Author Topic: Jig rod suggestions  (Read 37308 times)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Jig rod suggestions
« on: Dec 24, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Ive been poking around looking for a new jig rod to add to my small collection. My eyeballs are bleeding from reading, so I figured maybe Id simply ask for some input here. Im not jigging for anything specific usually, so I want a rod that can overlap species. Im not talking big pike, but more the likes of panfish to a brown trout or the occasional pickerel. I have a 27" Rhino Indestuctable med action with graphite core that I really like, and a 24" HT Iceman med action that Im not too partial to. The HT is pretty stiff for what Id call a med action. Id like to get something that is lighter and longer to add to these.

Some things Im looking for in the the jig pole....

- At least 26 inch, but looking for 28 to 30" and not much longer than 32".

- Prefer glass blank.

- Prefer cork handle with reel seats.

- Hook holder.

- Light action, or maybe a med/light that isnt stiff.

- No snake guides.

- At least 3 eyelets plus tip.

- Under $30 would be sensible to me.

I dont need a reel combo deal because Id probably put my own reel on the rod anyway, but I WOULD buy a combo just to get the rod Im looking for.

A few that Ive found that I considered.... Any opinions of these?

- Northland Trick-Stick Classic 26" light action combo. I wish I could find this in just a rod, because Id give it a shot with one of my Shimano reels on it. Seems like it could be a pretty versatile rod. Not glass though.

- South Bend Thin Ice 27" light action. No hook holder and its EVA handle. I could add a hook holder for what the rod costs though, and its glass blank.

- South Bend FrostBite 27" med/light action. No hook holder and EVA handle. Again, I could add the hook holder myself. Not sure how light they are though.

Dunno, my eyes are bleeding again..... Any thoughts?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Jig rod suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Well, I cant help you much but I think I can a little. Do you plan to watch the tip for bites or feel them? If you are a tip watcher, I would suggest an HT Ice Blue in light action. The tip is pretty sensitive but not sensitive enough to move with light panfish bites (dont know a light action that will). It is a graphite rod with a glass tip I believe. If you plan to jig panfish and maybe catch a trout or pike, I would HIGHLY suggest getting an ultra-light action. Has plenty of backbone to handle a trout or pike with 3 or 4lb test. They retail for like $8 or $9 and are used by MANY serious ice fisherman, so dont let the price fool you. Believe they have a 30" version.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 02:36 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply BBK.

I would mostly be going by feel when jigging, but sometimes I set it in the rod holder to check traps/make coffee/take a wiz.

Occasionally I rig up a pole with a live shiner and just set it in the holder and let it swim deep too.

Was that the Blue Ice "Jig stick" or the "Pro" or the "Super flex" you were referring to? I was looking at the 30" Super flex on FishUSA but it has the snake guides and has a spring bobber tip that I dont want.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:01 PM »
Hey thanks for the reply BBK.

I would mostly be going by feel when jigging, but sometimes I set it in the rod holder to check traps/make coffee/take a wiz.

Occasionally I rig up a pole with a live shiner and just set it in the holder and let it swim deep too.

Was that the Blue Ice "Jig stick" or the "Pro" or the "Super flex" you were referring to? I was looking at the 30" Super flex on FishUSA but it has the snake guides and has a spring bobber tip that I dont want.

If you are jigging for panfish, you want the flexible tip. That is why the Ice blues, or the jason mitchell meatstick are so popular. The fish can pull on the tip without feeling the full strength of the rod. I cant imagine jigging with a medium light solid rod for panfish, you would miss more fish than you would feel, no doubt about that. UL for panfish and small trout (up to 20"). L for perch or hard biting crappie, medium light and medium for walleye/pike jigging. The ice blues do not have spring bobbers, they have a very sensitive fiberglass tip.

Matched with 2-4lb line, the ice blue UL can not be beat for panfish.

http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Super-Flex-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Yeah thats why Im looking for a light action rod, so I can feel the bites better. The ultralights Ive tested have been like a wet spagetti noodle with little back bone. That would be fine for panfish, but Id like it to have a tad more strength. Hence why Im looking for a light action.

The link you posted isnt working, but from what I can see the Ice Blue Super Flex come with spring tips.

From the FishUSA site,

--The Ice Blue "Super Flex" is part of HT's Ice Blue Ultra Light Series and is one of the most sensitive rods we carry. They offer a sensitive spring bobber like rod tip for those light biting fish.--

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:46 PM »
"Spring bobber like tips" Not spring bobbers. It means the very tip bends extremely easily allowing you to feel the bites. With a light action, you wont feel the light crappie and gill bites. You will feel them when they pull away, but that is about it. When you go for that extra backbone with a light action, you loose the ability to feel the light bites as you would with an ultra-light.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Oh I thought they came with spring bobber tips.

Im going to have to re-think my search I guess, and look at some different UL rods now too. Great... LOL

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:09 PM »
I saw the Frabill Enticer Deadstick 28" while digging too, Im assuming that has a very light tip as well?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2010, 05:55 PM »
A 28" ML power St.Croix Premiere is one of the most versatile, most sensitive rod you can get for the price of $20.  It's a carbon fiber rod.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:24 PM »
If you're looking to jig and tight line for panfish you should consider an UL rod.  I recommend the frabill panfish popper.  I have 3 in the UL and I cut off the spring bobber.  In my opinion they have the perfect size guides and being 24" they work perfect in my fish trap pro. They have a very soft tip for the shy biters but solid blank for large fish...I have iced several bass to 5lbs and couple pike over 30".  The reel is a little better on this years models but i still replace em with a pflueger president or trion.  I also have a st croix premier UL that is a very nice rod also.  It may be a touch stiffer than the popper UL but works very well for tight line jigging with 1-3lb line and tiny jigs.
]

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:48 PM »
A 28" ML power St.Croix Premiere is one of the most versatile, most sensitive rod you can get for the price of $20.  It's a carbon fiber rod.

There doesnt look to be reel seats on that model though, and that is a must have in my search.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:56 PM »
If you're looking to jig and tight line for panfish you should consider an UL rod.  I recommend the frabill panfish popper.  I have 3 in the UL and I cut off the spring bobber.  In my opinion they have the perfect size guides and being 24" they work perfect in my fish trap pro. They have a very soft tip for the shy biters but solid blank for large fish...I have iced several bass to 5lbs and couple pike over 30".  The reel is a little better on this years models but i still replace em with a pflueger president or trion.  I also have a st croix premier UL that is a very nice rod also.  It may be a touch stiffer than the popper UL but works very well for tight line jigging with 1-3lb line and tiny jigs.

Well thats the thing, Im not really looking to jig just for panfish. Im looking for something that can do an average job at panfish, but a good job at perch/trout/bass.

Im not really a jigging guy by nature, but I was looking to give it more effort this winter. I do know that I dont want a spring bobber tip though, and if they can be removed I would do that. Do those Panfish Poppers have a real tip underneath that spring bobber?

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2010, 07:08 PM »
The Clam Genz Power Stick 26" light action looks like one of the rods I'll be looking for in the stores to give it the eyeball test. Glass blank, cork handle with reel seats, hook keeper with a sensitive tip.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2010, 03:40 PM »
How about a Shakespeare Ugly Stick Lite. 25" light. 26" ultralight.  27" medium.

I also like these rods.  They can take a beating, but they're a little on the dull side.  I personally don't have much use for the light power model, but it works decent as a slip bobber rod.  The ultralight model is very respectable for lure weights of 1/8 oz. to 1/64 oz.  The medium works okay with heavier lures and functions just fine as a walley rod especially for Jig'N Raps and Buckshots.

You will usually John Thelen from Lindy Fishing Tackle use an Ugly Stick Lite.  ;D

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Actually Bob, I went back and looked (online) at the Ugly Stik Lite 26 UL rod. I have a 5'6" Lite Pro for open water and its a great rod.

Definately one I'll be looking for in stores and ebay. Thanks for the suggestion!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I wish they would put a fast tip on those Ugly Stik Lite rods like from their baitcasting rods instead of using a rod tip like from their spinning rods.  That would be like plus points for me for buying more of them.  Even if they could just make them longer it would do it for me as well.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:22 PM »
I use to fish with a variety of Lightning rods and ugly stiks.  A few years ago I won an ice-fishing contest and part of the the prize was a set of 3 Frabill Ultra-Ice rods, from 26" UL, 28" light and 30" ML.  I haven't used my old rods ever since except for the attractor rod with a Pimple/Kastmaster.  These are superior jigging rods for trout and panfish, have landed some larger lakers and pike on the medium light. They are excellent, have a cork handle with a woven graphite reel seat and oversize guides that rarely freeze up.  I think they retail for about $30 at the Sportsman's Warehouses around here.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:34 AM »
I saw the Frabil Ice Hunter rods BrownTime, which looked like a good option for sure.

I havent seen the Ultra Ice rods yet, guess I gotta check into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:08 PM »
I saw the Frabil Ice Hunter rods BrownTime, which looked like a good option for sure.

I havent seen the Ultra Ice rods yet, guess I gotta check into them. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you want Ultra-light action and do e-bay, there are two ultra's on e-bay right now for 16.99 ea plus shipping.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:48 PM »
Yeah Brownie, I try to scour ebay like a starving hawk. LOL Found great deals there on tackle.

Ive got a dozen or so jig rods on my watch list right now, but I wanted to glean some more info on the rods  before buying one. (or 3) Theres so many out there its kinda hard to pick one!

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Well I picked up a South Bend Alpine 27" light action rod the other day, and it seems like a pretty good rod in my non-expert opinion. Its graphite blank, with a cork handle and locking (screw) reel seats and a semi fast tip. Hook holder too.

Now to decide on some better line..... Im seriously thinking of grabbing some Berkley Fireline Micro Ice in smoke 6lb test. Any opinion?

Offline Iceman421

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2011, 06:24 PM »
If you are jigging for panfish, you want the flexible tip. That is why the Ice blues, or the jason mitchell meatstick are so popular. The fish can pull on the tip without feeling the full strength of the rod. I cant imagine jigging with a medium light solid rod for panfish, you would miss more fish than you would feel, no doubt about that. UL for panfish and small trout (up to 20"). L for perch or hard biting crappie, medium light and medium for walleye/pike jigging. The ice blues do not have spring bobbers, they have a very sensitive fiberglass tip.

Matched with 2-4lb line, the ice blue UL can not be beat for panfish.

http://www.fishusa.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Super-Flex-Ice-Fishing-Rods_p.html

+1 for the Ice Blue rod. I also like the Clam Ice Buster rod, it's their $20 combo and works great.

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:15 PM »
Frabill has the bro series rods out and they have one called the deadstick. its 28 inches long and this rod is incredible. it has the back bone of a medium but it has the tip of a ultra light. ment for deadsticking live bait but can also be used to jig buddy was running a jiggin rap on it no problem. I know you wanted a glass blank but this one is graphite and has a cork hand with a screw in reel seat  The combo goes for 44.99 on Reeds but if your a vip they knock 5 bucks off. i comes paired with a 5 +1 ball bearing bro series reel with the push button fold down handle.  but like anything else its better to go look at the things in person and work them in the store like you would be jigging with them and when you find something that Feels right then you no its right then get that one. or better yet find someone who has some of the mentioned rods and try them out on the ice.    and i will also give a nod to the ice blues. great rods at an inexpensive price a little fragile but whole lot of fun catching fish on them

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Frabill has the bro series rods out and they have one called the deadstick. its 28 inches long and this rod is incredible. it has the back bone of a medium but it has the tip of a ultra light. ment for deadsticking live bait but can also be used to jig buddy was running a jiggin rap on it no problem. I know you wanted a glass blank but this one is graphite and has a cork hand with a screw in reel seat  The combo goes for 44.99 on Reeds but if your a vip they knock 5 bucks off. i comes paired with a 5 +1 ball bearing bro series reel with the push button fold down handle.  but like anything else its better to go look at the things in person and work them in the store like you would be jigging with them and when you find something that Feels right then you no its right then get that one. or better yet find someone who has some of the mentioned rods and try them out on the ice.    and i will also give a nod to the ice blues. great rods at an inexpensive price a little fragile but whole lot of fun catching fish on them

I looked online at a Frabill 28" deadstick combo, but Im not sure if its the Bro series or not. I think its the Enticer one. I was wondering if they were any good. Never heard of Reeds, I guess I gotta look them up.

Im looking to do more jigging this year, so I want to add some different rods to my collection to have some options out there.

How about the Berkley Fireline Micro Ice in smoke 6lb test for jigging line?

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Reeds is a sporting goods site alot of guys on here order from there. i forgot frabill has the 28 inch deadstick enticer that is fiberglass think its only twenty buck bet it has the feel of and ice blue.     

heres a link to reeds for the enticer deadstick   http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=18881&pc=3305

heres a link to reeds with the bro series deadstick   http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=22922&pc=2510

Reeds is a good site Sign up for their vip membership its free and they offer lots of discounts thru it for example the enticer deadstick is 17.99 if your a member and 19.99 if your not yea its only two bucks but thats two  bucks toward bait ya no. 

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Yeah Ive been looking through the online store for a bit, thanks for the heads up.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:25 PM »
REEDS  a great place to shop !
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Ok, I figured Id update my quest a little and ask for some more input. So far Ive got 5 jig rods for various uses. Im still trying to match the reels and line to them though...

27" Rhino Indestructible medium graphite core - Mostly for jigging large jigs and deadsticking a live shiner if Im sitting outside. The 6lb Fireline Fused Micro Ice line seems like it works well for this rod application, although it ices up quite a bit.

28" HT Arctic Bay QX light carbon - Kind of stiff for a light, so its for heavier jigs and deadsticking when Im outside. Im trying 3lb Micro Ice in steel color on this.

27" South Bend Alpine light graphite  - I use the 2lb Trilene Micro Ice in steel color and jig with micro jigs. Works pretty good.

26" Frabill Amplifier light carbon - Dunno about this one.... Not real fast, but the rubber discs in the handle amplify every tic of the jig. Light jigs with 2lb line??? Dunno yet.

27" HT Polar Lite M-L graphite (very noodly tip section) - Awesome rod for 11 bucks at Wally World. Seems to be great for #10 Ratso jigs and micro jigs. This is the rod Im looking for some light line for.

Reels are mostly HT 4bb Accucasts (not bad reels IMO), with one Genz Power Stick reel (My shimano ULs drag sux in the cold)

Line is Trilene micro ice 3lb and 2lb steel color. Ive got some 6lb Trilene superline too, but Im not too fond of. Also some HT 5.9lb? ice mono in a kind of ice tea color, but it seems decent for mid-weight jigs. Going to try some Sunline 3lb mono/floro stuff soon. Dunno...

Id like to try Pline Floroice, but Ive read conflicting reviews here. Any thoughts on a good lb test for micro jigs? Seems like it breaks easy by some comments, and Im wondering if its worth taking a chance on the 2lb.

Id also like to try some Gamma ESP, but it seems its pretty hard to find. Any thoughts?

The Asso "ice heavy" is another line Id like to experiment with. Not sure why it only comes in yellow and brown though. Hows the brown do?

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2011, 12:45 PM »
I have 3 of the Frabill Ice Hunter rods. Bought them this year with a gift card I got from Fleet Farm for xmas. I got the 26" Quick Tip for pannies, 26" Light for perch/whities and the 26" medium for eyes. I picked them up for $29.99 / rod.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2011, 04:09 PM »
I was going to try the Ice Hunter 26 light, but the wife gave me the hairy eyeball when I mentioned Id like to get one.

Seem like she is of the opinion I have "enough" ice fishing stuff. LOL I figure at this rate of searching for rods, I will end up needing 12 to cover my bases. That doesnt seem excessive to me... :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.