Author Topic: Some Bayrunner Mods  (Read 35363 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Some Bayrunner Mods
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. If we don't get good ice soon to distract me from messing with it this things gonna end up with a satelite dish and theater system lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please Take Your Garbage Home
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:09 PM »
I really like my Bayrunner but like any thing it can be improved... I though I'd share some of the things I've done to mine.
First I added a back rest to the sliding bench with a set of hinges from a folding boat seat, for the rest itself I used the electronics shelf... I figured it was already the right width and is finished in the same carpet as the seat. This left me open to make my own electronics shelf. I used pine boards and finished with some left over cherry stain I had. I have my HB 598 HD DI/SI mounted to it with a lower shelf that holds a 12 AH battery, a 110 inverter, and room for four 3700 size tackle boxes. Also a small raised carpeted floor section for my beagle Jezzabelle to get comfy on, it's just a 30"x16" piece of plywood with 3" legs and a thin pad and a bathroom carpet mat covering it. And lastly, not so much a mod but a tip... A bungee cord stretched across the two roof poles will work well as a rod holder and keeps them out of the way but irght in reach at the same time.

Nice Mods 800. Working on a bayrunner myself and have the same boat seat brackets, would like to know how you mounted the aluminum brackets under the seat, did you first remove the plastic tube slide and then sandwich the aluminum bracket between the  2x2 blocks and tube slide, or remove the slide and wooden 2x2 block and sandwich bracket between seat and 2x2 block.  thanks

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Thanks Chi, The hinges need to go as low as possible to allow enough room for it to fold without pulling the canvas to tight... Mine are in between the plastic sleeve and the 2x2. You likely need some spacers the same thickness as your hinges to level everything out, mine did. I can snap a couple pics when I get back home this evening.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2014, 04:03 PM »
Thanks Chi, The hinges need to go as low as possible to allow enough room for it to fold without pulling the canvas to tight... Mine are in between the plastic sleeve and the 2x2. You likely need some spacers the same thickness as your hinges to level everything out, mine did. I can snap a couple pics when I get back home this evening.
Thanks 800

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 25, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Going out to pick one up tomorrow afternoon. Love the mods you have done to yours, definately going to do the carpet idea with mine.

Cheers, and merry christmas all!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 25, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Hopefully these pics are ok... I'm on my 6th or 14th glass of eggnog lol...
Just make sure the first time you go to fold it up after your done with the backrest that the seat is all the way forward and the doors are unzipped... Don't want to find out you don't have quite enough clearence and poke a hole in the canvas. Mine will only fold up with the seat all the way forward, if it's slid back the canvas is too tight. Good luck man, let me know if you have any other questions... glad to help.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 26, 2014, 06:11 AM »
Hopefully these pics are ok... I'm on my 6th or 14th glass of eggnog lol...
Just make sure the first time you go to fold it up after your done with the backrest that the seat is all the way forward and the doors are unzipped... Don't want to find out you don't have quite enough clearence and poke a hole in the canvas. Mine will only fold up with the seat all the way forward, if it's slid back the canvas is too tight. Good luck man, let me know if you have any other questions... glad to help.

Thanks for the Pics, not bad after all those eggnog's you enjoyed, had one of those myself with 21 year old aged rum :)..Have a daughter that lives near Franklin NH, great state, was up there this past September.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 26, 2014, 10:21 AM »
Your welcome Chi, glad to help. Franklin is in the "lakes region" of NH a little north of me... great area, great fishing.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Hi Stealth.

Hope you are having a great christmas holiday. I went and picked up a bayrunner this aft and have set it up. Before i went and drilled the fabric in, i thought i would get the opinion of someone that has already set one up. Should i be pulling the fabric really tight before cinching down, or is it better to leave a little slack?

Thanks kindly.

Hey Elrik, Merry Christmas.
I pulled mine as tight as I could and still have the zippers work smoothly. I tested by pulling it tight and pushing on the rubber cap and then trying the doors... I had to adjust both sides a little to get things tight but not to tight for the zippers. Mine is nice and quiet in the wind, not nearly as much tent flap as a couple of my friends flips.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:21 PM »
some Mods I did.

http://s1080.photobucket.com/user/chi1551/slideshow/

you need to copy and paste the image code to the message/dialog box
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:52 PM »

Bayrunner Mods

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 31, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Looking good Chi. I like that tray holding you heater... whats it from? Does the pup go ice fishing with you? Jezzabelle loves hitting the ice... as long as she can warm up in the Bayrunner every now and then.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Dec 31, 2014, 04:31 PM »
Nice job Chi  ...great use of space... like  the color of your shelf ..very neat and clean .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 31, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Thanks 800 & HD, the tray was from a clam sled  I once had,   it's screwed down.      Here's the clam link   http://clamoutdoors.com/store/clam/accessories/console.html.    As for the paint, just left over from other projects. Make use of whats available. hope to get the pup out with me this year. I fish lake Erie eastern basin and conditions can be very rough, not an easy place to go out with the dog, but maybe I can get him out this year. Picture from Erie last year, 6 miles from launch site.

Chi

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 01, 2015, 03:44 PM »
Gotcha, I probably wouldn't bring Jezzi out if I had a 6 mile wheeler ride to get to the spot... Usually just hoofin it on small ponds around here.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2015, 11:09 PM »
Been sick with the flu for a week now and unable to fish so I've slowly been doing the lights (in between naps lol) and finished them today. I made a switch panel that covers the battery compartment, I decided to put each led strip on it's own switch to give better control of battery usage. There are two 12" strips on each roof bar and two 12" strips under the electronics shelf. I ran the wire inside the roof bars to protect them and keep the install clean. I'm very pleased with how bright it is inside with them all lit, and the placement gets rid of almost all the shadows. I left them all on for about three hours this evening and my 12 ah battery only dropped 1/10 of a volt. I'm guessing the entire setup adds about a pound to the weight. I also built a UV "dip cup" light for charging my glow jigs that swivels out of the shelf for use and then tucks back to a safe spot when not in use. Still need to cover the visible wiring with convoluted tubing and zip-tie up a couple loose ones but I'm happy with how it all came out. Night fishing is going to be much better now that I can see what I'm doing.

Offline Chi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2015, 04:35 AM »
really nice job you did 800, send those pics to shappell, you never know.    ;)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:21 AM »
Holy Cow ....is that the Bridge of the Enterprise ....maybe be a Tardis ...I keep an eye on this thread even though I don't have a "Runner"...very inspiring ...indeed

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2015, 07:49 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Just love all the work you have done on your br stealth. Can you come work on mine!  ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:14 AM »
Thanks man.

Offline fishbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:21 AM »
real nice---i got to say shappell was right on introducing this type of shanty----now watch as eskimo--clam--frabill---copy it---only bad thing i can say is shappell wont make the s2000 or s3000 anymore---i liked the s2000 very much---used mine for years

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 22, 2015, 09:35 AM »
Thanks... I do have a DLX3000 as well. Did they stop making the suitcase shelters? My local sportsman shop still has 3000s and 4000s on the floor. They are great shelters too, just not to mobile when setup. Now that I have the BR my 3000 has turned into a storage and changing room for camping in the summer... keeps all the coolers and misc. gear in the shade and dry.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Oct 16, 2015, 12:44 PM »
So it's getting to be that time of year again, and with the Bayrunner on its 3rd year of production now I'm guessing there's a lot more Runner owners out there now. I thought I'd warm this thread up again to see what some of you have done with yours, feel free to put up your mods and explain how you did them...
Next for me will be to put my runner on skis partly to help with pulling in the snow and partly to put the wear and tear on the skis instead of the tub, I'm thinking 3... one on each edge and one down the middle between the trap doors. I'm only looking to get an inch or two of lift from the skis, I think that's all that's needed to make pulling over snow easier without leaving a big gap between the ice and the trap doors for wind to blow through.  I thought about going the Smitty sled route but I'd really like to just mount the skies to the Runner directly so it's still just one piece of equipment... no unfolding or assembling the smitty then putting the runner on it and taking it off and what not... Just dump it out of the truck and be on my way.
So if anyone has tried this with their Runner or flip, let me know how it worked out. We're still 6-8 weeks away from ice in my neck of the woods but I like to have stuff ready ahead of time.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 16, 2015, 01:26 PM »
So it's getting to be that time of year again, and with the Bayrunner on its 3rd year of production now I'm guessing there's a lot more Runner owners out there now. I thought I'd warm this thread up again to see what some of you have done with yours, feel free to put up your mods and explain how you did them...
Next for me will be to put my runner on skis partly to help with pulling in the snow and partly to put the wear and tear on the skis instead of the tub, I'm thinking 3... one on each edge and one down the middle between the trap doors. I'm only looking to get an inch or two of lift from the skis, I think that's all that's needed to make pulling over snow easier without leaving a big gap between the ice and the trap doors for wind to blow through.  I thought about going the Smitty sled route but I'd really like to just mount the skies to the Runner directly so it's still just one piece of equipment... no unfolding or assembling the smitty then putting the runner on it and taking it off and what not... Just dump it out of the truck and be on my way.
So if anyone has tried this with their Runner or flip, let me know how it worked out. We're still 6-8 weeks away from ice in my neck of the woods but I like to have stuff ready ahead of time.

I've been following your posts on your mods for a few weeks now and I myself have done some of the same but what has really got me is the weight of it in the snow, like you I was thinking of a way to put skis on the tub, 3 skis is manditory I would think is that are under the tub while it's being fished from, I plan to fiddle around with mine next week to see if I can come up with a plan for lightweight frame that's sturdy enough to hold us and our gear, as far as wind blowing in you could always pile a few inches of snow around the base of the tub to block he wind, that also helps to anchor your runner on windy days

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Oct 16, 2015, 01:54 PM »
At first I was thinking a small frame but since weight is an issue with a runner I'm leaning more towards just ripping a few strips of 3/4" marine plywood to space the skis off the tub... that would give me about an 1 1/4"-1 1/2" of clearance from the tub to the ground. It doesn't sound like much but judging by the way my old smitty sled performed, I think the 3 skis will give enough flotation to hold the tub up out of the snow.

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Oct 16, 2015, 02:05 PM »
I was taking mine out on a smitty in the snow last year a couple times. Was a real pita to get it on the smitty, so I can def see the appeal of just putting on skis. That being said, I have taken it for 1-2 mile treks in deep snow and found it only marginally harder to pull on it's own versus on the smitty so long as the snow is at least semi packed. I only find it really hard in large depths of light snow, or in really wet/clingy snow, but for those times the skis would be a god send.

The one thing I want to look into doing is devise a way to attach an auger holder of some sort onto the outside of the tub so I have it for easy access when hole hopping and so that it doesn't take up space in the tub when I am fishing. With the hand auger it's ok, but when I need the 8" holes or the ice is deep enough that I want to use the ion it eats up a lot of the middle tub space and is awkward to get in and out when I am changing spots.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Oct 16, 2015, 03:28 PM »
Thanks for chiming in on how yours did on a smitty, good info.
An auger mount is something I'd like to do also... I always get in and out of the runner using the right door so I was thinking of some sort of hanger for the left outside of the tub so the auger is parallel to the ground hanging just under the lip of the tub. I use a 6" with a drill so it doesn't take up very much space but it would still be nice to just tuck it up tight to the runner and bring my battery inside especially on the smaller ponds where I don't drill many holes. For me the other benefit of hanging it up tight to the tub is for my dog. She always comes with me but I don't let her roam around the ice, when she's not in the runner she's on a 50' leash tied to the runner so the less stuff on the ice around me the less stuff for her to get tangled up in... Some sort of bait bucket holder would be nice too, she has sent my bait bucket flying across the ice a couple times with her leash... nothing like scrambling for your minnows as they freeze to the ice lol.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Oct 17, 2015, 12:01 PM »
I REALLY like this shack and have been watching them since the first came out, I'm wanting to get one this season but I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone who has one could answer. The trap doors on the floor look kinda small, do you have to be precise on hole location and do the trap doors let snow in when traveling long distances? Also wondering if the tub fills up with the ice chips, slush and water from drilling a 8" hole? I'm wanting to pull it with my ATV so I'm wondering about Hyfax kit? Like I said I have been watching for a while and I'm ready to get one bought. FANTASTIC mods guys keep the pictures coming.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Oct 17, 2015, 12:38 PM »
I REALLY like this shack and have been watching them since the first came out, I'm wanting to get one this season but I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone who has one could answer. The trap doors on the floor look kinda small, do you have to be precise on hole location and do the trap doors let snow in when traveling long distances? Also wondering if the tub fills up with the ice chips, slush and water from drilling a 8" hole? I'm wanting to pull it with my ATV so I'm wondering about Hyfax kit? Like I said I have been watching for a while and I'm ready to get one bought. FANTASTIC mods guys keep the pictures coming.

Bay Runner II not sure if a redesign or new model...I would think drill your holes then place your shelter

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=317953.msg3348476#msg3348476

http://fishhanks.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.