The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: SE MT Bait Sources  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
SE MT Bait Sources
« on: Dec 21, 2006, 12:10 AM »
Post your info here for Billings and SE MT bait sources, to help each of us out. 

For minnows/bait: the Minnow Bucket in Huntley, and Osprey Realty (Scott Linden?) in Billings, have been good. 

The chain stores in Billings/Sheridan have been a big disappointment so far this season.  Only leftover crawlers with some stale waxworms.  No fresh minnows, waxies or maggots.

Keep in mind, after the new year, new live bait reg.s take effect that make illlegal all sources in Sheridan/Ranchester WY that were very helpful for us in the past.

This is important - you may save a fellow fisherman or woman a trip of several hundred miles.  Worth taking a minute to post if you are in the know.  Worth an minute to post an update for the rest of us. 

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year for all!

Please take a minute to save a day driving for many out in this remote area of the Great US of A. 

Thanks.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SE MT Bait Sources
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Good thread!

I've purchased waxies twice at Quick Sack in Sheridan; Warehouse Market has frozen smelt, and I have NO idea where to purchase a live minnow that could be fished legally either in northern Wyoming or SE Montana.

If anyone in Sheridan area wants to share an order for waxies/spikes, send a personal e-mail, and we can probably work something out.  I've got several internet sites, but 250 to 500 seems to be the minimum order.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Re: SE MT Bait Sources
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2006, 05:52 PM »
The Red Rocks Sporting Goods in Miles City just got in a fresh shipment of maggots (or Spikes) and waxworms.  They also have a limited supply of live minnows.  These guys and gals have been very helpful to me, as I live a bit of a drive from Ft Peck Reservoir and am usually in dire need of timely info on current ice/fish/bait conditions up there.  I intend to stop in on the way and give them some business.  They are just South of the Walmart there off the second exit (coming from the West on I-94).  Their number is (406) 232-2716.

Also, if you're heading to Ft. Peck, the Sinclair Station in Circle, Hell Creek Marina and the Lakeside Bait Shop at the North end of the dam, have live minnows and other bait/gear.  Don't have numbers for them.

Also, in my earlier post, I mentioned Osprey Realty and the Minnow Bucket.  There is contact info for them on the Walleyes Forever site (Billings Chapter).  There is also contact info on that site for Hell Creek Marina (they also have their own web site, complete with current ice/fishing report).

Hopefully, this will help get you a close encounter with the fish of your dreams.  LOL.

Tight Lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.