The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearfishing through ice with eggshells  (Read 5205 times)

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
Spearfishing through ice with eggshells
« on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:33 AM »
 I found my grandpappi's old spear. He told me about putting egg shells down the hole and waiting for pike and then blasting them with the spear. I'm going to try it on Conesus and Chautauqua Lake this year. Few ole pike decoys too.
If you can't stand the heat, get your bass out of the kitchen.

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Spearfishing through ice with eggshells
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:40 AM »
sounds like fun  :clap:
good luck  :flex:

Offline TheGobyGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:55 AM »
Its cool your grandfather could share that with you. Unfortunately, spearing pike is no longer permitted in NY.  The Regs list a few waters (and seasons) in each region where you can spearfish and the permitted fish species, but no gamefish. They'll make for cool decorations. Or take a trip to the upper mid-west and put them to use! Bring your Grandpappi.

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:32 AM »
That's what I kind of figured. I'll give it a whirl on my buddies pond first then I'll sell all of it on ebay instead. My grandpappi passed away last fall from Covid, so we won't be going midwest anytime soon.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2022, 06:54 AM »
Keep that spear. Hang it on the wall!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Sorry to see you lost your Grandfather, Conklin.  If you aren't already aware, there is a "Darkhouse" page here on the IS forum that you can look thru for some tips and tricks that you might find useful.  Using eggshells works well (rinse them first) when you have a dark bottom lake to give you some contrast to help see a fish come in to the spearing hole.  Navy beans, potato slices, pasta noodles, pistachio hulls work as well.  Although a seemingly relatively simple endeavor, hardwater spearing does take some effort to get things setup, but it's a rewarding activity when everything comes together and a large target fish cruises into view - closest thing to deer hunting on the ice you'll ever experience.  And if you decide that spearing isn't a pursuit you desire to continue with I highly recommend you get your Grandfather's spear and those decoys evaluated before throwing them up on an auction site - some spears and decoys are highly collectible.  I really hope you get an opportunity to get out to try spearing!

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:56 AM »
I get that they don't allow spearing for pike, as you could spear a fish and then realize it was undersized, but i wish they would allow spearing for a fish without a size limit, like perch.

I know some real shallow bays where spearing perch would be a blast.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:27 AM »
I get that they don't allow spearing for pike, as you could spear a fish and then realize it was undersized, but i wish they would allow spearing for a fish without a size limit, like perch.

I know some real shallow bays where spearing perch would be a blast.

Actually, one positive about spearing is the ability and opportunity to selectively harvest a particular fish - it's not difficult at all to assess the length.  Most common way is knowing the length of the decoy being used and comparing the decoy to the fish.  A method I use in addition is I run (2) decoy lines down that I space apart by "X" distance - say 24" apart - to give me another way to measure.  Those are a couple methods to judge length on fish that are close to the legal limit.  After a few sits in a darkhouse seeing pike you'll also start to notice that "skinny" fish are the shortys and the "wide" ones are the ones to pay attention to. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2022, 08:55 AM »

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Petercos22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:08 AM »
That brings back some memories. My uncle used to drop eggshells down the hole when I was a kid back in the sixties. Not always but I can remember times it would trigger a strike even under tip ups for walleye an pike. I will remember to try it this year.

Offline Petercos22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:10 AM »
That brings back some memories. My uncle used to drop eggshells down the hole when I was a kid back in the sixties. Not always, but I can remember times it would trigger a strike even under tip ups for walleye an pike. I will remember to try it this year.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:15 AM »
No pike in Chautaqua anyways.
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline NOT ME

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a prodigious achievement!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:34 AM »
Don't take the bait ;D
It's stupendous!  It's colossal!  It's putrid!!

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2022, 09:43 AM »
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2022, 02:18 PM »
I thought Spearfishing was an email or electronic communications scam targeted towards a specific individual, organization or business. Although often intended to steal data for malicious purposes, cybercriminals may also intend to install malware on a targeted user’s computer. ;D

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2022, 02:34 PM »
I went with him twice when I got back from overseas but with no luck. We were on a small inlet to Cassadaga lake. My buddies pond has some rogue carp and bullhead in it. May give that a whirl sometime soon and see if the eggshell trick works. I hate eggs to begin with. Ate thousands of them in Taiwan. Either way it'll be a one and done and try to make some bank on the old stuff sitting in my garage collecting dust.

Offline dakata

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2022, 05:49 PM »
Can you post a picture of the spear if it is not too personal? Never heard of that. Sounds challenging… wherever legal.

Offline Conklin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Navy Vet
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05:14 AM »
4 prong. deep blades. old hickory handle wrapped in some hockey grip tape to bury the spear into the pikes neck. slender to reduce friction because of the speed needed to shoot through the water. it's pretty unique and going on ebay next week.

Offline NeedSleep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Money over Gramps memories,SAD

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2022, 07:57 PM »
I second you should keep the spear and put it on the wall. But if you don't. please post the ebay link.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 06, 2022, 06:59 PM »
Older thread but just wanted to clarify 2 points.
Eggshells are placed at the bottom of a spear hole to see your fish in deeper or murky water. I use rice & use oatmeal if the bottom is a weedbed
Any spear has to have an odd # of tines to fly straight. The center tine is the guide for straight flight or it will plane

Swift Tines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.