Author Topic: does anyone smoke carp anymore?  (Read 7239 times)

Offline minnowdrowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T-bar!!!
Re: does anyone smoke carp anymore?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:15 PM »
He likes it, Mikey likes it!!! ;D
How many times do I gotta go through holes before I watch where I'm going? I am an amateur fisherman, but an all star minnow drowner!

Offline FerrisFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:22 PM »
I've never had it smoked, but last summer my girlfriend's mother cooked one on the grill. I trust her judgment when it comes to food, so I tried it. It was great, didn't taste at all like mud like I was told it would, and now I have something to do with some of the carp I shoot in the summer.

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:33 PM »
hey sturgeonguy
i still smoke carp.... soak fillets overnight,skin on in water salted enough to float an egg,rinse,let dry until glaze forms on meat,few hours.
then place in smoker.i use apple or alder for fish,about four hours,meat flakes easily with fork when done.....the key here is you have to own a smokehouse and not a bong.sounds like that leaves some of us out......to bad
                                                            huntrboy...

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:44 PM »
hey sturgeonguy
i still smoke carp.... soak fillets overnight,skin on in water salted enough to float an egg,rinse,let dry until glaze forms on meat,few hours.
then place in smoker.i use apple or alder for fish,about four hours,meat flakes easily with fork when done.....the key here is you have to own a smokehouse and not a bong.sounds like that leaves some of us out......to bad
                                                            huntrboy...
i hear ya man, usually when i smoke fish i use apple wood and like you said enough salt to float an egg but i usually add like a half bag of brown sugar to the mix. the fish usually don't last long everyone else pigs out and i don't get much then again maybe i should not invite the guys over for beer when im smokin fish.

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2009, 07:17 PM »
I thought I smoked everything that there was to smoke back in high school, but I guess I was wrong! How much is a bag of carp going for these days? lol

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2009, 09:17 PM »
I thought I smoked everything that there was to smoke back in high school, but I guess I was wrong! How much is a bag of carp going for these days? lol

$0.03 an oz
EYECONICFISHING

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:43 AM »
I have never personally eaten Carp, but when I was younger....MUCH younger..my Dad told me that he worked with an older fella that used to catch Carp from the Susquehanna and take them up (live) to his spring fed cattle watering tank and purge them in fresh cold water for a couple of weeks before cleaning and eating them. Whether they were good or not... I don't know, but I have heard of others "purging" them before cleaning and eating them.....WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Well I suppose a Nebraskan better chime in on all this carp talk. People here love their carp, smoked, fried, baked or pickled. It's actually very good, the old timers probably like it better than the younger gen. My father and I used to commercial fish alot when I was growing up in the late 60's, 70's and first part of the 80's on the Missouri river. When the game and parks outlawed commercial fishing for catfish we kind of gave up carp fishing also as it did'nt pay enough (.25 a pound live) to continue doing. We still catch a few trammel netting in the winter months to smoke. The big Buffaloe Carp are the best tasting as they have a whiter meat. If you're getting a nasty taste you should probably remove the blood line, its that dark red streak that runs down the side of the fish. Smoke them just like you would smoke any fish, we use any type of fruitwood. Also carp out of running water is always better than carp from still water, like lakes.
Good fishing fellas and give carp a try.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:45 PM »
baked??? :o :P ;D
Wrap it up in tin foil with some wet garlic, onion, olive oil, seasoning salt, pepper and butter. mmmmmmmmmmm good!!!
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:44 PM »
   Asians can cook better tasting and more varied fish dishes than any other people on earth and they eat huge amounts of carp. So do eastern and central Europeans. Carp are quite likely eaten in more quantity than any other specie of fresh water fish. The problem I think is more with where you catch them than the fish themselves. They can survive even thrive in waters few other fish can tolerate but before you slam them too hard for being bottom feeders think about Blue, White, and Channel Catfish and lets not forget the esteemed
Sturgeon a real taste treat that's been swimming around for 30,40, or more years sucking mud and arsenic, lead, Mercury, PCB's, and other dandy substances. Alot of early European Settlers prized carp over Atlantic Salmon.
they used the hugely abundant salmon for fertilizer but went to great trouble to import their prized carp. Seems nuts today but that's the way it went down. As gamefish overseas in places carp are still King,
but it should be said that in some Old World habitats the cold waters and rocky/sandy bottoms were not suited to carp and reproduction and growth was poor.

Spin

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:52 AM »
Good point spin thats why if Im gonna eat catfish I keep the young ones less time to fill up with the bad stuff.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.