Author Topic: Heavy pullover  (Read 6013 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Heavy pullover
« on: Jan 07, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Does anyone have any brand recommendations for a heavyweight pullover sweatshirt? The last two that I have owned were both zipper down the front style. One I got a year out of and the second one the fifth time I wore it the zipper broke. They tell me $35 to put in a new one. One was Carhartt and the other Cabela's.

I figure it's time to go back to a pull over. I spend most of my winters outside so I am looking for a good heavy shirt that will be around a couple of years. I spend most of my time swinging a chainsaw and I have a tendency to be hard on stuff.

Thanks for any tips or comments.

WS

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Heavy pullover
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2014, 03:44 PM »
Carhartt is your best bet. I've got bibs and jacket that I've been warring for over 10 years now. Carhartt does make an insulated pullover sweatshirt I have one and is very warm.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2014, 01:07 PM »
carhart is #1 for me and I've found the nike brand holds up very well in the long term (neither brand is   made cheap nor are they cheap to buy)
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Thanks for the input.

WS

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:09 PM »
I like most guys wore cotton sweatshirts on the ice for years. I switched to an under armor sweatshirt (a gift) and I've never been happier. Not because it is UA, I was a sceptic. It is warm, blocks most wind and since it is made from synthetic fibers it dries quickly. Cotton hold moisture and gets heavy when wet. There are a ton of off brands out there, that are just as good as UA. I even switched all of my base layers to synthetic fibers and never looked back. Give them a shot.

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2014, 10:40 PM »
I like Carhartt the best, they're heavy weight and hold up.  If you want to stay with a 1/4 zipper sweat shirt the best you can get are the ones the firefighters wear that have the denim elbow patches.  We call them job shirts, there are a bunch of different brands but Rubin's and Charles River are two of the best.  They are very warm and you can even get them in fleece.  If you want to go that route you can look on Galls.com

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2014, 06:13 AM »
Thanks again. Some good information. I usually wear Under Armor as a base layer. I need to try and keep things as light as possible. One of our biggest challenges is not overdressing. When the job is extremely physical overheating is a killer.

I also came across another good looking pullover from Arborwear. Arborwear Double Thick Pullover Sweatshirts.
Their claim is that this sweatshirt makes others feel inadequate. Two layers of thick, 12 oz. 100% pre-shrunk cotton fleece for warmth, and gusseted armpits for freedom of movement. Snap closures at the neck keep the neck and chin warm while the oversized hood fits over a hard hat or helmet. Vertical, recessed handwarmer pouch to keep dirt and grime out of your pockets. I am thinking of giving one a shot.

Now in all fairness I have two Fleet Farms withing a half hour of my house. Both stores were totally sold out of their Carhartt supply of hoodies. They told me that for them winter is over and they are working on spring inventory. Go figure.

WS

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Check LaBonville for good American made fleece. They are a logging supply company based in Gorham, NH and most of their clothing is made in their own factory.
http://www.labonville.com/

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:22 AM »
If you can find them, insulated Carhart sweatshirts are great.

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:43 PM »
http://www.patagonia.com/ca/product/mens-lightweight-synchilla-snap-t?p=25580-0

Anything Patagonia will last a very long time!

This is the best fleece out there.

Burt :)

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Hey Whopper, have you looked into the Under-Armour line of clothing?

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/under-armour-men-s-armour-fleece-tackle-twill-storm-hoodie.html

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:23 PM »
Without a doubt it would have to be arbor wear, I would say it's like a heavy carhartt coat but it's a pullover sweatshirt. I absolutely love mine and we get some pretty wicked temps here and honestly I haven't been cold in it.

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline Burtess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Do yourself a favour and stick to the synthetics........ some of the product recommended in this thread are predominantly cotton based and this is not what you want for moisture transport.  Polyester or polypropylene fleece (or wool if you are stuck on a "natural" fibre) will perform MUCH better than cotton or its blends....

Burt :)

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2014, 04:05 PM »
I found a Carhart zip up last year and LOVED it...until I ran a friends auger with the exhaust facing me and burned a hole in it.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Carhartt is your best bet. I've got bibs and jacket that I've been warring for over 10 years now. Carhartt does make an insulated pullover sweatshirt I have one and is very warm.

+1 on a lined pullover Carhartt. It's my go to sweatshirt for work & play in the winter :thumbsup:

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Another vote for Under Armour as far as hooded sweatshirts go (I own a lot of Carhartt too), but I bought one of their "Storm" hoodies and couldn't be happier. Great fit, warm, and as Yooper said the fabric wicks away moisture and dries quickly. I got one off Amazon for $41.00 and free shipping, but colors and sizes are all different prices....

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Armour®-Fleece-Hoodie/dp/B00DQUA8SA

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Clam (Ice Armor) makes a hooded ice fishing vest.  I own 2 of them and I can tell you they are fantastic.  They are lined with fleece and are heavy nylon on the outside.  Completely stops the wind and sheds water.  You can wear whatever sweatshirt you want underneath that and you will be set.  The vest gives you great range of motion with your arms.  I don't know if Clam has them on their website, but you can call or email them to see if they have some in stock.  They usually sell out of them pretty fast.  They were obviously designed by someone who spends time outdoors. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Monovasia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Try Filson....I use them, they are bulletproof

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 09, 2014, 12:07 AM »
My favorite isn't a pullover but it's  been abused and is certainly time tested.  North Face Denali Fleece Jacket. I've had it for 12 maybe even 15 years now and I wear it every day between October and March. Its what I throw on when I get home from work because it's so comfortable.  Thing's been washed literally 100's of times. Hasn't shrunk or come unraveled.  It wicks moisture great and never gets funky smelling.  It has been scorched in a few spots while sitting around campfires but that's it.  Zippers in the arm pits are a great feature.  Always part of my layer system on the ice or on late season hunts.  Not cheap but perfect for me. 

Offline medic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I am kind a hood sweatshirt junkie always looking into the best hoodie's out there. I own a ton of them and last year I bought the new Cabelas Guidewear hoodie. That is hands down the best one I have ever owned. It is really warm and seems to keep the wind out. The most surprising thing to me was last week when I about lost my pole down the hole. I had my arm over elbow deep in the hole and was able to grab my rod and the sleeve was wet with beads of water and brushed them off and it was not wet, either was my clothes under it. Never fish without it now

Offline johnnieb71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2014, 05:30 PM »
I can tell you that the Arbor Wear  double thick is awesome. I wear it at work and can do just fine down to at least 15 degrees F. It is made of cotton which is never great if you get sweated up. Of course it's not windproof but the thing is tough. If you go this route,order a size larger than normal as it doesn't stretch at all.

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:50 AM »

Offline the force

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:28 PM »
Have never really been a "performance" hoodie guy (generally just basic cotton) but picked up a under armour one last year and love it. It has a tight knit so blocks the wind fairy well (for a hoodie) breathes and is surprisingly warm. I believe it is synthetic (tag is wore off). Was on sale for less than $50 at cabelas.
It is now my go to layered over a first ascent micro fleece 1/4 zip and first ascent base layer. If cooler out I add a down vest.
All good unless there is a high wind.

Offline THE GILL PILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:52 AM »
Carhartt or north face both have done me well

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Glens should still carry the insulated pullover ;)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2015, 05:23 AM »
It has been a little over a year ago since I started this thread. I went with the Arbor Wear double thick.

The main reason was because of my job I needed something that was going to stand up to daily punishment and be as abrasion resistant as possible. This thing has been fantastic in all areas except one.

The hood is overly large, and is a magnet for saw dust. It is a daily ritual to take the air hose to it and blow it clean before getting in the car and heading home. If not for that one issue, I would be 100% satisfied.

From the looks of it after 1 full year, I will be using it for some time to come. It still looks prit near new, and it has been through some adverse conditions. For a good heavy pull over, for cold weather fishing, I would highly recommend it being incorporated into one of your outer layers.

WS

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:58 PM »
will never be without my cabelas woolie heavy pullover. warmest pullover i have come across.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2015, 11:22 AM »

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2015, 07:14 PM »
I would like to try one of these.

http://lrbushcraft.com/html/100__wool_boreal_shirt_-_wool_.html

Nice looking Boreal Shirt! :thumbsup:

Tad stiff on the coin, but it sure looks well made.

WS

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:10 PM »
I own an arborwear pullover hoodie and it is thick.  a very heavy duty pullover.  moreso than any carhartt I own and I have three heavy zip up sweathsirts.  Its a beast.  Pretty pricey but I got mine at Dicks for like 20 bucks on clearance.  I do enjoy wearing my filson sweater.  Very pricey but have always found them on sale at a place near me that carries there products.  amazing heavy weight wool.  Well worth it.  I fell in the water one day surf fishing at montauk late October and it still kept me warm while soaked through.  I prefer wool. 

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11895566&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:11895566:16109808:WORKWEAR&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120138600000255623&catargetid=120138600002758165&cadevice=c
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.