken. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:32 AM »
it's a great deal! been telling others this is the way to go when you need a new transducer.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2018, 10:53 PM »
post a photo of this mouse chewed cable.     

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2018, 03:06 PM »
Can't hurt to give it a try. Years ago people used to hang their ice ducer in the air and use a hose clamp to balance it so it was level. They would also flatten split shot and put it between the transducer and hose clamped if more weight was needed.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Spliced a cable off my Vexilar with no problems...just get as many wires together as possible. Mine wasn't caused by a mouse, but the cat that should have got your mouse instead of my cable and we would both be ok at this time. ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline nhdeadhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Well I tried to repair it to no avail. I spliced the wires back together and individually shrink tubed each set and then shrink tubed the main line back together as straight as possible. The machine made a lot more noise than normal and the screen was cluttered with "interference" and while it did pick up the jig,it was marking as if it were on the bottom while the jig was in the middle of the water column. I figured it would be a long shot trying to repair it myself but had to try before forking up the $100 to send it in.

Online ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:49 AM »
At least you gave it a try.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.