Author Topic: Floatation Suit Question  (Read 1334 times)

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
Floatation Suit Question
« on: Nov 08, 2013, 07:26 AM »
Does anyone know the floatation capability of having just the jacket from one of those suits? I'm looking specifically at Striker Ice (but assume other brands perform similarly) and would prefer to not need both jacket & bibs in order to float.

I had no luck finding a video of someone testing it out either but if someone has a link to one of someone floating with just a jacket, I'd appreciate it.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Floatation Suit Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Legally they can't post a number, as the suits are not coast guard certified as a flotation device. Best thing to do is buy the jacket, jump into a pool and see how you float.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2013, 10:32 AM »
personally if I was only going to buy one piece of a floating suit it would be the bibs. thing about it like this, you have the floating  jacket on and you are able to get to the edge of the ice where you went in, now you are floating vertically from the jacket now you need to be able to get you hips and legs horizontal so you can pull your self out. I would want the bibs over the jacket to get my hips and legs horizontal and make it so it would be easier to get out. a floating jacket doesn't do no good if you can't get your legs out of the water too.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2013, 10:46 AM »
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2013, 03:43 PM »
personally if I was only going to buy one piece of a floating suit it would be the bibs. thing about it like this, you have the floating  jacket on and you are able to get to the edge of the ice where you went in, now you are floating vertically from the jacket now you need to be able to get you hips and legs horizontal so you can pull your self out. I would want the bibs over the jacket to get my hips and legs horizontal and make it so it would be easier to get out. a floating jacket doesn't do no good if you can't get your legs out of the water too.

Makes sense although I'd rather keep my head out of the water and have to focus on getting my legs up than vice versa.

I'd rather not shell out $300-400 if I can avoid it if just the jacket will be sufficient to keep me floating.

Offline Hobo Hilton

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it's FISHABLE or HUNTABLE, It's ME
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2013, 07:28 PM »
If I'm not mistaken Ice Armor put out a Video on there floatation suits and their specs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.