Author Topic: Mickey Boots  (Read 8038 times)

Offline watermaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Mickey Boots
« on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:43 PM »
merry christmas everyone,    anyone wear mickymouse boots ice fishing?   what are  the plus and minus?

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trying to teach my friend matt 300 how its done!
Re: micky mouse boots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:41 PM »
i have them and i will honestly tell you my feet have never been cold. you take them off and there steaming. pros are just about everything you cant find wrong with them. cons are you need to buy very large creepers, and there big and bulky.
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:43 PM »
i have never had a pair,but i wear baffin boots,great boots imo.

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:08 PM »
had mine for 35 years  Yes they are big  but  NOTHING is warmer   Nothing   period
May your flags never have the bends

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I wear my Baffins for 99% of my ice fishing and
other outdoor activities but when I'm out hunting
'Eyes at night on open current with -17 degrees and
a 30 mile an hour wind, I'm in my Mickys.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2010, 07:49 PM »
airplane jig nailed it. they dont look warm but for some mysterious reason there is nothing that comes close! i have muck boots (woodymax) and i wear creepers to keep off the ice, along with wool socks and they don't compare at all. mickeymouse boots you can wear ankle socks and your feet still COOK
Matt300 and Repete as young-bucks teaching the bucks how to fish!!! this is where we separate the men from the ladies!

Offline REDGIANT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:26 AM »
I have to agree with the above statement.  Mickeys are the only thing I wear ice fishing.  I wear ankle socks underneath and I don't even tie them.  I'll take them off occasionally, while out on the ice, and steam comes out of them.  They are also waterproof.  There are only a few cons they are big and bulky.  You can find creepers for them but the slip over the toe ones will not work.  I use a pair of Ice Grippers and they work great.
TIP UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:49 AM »
You cant beat the price  you can get them for  under  fifty bucks   Imagine 50 bucks for your own personal foot  steam bath  lol
May your flags never have the bends

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Have to agree with everyone else.. Good warm, waterproof boot..... But big and bulky.
For the money you can't beat them !!

Offline RE-PETE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:39 AM »
even with money, you still cant beat them!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:39 AM »
I endlessly toiled over posts and posts about what the best boots were pre-season this year. It ended up that i didnt have a huge budget, and so i bought a pair of the black Mickeys on ebay for about 45 bucks. I have worn them out on the ice 4 times so far and LOVE them. My feet have been toasty warm every time. Im glad i bought them.

Offline ekozlo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Hi all
I have a pair of the mickey mouse in black and i think they are the 'best boots'' ever !
Forget ever about cold feet again!! No liners and just pure warmth!!
And never buy anymore liners again !!
If ever get wet inside dump out the water,wipe with rag inside and twist sock and put back in boot warmth again!
I just ordered another pair in white for hunting and fishing!!!
From  www.sportsmansguide.co m !!
''They are the best !!
Everybody stay safe and lets all enjoy the ice fishing for years to come!! thanks ed kozlo

Offline gearfreak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:25 PM »
ive used mickys and my feet never got cold. they say you can fill them with water and your feet will still be warm. like other post they are bulky and heavy. i recently purchased boots from cabelas. they are the snowy range 1200 gram thinsulate water proof boot. they are a pack boot with hunting boot comfort. my feet stay nice and warm and dry. light weight and easy to move in. good all around boot for winter activities. the price was reasonable too. my boys both have a pair and love them. i still have my mickys for back up.
good luck and stay warm.
Thank a Vet.

Offline seansr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2010, 12:43 PM »
I borrowed my father-in-law's mickey mouse boots before and they are the warmest, driest boots going. I was going to buy a pair but ended up with a pair of Neos insulated slip overs with ice grippers on the sole as a gift. They are very good also but they go over another pair of boots not to be worn by themselves. Also about $100. For the price you can't go wrong with the M.M. boots.

Offline Ericjeeper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Ome of my sons buddies came ice fishing with us today after they had spent the day in the snow slushing around cutting and splitting firewood. He said his feet were colt. He is 17, about 6'4" and 270. His father was killed this summer in a deer motorcycle wreck. I know they do not have much money. I asked him what size boot he wore.. he smiled and said 13 or 14 . I asked him if I bought him a pair of Mickeys if he was willing to work it off cutting firewood.. his eyes lit up and he smiled and said sure.  SG does not stock that large so I have a bid on ebay  for a pair of 13s they tend to run a bit large. Boy can not work outside with cold feet. let alone fish with cold feet.

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Another huge fan here. I got mine at a local army/navy for 60 bucks and you just can't beat em. Rarely have to put air in them, just an excellent boot for the elements
He'll be back

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:58 PM »
Another huge fan here. I got mine at a local army/navy for 60 bucks and you just can't beat em. Rarely have to put air in them, just an excellent boot for the elements
You are not supposed to open the valve... the valve is for altitude (pressure) adjustments...

Offline Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:21 AM »
Been using mickeys for 40+ years.
As stated they can't be beat. Just remember the white one's are warmer than the black ones.

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:47 AM »
You are not supposed to open the valve... the valve is for altitude (pressure) adjustments...

The air also acts as an insulator
"The boots prevented frostbite even at -20 or —30 degrees Fahrenheit (-29 to -34 Celsius); a thin layer of air trapped between two layers of rubber acts as a powerful insulator."
He'll be back

Offline MSice27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:05 AM »
the air valve on the side is not meant to be used to put air into the boot. it is for pressure when flying at high altitude.     

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I use it to put air in for insulation, I generally don't fly at high altitudes
He'll be back

Offline South33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tips Down! Flags Up!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2011, 03:42 PM »
I started ice fishing wearing these and they definitely keep your feet warm. I just thought they are way to heavy & awkward. Now I wear nothing but Danner Boots and can't complain.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Although they are big and bulky they are definetly warm. The White Bunny boots are warmer though.
The Bunny boots were made for the Air Force and the micky boots were made for the Army.
Bunny boots are some of the most popular boots here in Alaska.
I like to wear a set of the Extra large or 2x deicers and they work good with my bunny boots.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline MSice27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2011, 08:58 PM »
im just tring to help with your facts.. but whoever told you to put air in was wrong.  Be sure to keep the valve closed except while airborne. The valve is meant to release pressure inside the boot that occurs at high altitudes.(i.e. flying in an unpressurized aircraft, or summiting Mt. McKinley) The valve is NOT FOR INFLATING your Mickey Mouse boots for a tight fit. DO NOT BLOW AIR INTO YOUR BOOTS, your breath will moisten the linings and impair the insulating quality of the boot.   believe who you want, but this is the truth.   also "bunny" and "mickey mouse" boots are the SAME thing, just a different name. the black boots are rated to-20f and the white boots -40f. just tring to help educate everyone so they can enjoy these great boots.

Offline huletts1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2011, 11:08 PM »
Au Contraire, Air is an excellent insulator and I suspect most people do not fly at high altitudes before/during ice fishing. For purposes of this forum, I think everything will be OK if we blow up these bad boys a bit to keep the feetsies warm. Thanks for the facts though!
He'll be back

Offline MSice27

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2011, 08:44 AM »
obviously you didnt read everything i wrote...   the moisture from the air you blow in will HURT the insulating ability of the boot... but hey to each there own do what you want, i dont care. i was only trying to help out and get your facts straight.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:14 PM »
There are more ways to put air in the boots than blowing it in. ;)
Also another benefit is there is no liner in these boots so you can dry them real easily whereever you are. Many People up here in Alaska on backcountry trips just wipe the moisture out with a paper towel and your good to go again.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2011, 01:49 PM »
In my experience of 50+ yrs of ice fishing, no other boot can measure up to the MM's.  Durability, Costs, Warmth , etc, etc...

They simply can't be beat.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline LLCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Got mine This year been out 3 times -6, -10, -14C and not once have gotten cold feet highly recommended, Still have Sorels rated for -100C there good too but find them too Clunky, if that's a word, will be out with the mickeys in some colder temps coming soon so will see how they hold up, but overall love them smaller footprint then the Sorels completely waterproof not just above the ankles. Easier to walk in.

LL

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:51 PM »
I still have the pamplet that came with both my Whites and Blacks. The blacks are rated for +14 Deg F and the Whites for -20 Deg F.  From how warm they keep my feet this must be an extremely conservative rating.  They are also probably rated for "no activity" which makes a big difference.  My whites seem just as warm as my Ice Kings which were rated for -100 Deg F.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.