New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Honeoye Lake  (Read 22858 times)

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Honeoye Lake
« Reply #60 on: Jan 14, 2014, 02:18 PM »
I got ticketed on Silver Lake a dozen years ago for something similar. I had my spread out, was fishing for a couple hours, walked up to shore to my cousin's house where we were parked to use the bathroom and microwave a quick bowl of chili. I looked out the window and there's someone standing in the middle of my spread looking around. I went out immediately and it was DEC and he immediately wrote me a ticket. I told him "I was right there" and pointed to the house and that I hadn't been gone more than 5 minutes. That didn't matter. I had left my gear "unattended".

Offline hipnip22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Thanks Guys for the positive feedback!  If I see you out there...stop by and say hello.  We will have a nip and talk about the old days of catching fish. (Honeoye fishing seems to get worse every year)   Who remembers Good Derbies like - Honeyhole, Gamrods, Chamber of Commerce, California Ranch, Fish and Game Club!   Them were the days!  See you out there!  Watch out for gas holes on the west side!!

Regards,
Pete

Offline hipnip22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:08 PM »
No Arguing! .....Ok, at least we know the secret spot now. ;D

Seriously though Hipnip, I may be able to dig up some tipups that we're no longer using if you want them for the daughter.

Thanks Devo!  I'm good!  Maybe Grandpa will give some up! 

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #63 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Thanks Guys for the positive feedback!  If I see you out there...stop by and say hello.  We will have a nip and talk about the old days of catching fish. (Honeoye fishing seems to get worse every year)   Who remembers Good Derbies like - Honeyhole, Gamrods, Chamber of Commerce, California Ranch, Fish and Game Club!   Them were the days!  See you out there!  Watch out for gas holes on the west side!!

Regards,
Pete
if you say man I catch more and bigger bluegills and pumpkinseeds every year. my dad said its actually not bad compared to when he used to fish back in the day
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:14 PM »
if you say man I catch more and bigger bluegills and pumpkinseeds every year. my dad said its actually not bad compared to when he used to fish back in the day

fishing is still good just not like it used to be...they need to stop cutting the weeds!!!!!!!!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:32 PM »
fishing is still good just not like it used to be...they need to stop cutting the weeds!!!!!!!!
you are right about the weeds. i remember when the weed line went to like 18 ft when i was a kid. its more like 12ft now. all that blue green algae cant help either

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 14, 2014, 06:42 PM »
you are right about the weeds. i remember when the weed line went to like 18 ft when i was a kid. its more like ft now. all that blue green algae cant help either

why do u think that blue alge comes around every summer?  Every year about a week after they start cutting the lake turns to pea soup and the 3" of "grass clippings" floating on top promotes the blue alge process..I don't even go to the family cottage after July 4it is nasty...what a way to destroy an amazing lake, and I have seen other alge blooms on other lakes you can't tell me that honeoyes weed cutting has nothing to do with It.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 14, 2014, 07:05 PM »

Regards,
Pete

Remember the derbies well ,Fished them all, and some how survived. ;D
How's the ice

Offline 1beaver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • trapper
« Reply #68 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Still and all you shouldn't, have too worried about getting your stuff stolen.nice to know theres guys we fish with that would  rip you off in a heart beat.never know who your talking to out on that ice.ran into the same problem myself and looked up his name and guess what.no more fishing with him.
the bone

Offline Retired ECO

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #69 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Hipnip: yes you were in violation, analyze it this way. If you didn't see someone taking the time to pull up your tip-ups, then you wouldn't have seen a flag pop. That is the reason for the law. In attendance means that you have to have sight of the tip-ups so as soon as a flag pops you can react by starting towards the active tip-up. When I was checking ice fisherman and  found what I presumed to be "unattended" tip-ups, I would wave my arm and if no one appeared within a couple of minutes it was ticket time.
      Also, you need the name and address of the "operator" on said tip-up. That means the tip-up can have many names and address on them. You should see the Mennonites in the Penn Yan area, they may have five or six names on each tip-up as the pass them around between family members so much. JTP

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:48 PM »
why do u think that blue alge comes around every summer?  Every year about a week after they start cutting the lake turns to pea soup and the 3" of "grass clippings" floating on top promotes the blue alge process..I don't even go to the family cottage after July 4it is nasty...what a way to destroy an amazing lake, and I have seen other alge blooms on other lakes you can't tell me that honeoyes weed cutting has nothing to do with It.

Interesting, and it is too bad. Now they have room for about 100 boat trailers at the South launch and the Lake is unfishable about the time people would be coming....  Cya...

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 15, 2014, 01:55 PM »
Not to change the subject but I miss the noce Pickerel days on the south end. Use to fish there starting 30 years ago and they were plentyful. I went a few years ago and didn't see or hear of one.
What happened to them.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:02 PM »
     I was probably fishing right next to you back then. They were a lot in the lake back in the day . now its the Bass that are plentiful. Could be any number of reasons as to why they declined. But I'm not a Biologist so couldn't give you a straight answer.
      The lake has changed a lot over the years.
How's the ice

Offline fish4fun8

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:04 PM »
people threw them on the ice for the sea rats lol

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:05 PM »
yea its freaking lame. its been terrible for like the last 3 years i mean really ad. my buddy can smell the lake from his house miles away

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 15, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I caught and released a 29" pickerel on the south end last week, my personal best. But u are right on about the bass. They are fun to catch though

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Jan 15, 2014, 03:33 PM »

I remember back in college once when I went up to check out Honeoye. Nasty algae bloom and the year was 1970. Also, another one of our favorite spots, Silver, had the worse algae bloom I ever saw in 1971. They did not cut weeds back then either. I kind of think that direct sewage and fertilizer caused the problem back then. They stopped that and both lakes cleared for a while. Next thing you know, they cut the weeds and the alge bloom comes back. Blue green algae (Cyanobacteria) live off of dead vegetation and cause it to decay giving off all those toxins. Weed cutting is just not sound and hurts the ecosystem in a variety of ways.  My 2 cents!

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 17, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Got out with my dad and bros yesterday. Managed to pick up 2 nice deep water Bluegills and a nice perch. The bro also picked up a nice keeper perch and we caught plenty of small ones. Saw 2 smallies on the camera as well and the one was pushing 3.5lbs by the looks of him. teased me by tapping the jig 3 times but wouldn't grab it.

Offline cgondoli1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:24 PM »
anything biting lately?

Offline cgondoli1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I'll be out there Sunday.

Offline cgondoli1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Ok this #3. Going to check the reports now

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:19 PM »
Was on Honeoye 1/26, 2 keeper Bluegills and a few dinks, south end, west side
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 28, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Check around this site, there no less than three active Honeoye Lake threads. The fishing has been outstanding depending on what you are after. My brother inlaw and I have been catching double digit numbers of bass and pickerel on tip ups just about anywhere we go, my wife and I caught 15 pickerel between 7:00AM- 11:00AM one morning. stay away from the crowds. I have fished exclusivley for walleye 4 -5 days and have limited 3 of those days, with one day taking 45 min to limit. If you are after the perch it sounds as if they have been a bit on the finicky side, I don't fish for them too often on Honeoye. Stay away from the crowds and stick to the basics, good green weed line and you should have no problem. Crowds don't always mean great fishing. Take care.

Offline Flandango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:13 AM »
does anybody have any info on the kids clinic  this weekend on Honeoye Lake?  My son is 4 and loves to go fishing having a hard time catching anything though.  This is my first year ice fishing and I suck, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #84 on: Jan 28, 2014, 08:47 AM »
does anybody have any info on the kids clinic  this weekend on Honeoye Lake?  My son is 4 and loves to go fishing having a hard time catching anything though.  This is my first year ice fishing and I suck, any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

6th Annual Kids Ice Fishing Clinic

Sponsored by the Honeoye Fish and Game Club

Saturday, February 1st
Honeoye Lake State Boat Launch (East Lake Road)
On ice clinic presentation by Scott Brauer of Maki Plastic starts at 9am

Kids will have the opportunity to fish with our Ice Staff immediately following the presentation.  All equipment, bait and refreshments will be provided.  All kids will take home ice fishing equipment.

For more information call Al Lis at (585)-451-8451

Sponsors Include
Maki Plastic
Clam Corp
Ted’s Tackle
HT Enterprises
Kodiak Jigs
Lowes
------------------------------------

Come on down and have some fun. It's a great time and i'm sure I can speak for the others that help, we really enjoy seeing the kids (and parents) getting excited about this great sport.
Pete Lewis

Offline Flandango

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 28, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Sounds good we'll be down their on the 1st.

Offline bobdboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 28, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Yes I remember 30 years ago the fishing on the Sout end was awesome for Pickeral. It was a thrill to watch the flags and bring home a mess of them. Perch then were not plentiful but we got a few.
I might have to consider a trip out to try it out again. They are one sweet tasting fish.
A bad day fishing is better than being at work.

Offline jjure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:15 AM »
can you take a 4 wheeler out of the state launch silver lake SP wont allow them it would be nice to know before i make the trip down on sun

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #88 on: Jan 31, 2014, 05:07 AM »
can you take a 4 wheeler out of the state launch silver lake SP wont allow them it would be nice to know before i make the trip down on sun
Very good question. I thought you were not allowed but I watched sleds and wheelers drive down the ramp and on to the ice.  Not complaining but if its OK im bringing mine ???

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 31, 2014, 06:04 AM »
I think you can @ Honeoye, we did last year quite a few times with no issues.   They have car races on the north end.....
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.