salt - not table salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
cayenne pepper
cumin
chili powder

rub your ribs with table mustard or worchestshire sauce to coat. rub your ribs with the rub you just made. wrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge night before you are going to smoke.

next day

preheat smoker. unwrap ribs. put in smoker at no more than 250* for 3 hours with smoke. spritzing every half hour or so with apple juice or make one up yourself.

take out ribs wrap in heavy duty foil, put in some sauce or apple juice or whatever. put back on smoker for two more hours.

after two hours are up, upwrap and put back on smoker for another hour to firm things up..slather with bbq sauce if you must... tender moist juicy ribs

need more help let me know..lol

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ribs
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2008, 12:27 PM »
I have used this method and it is pretty much fool-proof....trust me on that...as I am a FOOL! LOL

Anyway...the only thing I can add is before I slather and dry rub....I remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs....use a butter knife to lift the membrane and PULL....makes a bit more tender end product.

DD
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2008, 03:12 PM »
i never remove the membrane...some peeps do

if i am going to cook for a competition then yah i remove it. the membrane can be removed after you cook. comes off even easier

a knife works good but a big tablespoon seems to work for me the best

I have used this method and it is pretty much fool-proof....trust me on that...as I am a FOOL! LOL

Anyway...the only thing I can add is before I slather and dry rub....I remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs....use a butter knife to lift the membrane and PULL....makes a bit more tender end product.

DD

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2008, 08:20 PM »
This works with slabs Baby Backs, Spare Ribs or Brisket.

Preheat BBQ Grille to 400
Season ribs w/ garlic salt, black pepper, seasoning salt or whatever seasonings you prefer.
Place ribs on grille 5 min per side.
Remove from grille

Mix 1 or 2 packages of onion soup mix w/water
Put soup mixture in Countertop Roaster Oven - preheat to 400
Use rack inside oven, do not overfill with liquid
Place ribs in roaster oven
Cook without opening roaster for 1 hr
Lower temp to 225
Continue cooking for 4-5 hrs. Brisket will take longer, 6-8 hrs
Baste every hour add water if necessary.

Before serving return slabs to hot BBQ Grille for 3-4 min per side.
Be careful as they should be falling apart by now.
If you want, add favorite BBQ sauce now or serve w/dipping sauce.
Enjoy.

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:57 PM »
I use a version of Ted Reader's "Root Beer Ribs". Braise ribs first. In a big roasting pan, cover base with slices of onions, lemons and a bunch of crushed garlic.
Lay ribs over this, meat side down with membranes sliced criss-cross style and dry spices of your choice rubbed in. Cover with a liquid for braising - I use root beer, cola or sour apple soda. Cover and put in oven for 2 hours at 250 degrees F. Remove from oven and let cool for an hour. Remove ribs from liquid and then grill over medium heat for 4 minutes a side or so with whatever sauce you want on them. Meat falls off the bone so easily I have to remove the bones from under the grill rack. Very nice dish.
Regards,
Glen
PS - I highly reccomend the books by Ted Reader, "Canada's King of the Q". I use several recipes with rave reviews from family and friends. His "Bonedust" spice recipe on beer can chicken is to die for.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2008, 03:48 PM »
ribs turn out like this... can also use county style ribs but shorten cooking time to 2-2-1

country style

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2008, 12:39 PM »
mouth is watering....keep em coming guys

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:49 PM »
I really love ribs!
That's probably why mine are so well insulated today.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:53 PM »
i"ve been told my ribs kick arse!! i will be cooking 3 racks this weekend....ribs,icefishing,beer,pike,friends...does it get any better!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2008, 03:27 AM »
i"ve been told my ribs kick arse!! i will be cooking 3 racks this weekend....ribs,icefishing,beer,pike,friends...does it get any better!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i hope they tell me my ribs are kick arse too..gotta couple of KCBS(kansas city bbq) comps planned this year..lol

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:04 AM »
teacup.....good luck man!
Them country ribs look AMAZING!!

Oh....love the avatar!! LOL 8)
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:21 AM »
Teacup.  I tried your 3-2-1 recipe as I was looking for a good one right when this post started.   They were some of the best ribs I've ever had.  I done them in my new smoker, and I will definately be doing them that way again.   :thumbsup:
And I done one thing extra....my smoker has a steam bowl to put water or whatever you want to steam while its smoking, so I put in a litre of apple juice.   :)

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2008, 04:50 AM »
Teacup.  I tried your 3-2-1 recipe as I was looking for a good one right when this post started.   They were some of the best ribs I've ever had.  I done them in my new smoker, and I will definately be doing them that way again.   :thumbsup:
And I done one thing extra....my smoker has a steam bowl to put water or whatever you want to steam while its smoking, so I put in a litre of apple juice.   :)

i use to use the waterbowl in my smoker all the time but really dont use it anymore... the liquid IMHO doesnt add any flavor to the meat just moisture but hey if it works for you, keep using it..lol

glad u liked the ribs, i smoke/Q almost anything and everything..lol

side note:
i use to live in the Brandon area years ago

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2008, 04:56 AM »
teacup.....good luck man!
Them country ribs look AMAZING!!

Oh....love the avatar!! LOL 8)

thanks thanks... oh and the beans and the coleslaw are all homemade, beans cooked on smoker as well

bush beans
butterbeans
green bell peppers
pineapple pieces
brown sugar
onions
left over pulled pork/brisket/smoked sausage (cant remember which one i put in that time..lol)

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2008, 02:28 PM »
i use to use the waterbowl in my smoker all the time but really dont use it anymore... the liquid IMHO doesnt add any flavor to the meat just moisture but hey if it works for you, keep using it..lol

Ya, I didn't know if it would help or not but figured it couldn't hurt so I tried it. 

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2008, 02:50 PM »
My favorite thing to put into ribs are... MY TEETH ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2008, 02:56 PM »
you want em bbq'd? wait that is the only way i do them..lol

BBQ'd Ribs - 3-2-1

put a rub on them

brown sugar - dark
salt - not table salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
paprika
cayenne pepper
cumin
chili powder

rub your ribs with table mustard or worchestshire sauce to coat. rub your ribs with the rub you just made. wrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge night before you are going to smoke.

next day

preheat smoker. unwrap ribs. put in smoker at no more than 250* for 3 hours with smoke. spritzing every half hour or so with apple juice or make one up yourself.

take out ribs wrap in heavy duty foil, put in some sauce or apple juice or whatever. put back on smoker for two more hours.

after two hours are up, upwrap and put back on smoker for another hour to firm things up..slather with bbq sauce if you must... tender moist juicy ribs

need more help let me know..lol

yum
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.