Author Topic: Can you use the fish you catch in sushi?  (Read 23059 times)

Offline kayak2fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Can you use the fish you catch in sushi?
« on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:53 AM »
I love sushi and I love fishing. I got a make-your-own sushi kit for Christmas and naturally my first question is can I use locally caught walleye, perch and trout in my homemade sushi.
Anybody know?

Offline blue_lund

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Can you use the fish you catch in sushi?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Raw freshwater fish typically has things in it which will make you ill if you don't cook it throughly.  The same applies for most salt water fish too.  That is the main reason why only a few certain types of fish can be turned into sushi.

Offline cp13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2007, 12:21 AM »
salmon would most likely work, since its widely used in sushi, make sure its from clean waters and consume in small amounts...

Offline Stickle Back

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2007, 04:54 PM »
All sushi is "flash frozen" to -35 degrees (i think thats the temp) than it is thawed out.
I was advised to freeze the fish before I used it for sushi.

-Ben

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Fresh water fish......NO.....do not eat raw!  You will get some sort of parasitic disease... my favorite is a tape worm call Diphilbothum lata  she will grow about 27' long in your intestine.  Best place to get one of those is eating not properly cooked Northern Pike from Northern Minnesota...  The finlander's brought them over from the old country!  I know of someone also catching a tapeworm from walleyes not properly cooked.

BTW nothing better than fresh tuna sushimi! With the flesh still quivering!

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2007, 10:25 PM »
salmon would most likely work, since its widely used in sushi, make sure its from clean waters and consume in small amounts...

not entirely true..lol

well if you live in michigan then yah you would see lots of salmon as sushi but if you elsewhere there are so many more choices...

me personally have never eaten sushi with salmon, just too fishy. i have eaten alot of sashimi, hot tuna rolls, lobster rolls,(just about everything, was living in calif for awhile)

here from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi#Toppings_and_fillings

Fish
For culinary, sanitary, and aesthetic reasons, fish eaten raw must be fresher and of higher quality than fish which is cooked.
Professional sushi chefs are trained to recognize good fish. Important attributes include smells, color, and being free of obvious parasites that normal commercial inspection do not detect (many go undetected).

Only ocean fish are used raw in sushi; freshwater fish are more likely to harbor parasites that are harmful to humans if uncooked.

Commonly-used fish are tuna (akami, chutoro, shiro-maguro, toro), Japanese amberjack, also known as yellowtail (hamachi), snapper (kurodai), conger (hamo), mackerel (saba), salmon (sake), and eel (anago and unagi). The most valued sushi ingredient is toro, the fatty cut of tuna. This comes in a variety of ōtoro (often from the bluefin species of tuna) and chutoro, meaning middle toro, implying that it is halfway into the fattiness between toro and regular red tuna (akami).

Aburi style refers to nigiri sushi where the fish is partially grilled (topside) and partially raw.

Seafood
Other seafoods such as squid (ika), octopus (tako), shrimp (ebi and amaebi), clam (mirugai, aoyagi and akagi), fish roe (ikura, masago, kazunoko and tobiko), sea urchin (uni), crab (kani), and various kinds of shellfish (abalone, prawn, scallop) are the most popular seafoods in sushi. Oysters, however, are not typically put in sushi because the taste is not thought to go well with the rice. However, some sushi restaurants in New Orleans are known to have Fried Oyster Rolls and Crawfish rolls.

Offline Just Ed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2007, 11:15 PM »
I have to agree with corny13 and teacup13 - you can have an issue with freshwater salmon.  Here in Colorado, one of our lakes recently suffered a large kokanee die off from a parasite (gill lice).  They are safe to humans provided they are cooked to a temperature of 145 degrees.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NewsMedia/PressReleases/Press.asp?PressId=4695

I would skip it personally (and I like sushi).  :)

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2007, 12:07 AM »
I love sushi and I love fishing. I got a make-your-own sushi kit for Christmas and naturally my first question is can I use locally caught walleye, perch and trout in my homemade sushi.
Anybody know?
\
Darkhousefisher loves sushi so maby before He thinks about making some I will notify Him of this post.Think He`s mentioned this before.I`ve never tried Sushi before,something about putting uncooked anything into My big mouth just is not too appealing and after reading about the parasites do`nt think I`ll ever try it.LOLThat goes for any kind of food. :)

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2007, 12:18 AM »
\
Darkhousefisher loves sushi so maby before He thinks about making some I will notify Him of this post.Think He`s mentioned this before.I`ve never tried Sushi before,something about putting uncooked anything into My big mouth just is not too appealing and after reading about the parasites do`nt think I`ll ever try it.LOLThat goes for any kind of food. :)

i use to think the same way. when most people try sushi and dont like it, it is usually because of the seaweed texture and not actually the raw meat

i would start any non sushi eater off with a lobster-roll(if yah like lobster..lol)-meat is cooked and is just rice

contrary to what everybody says, not all sushi is raw meat

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2007, 01:33 AM »
There were some stories going around about some anglers up in Northern Minnesota or Canada who prepared ceviche with Northern Pike and got intestinal parasites.

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2007, 03:16 AM »
I think there is more rumours than a bad girly mag here. I just wanted people hear the facts!
To judge fish on freshness, it has to be a whole fish ; the slime-layer must be intact, and the gills should be moist and bright red. (except for mackerel, whose gills are brown) The scales must be both intact and shiny, and firmly attached to the body. The cut-wound edges must have a fresh scent. The flesh has to be firm. Poking your finger in the flesh, it has to bounce back. Fresh fish has convex eyes, which shouldn't be bloody but bright white, with shiny black pupils. There should not be any signs of browning (due to oxidation).
And fresh fish does not smell.

Of course nobody will tell you (or they tell you it is needed to kill parasites), but be sure the fish hasn't been in the freezer. You can tell because fish that has been in the freezer is tasteless and 'watery'.

Supermarket-salmon often isn't very fresh and sometimes 'slightly prepared', to increase shelf-life.

Americans in general are quite frantic about raw food, and American sites therefore will tell you that sweet-water fish has to be deep-frozen before consumption. In the USA the FDA in it's infinite wisdom has decided that the almost negligible risk of absorbing parasites should be totally eliminated. Fish that is intended to be consumed in its raw form, has to be deep-frozen first, by law, while freezing does not kill nematodes. Luckily, the FDA has no jurisdiction over the retail operation in general; "the serving of sushi does not fall under their purview". Also see the FDA on seafood
Strangly, the FDA does not mind that the risk of absorbing mutagenic HCA from cooked fish is 100%; cooked fish always contains mutagenic HCA

In fact, absorbing parasites from fish that can cause ill effects, can easily be prevented. Simply stay away from the internal organs, and consume fresh raw red tuna, or farm raised salmon instead of wild salmon.

In the main there are three kinds of parasites to look out for in raw fish: flukes (trematodes), nematodes (roundworms) and tapeworms (cestodes).
Flukes are too big to remain unnoticed. They also are extremely rare.

Nematodes look like big, but short human hair (25-150 mm long, 2 mm in diameter). They lie perpendicular to the fishes' muscle striations (the pattern of striae in the flesh) and have a white translucent sheen. Any merchant - who wants to make sure his customers will not get ill - can detect them using ultrasound.
In particular wild salmon may contain roundworms, but farm raised salmon hardly ever does. There also have been case reports of roundworms from raw Yellowfin tuna causing ill effects in humans. Furtunately, nematodes cannot survive in humans, and only may cause temporary ill effects, such as bloating, cramping and diarrhea.

Tapeworm is the only type of worm that can survive in humans, but their intake can be easily prevented. Tapeworms are found in the internal organs (especially the intestines) and body cavities of the fish. You can avoid ingesting them by only eating the flesh of the fish, staying away from all organs. Tuna does not contain tapeworms.
Fortunately, tapeworms can be easily eliminated with medicines.
The risk of absorbing parasites that can cause ill effects is extremely small; less than 40 US citizens get ill each year by consuming fish containing parasites (in general due to an immune deficiency or due to having consumed some digestive part of the fish). In comparison: every year thousands of US citizens are bitten by snakes.

Of all fish, consuming raw red tuna is safest. Farm raised salmon is much safer than wild salmon. Consuming raw fish other than tuna, you just need to make sure not to consume any digestive organ of the fish, that you check the flesh of the fish, and that your immune system is working properly, so that your body is perfectly able to prevent any possible parasytic infection.

Relying on Japanese tradition and experience, one knows many fish can perfectly be consumed raw. To the Japanese, only serving fish of the best quality and utmost freshness is a matter of honor and ages of tradition.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2007, 03:24 AM »
i use to think the same way. when most people try sushi and dont like it, it is usually because of the seaweed texture and not actually the raw meat

i would start any non sushi eater off with a lobster-roll(if yah like lobster..lol)-meat is cooked and is just rice

contrary to what everybody says, not all sushi is raw meat
If it is authentic sushi IT WILL BE RAW. The stuff thats is cooked, is for the people that say they like to try new things, but not really. Authentic sushi is soooo much better. I

by Robert W. Service

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:51 AM »
If it is authentic sushi IT WILL BE RAW. The stuff thats is cooked, is for the people that say they like to try new things, but not really. Authentic sushi is soooo much better. I

Sushi does not have to be raw.  It all depends on the fish being prepared. Sushi actually refers to the rice that the fish is topping.  Maybe this will help clarify:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2007, 09:54 AM »
Hunter696:  had to reply about this quote as its not correct.  Diphyllobotrium lata the Broadfish tape worm has a three phase biology.  The first larvael stage lives in the gut of crustaceans (crawfish, freshwater shrimp or scuds), the second larvael stage is eaten by fish where it migrates from the stomach into body muscles where it is called a plerocercoid.  It is from eating the MUSCLES of fish that we get it from not the intestines.  It is not that rare  I have a friend that got it lost 40lbs better than the Adkins diet!  ;D   He caught it up in the Boundary waters of Northern Minnesota.  The third phase lives in the gut of blackbears  or Humans that eat the fish meat.         

[Tapeworm is the only type of worm that can survive in humans, but their intake can be easily prevented. Tapeworms are found in the internal organs (especially the intestines) and body cavities of the fish. You can avoid ingesting them by only eating the flesh of the fish, staying away from all organs. Tuna does not contain tapeworms.
Fortunately, tapeworms can be easily eliminated with medicines.
The risk of absorbing parasites that can cause ill effects is extremely small; less than 40 US citizens get ill each year by consuming fish containing parasites (in general due to an immune deficiency or due to having consumed some digestive part of the fish). In comparison: every year thousands of US citizens are bitten by snakes.

Repeat... DO NOT EAT uncooked Northerns or Walleyes.  Check out this web site for more info:http://www.answers.com/topic/broad-fish-tapeworm?cat=technology

Corny( I have always liked parasites)

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2007, 10:03 AM »

Fresh caught salmon sashimi is pretty tough to beat.  I can't help but take little nibbles as I clean the fish. I do inspect the fish first and make sure there are no parasites.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2007, 10:05 AM »
 :sick: fish is meant to be cooked unless you are stranded on a deserted island without any matches

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
Can you use the fish you catch in sushi?
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2007, 02:14 PM »
I'm only familiar with the problems with the fish found in the yukon and alaska. I was not aware of the other tapeworms found in species of fish. All the problematice situations i stated are from fish that i've taken in to my local biologist. I guess to find the honest truth about these independent issues, is to talk to Your local biologist. I ve worked in many Fish farms throughout canada.  In all the farms we've eaten raw sushi or sashimi. Thats a growing market for tourism, bringing people to farms that grow wild species of fish, and giving them the product fresh and very raw. The Media and Internet are very powerful tools, unfortunatly most of the info found on it cannot be trusted. My best advise to everyone is to, become more involved with there local Fish and Game Society.

by Robert W. Service

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2008, 03:33 PM »
speaking from personal experience tapeworms can be found in variety of fish. pike, perch, burbot, whitefish. cisco and lake trout. the worst infestation i have seen is in lake trout. in most of these instances there were worms in the meat not just in in the organs. there is no fish locally that i would consider safe to eat raw.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2008, 04:08 AM »
Fresh water fish......NO.....do not eat raw!  You will get some sort of parasitic disease... my favorite is a tape worm call Diphilbothum lata  she will grow about 27' long in your intestine.  Best place to get one of those is eating not properly cooked Northern Pike from Northern Minnesota...  The finlander's brought them over from the old country!  I know of someone also catching a tapeworm from walleyes not properly cooked.

BTW nothing better than fresh tuna sushimi! With the flesh still quivering!

Most Bass also carry this parasite.
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2008, 04:58 PM »
wouldnt a little wasabi , soysause, horseraddish,lemmon,or lime kill the bactiria/ parisites,cook the fish enouph ?

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2008, 05:20 PM »
wouldnt a little wasabi , soysause, horseraddish,lemmon,or lime kill the bactiria/ parisites,cook the fish enouph ?

nope i dont think it would

wasabi is known as japanese horseradish

lemon/lime or most acids if left on white fleshed meat to long will "cook" something but not bring it up to the temps it needs to kill bacteria/parasites

on the topic of wasabi,almost all wasabi served in america and japan is imitation. real wasabi is extremely expensive. most  are made from horseradish,mustard and green food coloring..

Offline acer7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Eating raw pike is a Swedish delicacies.

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2008, 04:50 PM »
 i'm not sweedish

Offline corny13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2008, 10:09 PM »
Ja you betcha! that is the reason Diphyllobatrium is present in Northern Minnesota...

Brought over from the Old country :P

Offline evross69

• IceShanty Rookie
  • That's my girl. And no, Shes not a hunting dog.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:06 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.